Episode 16 Discussion: "That Which is Lost"

Shredder 02-26-2005 10:23 PM
Hi, everyone, it's almost time for episode 16 of FMA. I noticed last week that not many people commented on the episode, so I hope that doesn't mean you guys have stopped watching! Stay with it, it's still a great series, despite the so-so dub. Enjoy the show! Happy
evanASF27 02-26-2005 10:42 PM
Poor Al...Poor Ed....

luggage and being stuck with a big self-adoring goon...can't get any better than THAT, eh? Roll Eyes
Green_Bird 02-26-2005 11:02 PM
My reason for not commenting was it was going to be the same as the others, Good episode as always....

But, now for this one. Yes it was a good episode as always, it was also funny....Al's "...I will eat your soul!" thing was funny Laughing ....So was him getting stuck in the sheep car. But it also had some deep point's too....

It's getting better all the time Big Grin ...
Tickle Tickle 02-26-2005 11:06 PM
I've been watching the show. So far, it's an boderline with 'pretty okay/pretty good' show for me.

The art and animation are pretty good. The plot and stuff are good, although one thing bugs the crap out of me. The really out of place 'anime' humor moments. It's just, ackward. And don'st seem to fit in with the show at all. It would be like if Big O started to have Roger and the gang getting sweat drops.

The show is enjoyable.. to watch on TV. As nice as the release is that Funimation is putting out, I doubt I'll buy it on DVD anytime soon...

One more thing, Funimation needs to hire more females voices. Laura Bailey CANNOT do 'sexy' voices. They've had her do them before, and they just don't work. She should stick to more 'innocent' roles like Tohru from Fruits Basket.

Also, something I meant to ask last week. Is 'Envy' a he or a she? 'It' has the voice of a woman, and a VERY flat chest...
Schwarzwald27 02-26-2005 11:07 PM
Hmm, fairly good episode. No shocking events or anything but it was amusing at least.

At least it had the Strong Arm alchemist in it, I for one find him hilarious with his constant sparkles and seemingly a tradition for everything...I don't see why Ed had to be unkind to him...
Green_Bird 02-26-2005 11:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Umino
I've been watching the show. So far, it's an boderline with 'pretty okay/pretty good' show for me.

The art and animation are pretty good. The plot and stuff are good, although one thing bugs the crap out of me. The really out of place 'anime' humor moments. It's just, ackward. And don'st seem to fit in with the show at all. It would be like if Big O started to have Roger and the gang getting sweat drops.

The show is enjoyable.. to watch on TV. As nice as the release is that Funimation is putting out, I doubt I'll buy it on DVD anytime soon...

One more thing, Funimation needs to hire more females voices. Laura Bailey CANNOT do 'sexy' voices. They've had her do them before, and they just don't work. She should stick to more 'innocent' roles like Tohru from Fruits Basket.

Also, something I meant to ask last week. Is 'Envy' a he or a she? 'It' has the voice of a woman, and a VERY flat chest...

Envy's a guy....believe it ot not.....Androgynous maybe and voiced by a woman, but still a guy....Go figure....

Accualy I just think that FMA is like Trigun and the moments it had....So I accualy don't mind it. I mean sure Trigun did have some serious episodes twards the end and from what I herd FMA is going to be the same way....
Krang 02-27-2005 02:12 AM
Another good episode with lots of funny moments. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Umino

Hmm, maybe it's because I'm used to seeing them throughout various anime, but it never occurred to me that the anime-style reactions would bother anyone. If that's the only thing that's keeping you from enjoying the show, I recommend you keep watching, since, as Green_Bird mentioned, you'll see less of it as time goes on.
Sephiroth 02-27-2005 07:57 AM
I thought it was a really good episode. There were a lot more parts focused on Lust and Gluttony which I was happy about. We got to see exactly how strong the two of them are as well. Al's story about being a demon armor was pretty funny as was Armstrong's constant repitition of how he had learned something from his family. Is it just me, or does that family excel at everything? All in all, really good episode, and the Lust/Gluttony segments make it one of my favorites.
Wingnut 02-27-2005 09:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
I thought it was a really good episode. There were a lot more parts focused on Lust and Gluttony which I was happy about. We got to see exactly how strong the two of them are as well. Al's story about being a demon armor was pretty funny as was Armstrong's constant repitition of how he had learned something from his family. Is it just me, or does that family excel at everything? All in all, really good episode, and the Lust/Gluttony segments make it one of my favorites.

It does seem like it. I was thinking "Is there anything that isn't passed doen for generations in the Armstrong line?" On the downside the guy probably can't get a steady girlfriend to save his life.
I suspect some serious Ed/Winry moments in the comeing episode.
Zopwx2 02-27-2005 12:21 PM
I'm not a huge fan of "anime humor" but its not really a huge problem for me.

Anyway this is kind of a foreshadowing episode.

The strongarm guy is actually pretty funny, with his bulgning muscles and sparkles all around. and the scenes with the kid picking up the armour was funny.

But whats going to show up in future episodes is whatever marco hid in the library and whatever the hell lust is.

Does anyone remember what was written on the note that he gave them? The truth is hidden behind truths.... or somthing similar.
fractyl2 02-27-2005 02:34 PM
Michael Seebach: Marcoh's note did not just refer to the Philosopher's Stone...But to Basque's projects & the shocker behind the mystery woman, Lust, & her partners.

But to note{For Videogame fans}, the events of "Broken Angel" take place bewteen Ed getting his arm fixed & arriving at Central City.
Instro 02-27-2005 03:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Hi, everyone, it's almost time for episode 16 of FMA. I noticed last week that not many people commented on the episode, so I hope that doesn't mean you guys have stopped watching! Stay with it, it's still a great series, despite the so-so dub. Enjoy the show! Happy

I looooove this series, so I'll make sure that I post more. Episode 16 is not one of my favorites, I actually thought it was kind of unusually slow. But like all FMA episodes it had some moments that one should pay attention to and remember as the series goes on.

I was really taken aback at how nasty Mustang and Havoc were to Ed. It was really uncalled for. They may be lookers, but they are really shallow guys. Hopefully, they will get their come-uppance at some point in the series...

Based on the constant ribbing he gets from the military guys, it's no wonder that Ed is initially distrustful of Armstrong and put off by him. (Guilt by association, you know.) I have a feeling things are going to change, though. He may come off as a little bit pompous, but I think Armstrong is a stand up guy and he will get to prove himself. After all, he's the only one he offered to protect Ed and Al on their journey.

I do think it's funny that when Armstrong talks, you only see his mustache move. You never see his mouth.

I agree with a lot of you about the appearance of what I call "stupid faces" in anime. Maybe it appeals more to the Japanese audience, but the overuse of it has turned me off to many an anime series. For example, I could never own any Kenshin episodes, because there is way too much in that series. (In fact, I think constantly having Kenshin's eyes bug out degrades the strength of his character, it just ruins it for me.) I would rather spend my hard earned cash on Samurai Champloo or Peacemaker Kurogane.

As for the "stupid faces" we see in FMA, especially after Ed gets called short for the umpteenth time, they are not as bad as they could be. Fortunately, the quality of the writing ends up overshadowing the temporary impact of such moments.
fractyl2 02-27-2005 04:23 PM
Instro: Havoc'll suffer. Thought Mustang's another story, he'll always be a jerk to Ed. Hence why his treating of Ed at the start was not a big surprise to me. He did much worst to Ed.

In the video game, "Stray Rondo"{Between the events of the 1st two episodes, & the Psiren Episode}. Mustang commited arson & pinned it on the Elric Brothers so the two could go to prison{With life sentences} & bust Lieutant Colonel Aston Martins{Thunder Alchemist} out of jail. But once they find him, Mustang shows up with a parole sheet for Matrin{Which annoyed Edward, as going to jail was pointless if Mustang could get someone on parole}.
Madrona 03-10-2005 02:49 AM
Oh I never got a chance to talk about this one.

So, where shall I start? Okay, Havoc and Mustang do seem to be rather harsh. However, I wouldn't take it at face value. They seem to be mean but really, they are doing the Elric brothers a favor and getting them out of town. Scar is still around and they really need a break. Besides, how else are we going to get to see Winry?? Wink

The truth behind truths....yeah...someone remind me..The next time PCF is down, keep me away from online manga Crying Crying Crying ...I read it all. Up to Chapter 40.

Madrona
BabyGhia 03-10-2005 01:11 PM
Bad Madrona! Bad Madrona! Wink Tongue

About Anime Humor, if it's overdone, it does bother me but it really depends on the joke and how often they use it. It really doesn't bug me in Kenshin. I usually laugh at those parts. It's so unexpected but funny to me.

Back to FMA. General random comments as I rewatch it.

It was funny that Al was so happy that Armstrong treated him like a child. But then putting him with the sheep?? Frown And how Ed and Roy treat each other. The little message Hughes gives him and the message Ed gives back. Laughing Rather interesting exchange. I really want to see where the storyline with Lust, Gluttony and all them goes. Nice to see more on how they fit into the story.

Poor Al for being treated like cargo. And then he gets stolen and worn. Armstrong is hilarious. So serious. Great artist though. Kind of an interesting person to watch over Ed. And then Ed's leg gets stolen. Al has an interesting way to explain why he talks. The man had a very good reason not to want a fake leg. What the Ishbal war did to everyone involved in it. Sometimes you forget how young Ed is. He's still learning his way in the world. But he truly loves his brother. And Armstrong certainly has a long line of traditions.

Sorry for the randomness.

BabyGhia
Instro 03-10-2005 09:47 PM
[quote]Originally posted by BabyGhia

It was funny that Al was so happy that Armstrong treated him like a child. But then putting him with the sheep?? Frown

Good point, Baby Ghia! Touche indeed!

I want to believe, however, that although Armstrong does realize that Al is still a person, that when they boarded the train, some train official told Armstrong and Ed that despite that fact that he could talk, Al was considered cargo, not a paying customer. He had to be stashed with the sheep or no train ride for anyone.

This should have been explained better, but I have noticed from time to time, because of time constraints, that even in the best anime that was ever made, there are some plot transitions that leave fans scratching their heads.

On another note, and you'll appreciate this BabyGhia, I reached an important milestone this week and I want the whole world to know.

This week, I made the last payment on my apple green 2000 New Beetle. I own my sweet baby car free and clear and she has only 28,000 miles on her. Smile

When I lived in Florida 5 years ago, one of my next door neighbors in the same apartment complex drove a lovingly refurbished candy apple red Karmann Ghia convertible.

After work, we used to sit on my porch, drink sweet tea, and talk about our love for Volkswagen.