Episode 15 Discussion: "The Ishbal Massacre"

nathjan 02-19-2005 10:31 PM
heres the thread almost forgot it started at 11:30 instead of 12:00.

Enjoy the episode
Raven 02-19-2005 10:56 PM
Ha! Al got blasted! Too bad he survived....
Sephiroth 02-19-2005 11:00 PM
Great Episode! Scar was awesome, and we got to see alot more about the history of this philospher's stone controversy, and what exactly it can do. Armtrong has a cool style of alchemy, and the fact that he could hold his own agianst Scar shows that he is really strong.

One question about this episode:
spoiler (highlight to read):
Was the state alchemist we saw laughing and sitting with the iron blooded alchemist, Greed? He had one of the alchemic circles we see on Lust, Gluttony and Envy on his hand, and I know greed is really old (not as old as Envy though) and has done alot of things, but I doesn't have long hair so I had to ask. The manga never shows that.

Also, we saw that Hawkeye really is the brains behind Mustang, as he didn't even think about the fact that he couldn't fight in the rain.
Shredder 02-19-2005 11:14 PM
Thanks for starting the topic, nathjan! Another great episode. This ep was a good example of the serious side of FMA.

To answer your question, Sephiroth,

No, that was a man named Kimbly. He's another State Alchemist who plays a more important role later. The transmutation circle on his hand was a little different than the ones on Lust, Envy, and Gluttony- he probably drew it on himself to be able to perform alchemy faster. Greed will be coming soon, though.
Sephiroth 02-19-2005 11:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Thanks for starting the topic, nathjan! Another great episode. This ep was a good example of the serious side of FMA.

To answer your question, Sephiroth,

No, that was a man named Kimbly. He's another State Alchemist who plays a more important role later. The transmutation circle on his hand was a little different than the ones on Lust, Envy, and Gluttony- he probably drew it on himself to be able to perform alchemy faster. Greed will be coming soon, though.

Thanks for the clarifaction Shredder. I don't think he is in the manga at all,at least up to the point I've read. So, I was a little confused. Muchas Gracias Senor!
Ano Hito 02-21-2005 09:14 PM
I find it interesting that Roy killed Winry's parents.

Also - does that strong alchemist's mouth ever open?
BabyGhia 02-23-2005 04:27 PM
Interesting tidbit. Decided to look up the VA for Scar. No wonder he sounded familiar. Same person does the voice of the Younger Toguro from YYH.

About the ep... So much happened. Very good episode.
Interesting to hear all the history about the Massacre and the Ishbalans. No wonder Dr. Marcoh decided to leave the State Alchemists. Ugh. What the stuff he worked on did to Ishbal. No wonder Scar wants to kill all Alchemists. What they did.

Can't believe that Scar got Al like that and destroyed Ed's auto-mail arm. So glad that Al lectured Ed after that whole scene with Scar though. Guess we'll learn more about what the stone did to Scar later. Hm...

And Mustang killed Winry's parents by order. Ack!

BabyGhia
Wingnut 02-25-2005 08:45 AM
And thus why Scar sounds like such a badass at times.
I too was shocked to learn that ROy was the one who did that to Winry's parents. Crikey, what will Ed and Al think when they piece that puzzle together?
Madrona 02-25-2005 01:50 PM
Oh Roy feels bad enough as it is. Sure Ed will be mad, plenty mad, when he ties it all together. Do you think Roy has tied it all together? That Ed and Al's childhood friend had parents that he killed? Ed only knows that Winry's parents were killed by an order, not who pulled the trigger.

And that Kimbly guy freaks me out. He appears to be very dangerous.

At least Roy didn't look happy to be doing what he was doing.

I suppose I shouldn't ask this....do we ever find out what happend to Ed and Al's father? Just a yes or no will do. I already read a spoiler today on accident and don't want to do it again.

Madrona
Big Waddle Inferno 02-25-2005 08:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Madrona
And that Kimbly guy freaks me out. He appears to be very dangerous.

He is. The Crimson Alchemist is one bad mofo.

quote:
I suppose I shouldn't ask this....do we ever find out what happend to Ed and Al's father? Just a yes or no will do. I already read a spoiler today on accident and don't want to do it again.

Well the "yes" or "no" would be a spoiler, wouldn't it?

So in keeping with that concept:

Yes.
Zopwx2 02-25-2005 09:49 PM
I saw this episode and liked it, but I felt as though almost everything that had been revealed in this episode was heavily foreshadowed in previous episodes, which kind of lessened the impact.

The only real new thing was that the crystal alchemist killed winry's parents, although thought I caught it immediately when the showed the dead doctors holding a photograph.

Otherwise, good action and drama, Interesting to see how this all turns out....

But I wonder what effect the red stone will have on scar-dudes arm.....

and didn't they give off a vaguely middle eastern muslim type vibe?
nathjan 02-26-2005 07:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]
The only real new thing was that the crystal alchemist killed winry's parents, although thought I caught it immediately when the showed the dead doctors holding a photograph.

No it was Roy Mustang that killed Winry's parents

PiccoloAsn121 02-26-2005 11:42 AM
One of the other characters, I'm pretty sure it was Scar, comments on how he has figured out how Ed does alchemy without using a transmutation circle. But I didn't really understand what he was talking about, can someone explain it?
nathjan 02-26-2005 11:54 AM
Scar was saying that he figured out that ed doesn't have to use a Transmutation circle (which is normally needed to use alchemy) , because his metal arm makes it so he doesn't have to use one.

heres a pic of one of the many transmutation cirlces, if you dont know what a transmutation circle is.

Zopwx2 02-26-2005 02:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by nathjan
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]

No it was Roy Mustang that killed Winry's parents

Close enough Big Grin

Anyway, I also thought it was interesting to learn that his metal arm is what allowed him to transmute without a circle.
fractyl2 02-26-2005 06:23 PM
Nathjan: Actually, Edward does not need the AutoMail to be able to perform Alchemy.
It seems that those who perform/surive human transmutation obtain great power to perform alchemy without transmutation circles.

But Ed needs his AutoMail to perform that stunt as he needs both arms to use this abilty{As shown many times}.
Krang 02-26-2005 10:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by fractyl2
Nathjan: Actually, Edward does not need the AutoMail to be able to perform Alchemy.
It seems that those who perform/surive human transmutation obtain great power to perform alchemy without transmutation circles.

But Ed needs his AutoMail to perform that stunt as he needs both arms to use this abilty{As shown many times}.

Yes, the full reason for why Ed can perform alchemy without a circle will be explained further later on in the series (BTW, please use spoiler tags for events that occur in episodes that haven't been shown yet on AS). But no, the reason does not involve the fact that he has an automail arm.