The Ultimate Harry Potter Thread

Lady Tesser 06-29-2005 08:26 PM
Hey, anybody geeky enough to want to party with other Harry Potter-philes at the stroke of midnight when "Half Blood Prince" is released, you can probably find a bookstore Potter Party in your city.

Most are having costume contests. Big Grin
pen1300 06-30-2005 08:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser
Hey, anybody geeky enough to want to party with other Harry Potter-philes at the stroke of midnight when "Half Blood Prince" is released, you can probably find a bookstore Potter Party in your city.

Most are having costume contests. Big Grin

OH my gosh, you just made my life slightly easier! THANK YOU! I actually am supposed to be planning the Harry Potter Release Party at work (and run it) and thusfar...I haven't done anything except gather a few books. I really need to sit down and read them so I can discuss it with everyone. LOL

Hey...they don't have the one book store listed. I'll have to add it.

14 days until it's released! OH dear...

Later,
Pen1300
Yomiko 07-01-2005 03:33 PM
You know whats sad? The weekend that the book comes out is the weekend that we're in Minneapolis and I have a copy reserived at Waldenbooks in our mall and I'm a huge fan. Crying
angelcakes 07-12-2005 12:09 PM
quote:
Harry Potter Book Sold by Accident
By Associated Press

COQUITLAM, British Columbia - A handful of people in Canada got a sneak peak of the latest Harry Potter book, but a British Columbia Supreme Court judge ordered them to keep it a secret.

The book was sold to 14 people who snagged a copy of J.K. Rowlings' much anticipated "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," when it landed on shelves last Thursday at a local grocery store.

The book, officially set for release this coming Saturday, has been shrouded in secrecy and its debut has been highly orchestrated to enable everyone - readers, reviewers, even publishers - to crack it open all at once. It's the sixth in Rowling's seven-book fantasy series on the young wizard.

But the store slipped up and sold 14 copies before realizing its mistake.

"It was an inadvertent error on behalf of one of our staff," said Geoff Wilson, a spokesman for the Real Canadian Superstore. He said the books were quickly removed.

Justice Kristi Gill last Saturday ordered customers not to talk about the book, copy it, sell it or even read it before it is officially released at 12:01 a.m. July 16.

The order also compels them to return the novel to the publisher, Raincoast Book Distribution Ltd., until the official release. At that time it will be returned to them.

As an added incentive, Raincoast will include Rowling's autograph and a gift pack.

Seems like something like this always happens around the time it's gonna come out. But the incentives are really cool... Shocked

Original Link
paul1290 07-13-2005 12:27 PM
The news article.

quote:
Lawyers have conjured up a court order to stop details from the next Harry Potter book being revealed ahead of its official release, after several copies were sold by accident in Canada ahead of its official publication date on Saturday.

Raincoast Books, which is distributing Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in Canada, was granted a "John Doe injunction" by the British Columbia Supreme Court, preventing the buyers from revealing aspects of the novel’s plot.

Such information could prove valuable ahead of the book's release. Online bookmakers have been taking bets on just which leading character will perish in the sixth installment of JK Rowling's hugely successful series.

Police were reportedly involved in investigating suspicious betting patterns, which publishers feared suggested complex security measures had been breached.

The franchise has been lucrative for JK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books. She increased her wealth again this year, from an estimated £435 million in 2004 to £500 million, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.

Potter fans and Raincoast staff are now scouring the internet in case details from The Half Blood Prince are made available online, after around 15 copies were bought from a bookshop near Vancouver.

It is though that at least one copy had been offered for sale on eBay, the internet auction site, but was withdrawn when Ms Rowling's agents became involved.

Raincoast said: "It is not the intention of Raincoast to penalise the small group of fans who have innocently purchased a book in good faith.

"We look to them to ensure that the excitement and mystery of the story is preserved for fans around the world until July 16 by co-operating with us."

The court ordered all the copies be returned to the distributor, which has offered autographs from Ms Rowling, the book’s billionaire author, as a reward.

A Raincoast spokesman said some of the purchasers had already voluntarily returned their copies. But commentators have criticised the court for being heavy-handed.

Michael Geist, who holds the Canada Research Chair in Internet and E-commerce Law at the University of Ottawa, said: "People have legitimately purchased the book, yet now face violation of a court order if they fail to return it immediately, discuss it, or do anything else with the book.

"Why the court would grant such a broad order that reaches down to the underlying purchasers?" he asked, suggesting it could lead the way to "a real horror story".

The Half Blood Prince will have endured an eventful journey by the time the 11 million copies already printed reach the public.

A British newspaper reporter has already claimed that he was shot at in an attempt to recover the book and return it to its publishers in the UK, after an advance copy was allegedly offered for sale.

However, despite the unprecedented security operation mounted around successive Potter releases, previous instalments have also slipped through the net. In 2003, a Wal-Mart store in Quebec accidentally sold copies of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix before the release date.

All this just to keep people from reading a book before the release date?
That's really messed up.
X Prime 07-13-2005 12:41 PM
...I'm tempted to make a political comment, but I'll refrain. Nonetheless that injunction is frigging bizarre.

All this over a stupid book that will no doubt be forgotten in the next decades... Ridiculous.
evanASF27 07-13-2005 12:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
All this over a stupid book that will no doubt be forgotten in the next decades... Ridiculous.

I can identify a good number of people I know at school that would lynch you for saying that Tongue There are some hardcore/die-hard fans of HP out there, yup. Pleased
But still...X and Paul are right, that is really quite strange O_o
Lady Tesser 07-13-2005 02:19 PM
The workers at the grocery store must have been the only people in the world who hadn't heard about Harry Potter.

BTW - I bet you anything within twenty years several HP chapters will be part of a literature anthology for the classroom and students will be forced to analyze Ms. Rowling's writing. HP has become part of the pop culture of the 1990's and early twenty-first century, and he's not going to go away. Considering the quality of HP symposiums and conventions that are adults only and strictly for the academic crowd, this isn't just a 'kid's book'.

And I WILL say it - don't ruin other people's belief in suspense and magic because you don't have any. Anything worse than a rabid fan, it's a rabid pessimist that never got to be a child.
BigPrime 07-13-2005 04:55 PM
It's really silly to try and treat a book release the way they treat movie releases. With movies, it's easier to control because there are only so many prints in any theater and if necessary, they can be locked away until release night. Also, the theater holds onto the prints until they're done with them so you can control how many times it is shown, etc.

With books, they're sent out and most of the time, if they arrive before their intended street date, they just get put up anyways. You can't fault the employees for doing what they do with any other book for the one book that gets celebrity treatment. After all, if it's there on the shelf, the store selling the books has already *bought* them, they just resell them to the customer. JK Rowlings will still get her money, the publisher's will still get theirs. God's in his heaven, all's right with the world. But the world of copyright law rarely intersects with reality these days, so things like this aren't to be totally unexpected.

In regards to how history will view Harry Potter, who can say for sure? However, fantasy works, no matter how well written do not generally enter into the literary canon of academia. Actually, this isn't a bad thing because many of those works are insufferably boring, but none the less, it will likely be relegated to cult status after a time rather than continue to be the phenomenon that it is today.
Mr. Fortnight 07-14-2005 12:39 AM
The 16th is the release date?

Uh oh... Target is in trouble, then. I think I spotted the books being sold at the one near me.

I think this leak is quite big...
Volt 07-14-2005 02:04 AM
Where's the law prohibiting people from telling me spoilers from a movie? This is all so overexaggerated. It's a book. People read it and talk about it. And there are always holes in betting games. So, you know... lame. Lame lame lame lame lame.
pen1300 07-14-2005 07:49 PM
The Early Relase thing: I think this has to be one of THE TIGHTEST I have yet to see. The director had to sign a legally binding contract about not letting it out early if we get it early.

Thank you for the link LT! It helped me plan my Potter Party I'm hosting tomorrow night. I've been enjoying making the Namebadges (they are the houses!). I'll have to scan in my prototypes. I think they are really hot. I also made some triva questions and bingo cards. I hope the party goes well. It was SO hard finding Harry Potter things. There's like NOTHING.

As to the books, I'm half reading and half listening to them. Thusfar, I prefer the first movie over the first book. I really didn't enjoy it and found it dull. The second book was MUCH better and I think the third one will be a good one to read/hear. I def. will not finish all of them by the time the newest comes out (but Mommy owns them).

Lockhart is my favorite character. I don't know FULLY why (part of it may be that Kenneth Branagh played him and I love when he does Shakespeare!) I like the more minor characters like that for some reason.

Later,
Pen1300
Lady Tesser 07-15-2005 08:10 PM
Glad I could help, Pen. Hope the party goes well for you!

Oh, yes, here's what happens when I consume too many Irish creams and goof off with my original fanfic characters.

Better do what the Auror here says, kiddies -
pen1300 07-15-2005 09:09 PM
LOL, great picture!

I'm coming to you LIVE from my own Harry Potter Party. After a rocky start of Pin the Tail on the Dudders, the night slightly improved with my version of Wizard Bingo. After that, there was Pizza and pretzel wand making. Then it was HufflePuff Vs Slytherin (it was the way the sorting hat worked) at Trivia, which all the kids enjoyed. Some have left, but others are here for the movie.

I think for my first party, I did well. They are really enjoying the movie (I hope), none of them have left to try and do something. (The teens were running around with their cell phones).

I'm at Chapter 11 of Prisoner of Azkaban. I enjoy listening to them more than reading. Midnight is going to be fun when we pick the four lucky kids who get to check the book out first!

I hope you other wizards, witches, and muggles are enjoying your Harry Potter parties (if you went to one).

Later,
Pen1300
Travis Bickle 07-16-2005 02:06 AM
I went to a Harry Potter release party.

It wasn't my intention, but since our Starbucks is right next to a Barnes and Noble, and all these kids wanted their goddamn frappachinos, it was a party alright.

I'm not a Potter fan at all, btw. Just for the record...
Mr. Fortnight 07-16-2005 03:24 AM
Well, all I gotta say, is don't google the net for a while regarding The Half Blood Prince because Teh spoilers are flying, and the shock of the decade is to be seen.

But, to be a sport... I will not say, since I got spoiled.

I hate you... Intarweb.
BethMcBeth 07-16-2005 11:37 AM
I recently saw a clip for the Goblet of Fire movie and wow let me say those kids have grown up so much on screen when you compare all the movies its amazing how much older they now look!

-Beth
Big Money 07-16-2005 12:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
Well, all I gotta say, is don't google the net for a while regarding The Half Blood Prince because Teh spoilers are flying, and the shock of the decade is to be seen.

But, to be a sport... I will not say, since I got spoiled.

I hate you... Intarweb.

Yeah. Yeah, I did to Crying ... But I'm doing a pretty good job of forgetting it...
IanC 07-16-2005 01:46 PM
Well at 7:00 PM BST i finshed reading the 6th book (started reading at around 12:30 Midday)

And yeah, what an ending. Crying

At least the school kids are starting to act like teenagers
spoiler (highlight to read):
Harry and Ginny, although it dont last long.
Mike 07-16-2005 03:08 PM
Anyone else heard about the crazy precaher-types saying that the new book is sending kids to hell?

I remember people going on about that when the previous book came out, too. Nobody really cared and they were soon forgotten. Kinda like how that one guy torched Pokemon toys and cards during his sermon because they were demons or something.