Big O, Duo & Fau. Full Action Figures!!

lhlam 06-04-2005 01:22 PM
The credibility of this news is out of question. Quite a number of other sites posted the same news around Febuary 2003. Their common source of information is Bandai America itself. This "Mega Size Talking Big O" was listed as one of the items in celebration of Bandai 25th aniversary; all these items were unveiled at the 100th American International Toy Fair in New York City. Here is one more link in regard of this news that still functions (others were already removed):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3062

Notice that it's a Bandai America product, so like the "Anime Collector" series, it would only be available in US, not in Japan, if it was ever manufactured.

So the source of the news is reliable. The problem is, I guess, Bandai never really cares much about The Big O (even up to date). So they could just abruptly change the plan and cancel the Talking Big O without notifying anybody -- actually there was nobody who had in the first place noticed the news of this Talking Big O back in 2003; otherwise people would have protested and highly possibly succeeded in getting the Talking Big O into production line. Too sad, no one, and not me, knew The Big O as well as today.

Hopefully the same thing won't happen to the anticipated Max Factory's Sofubi series. At least we won't let them walk away this time. On Red Alert, man!
Faus_fist 06-12-2005 08:14 PM
Wow I'm amazed this is the first you guys havr heard of it.

I've had Big O since big O aired in the US, and Big Duo for about a year now.
R.Smith 06-12-2005 09:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Faus_fist

You guys who posted about the Big O/Duo figures that have Roger, Dorothy/Angel figures do know this thread isn't about those figures, right?

This was a thread for the MaxFactory "Full Action Figures", of Big O, Duo and Fau.
lhlam 06-16-2005 05:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Faus_fist

There are three DIFFERENT kinds of Big O ACTION figure verifiable in the history.

1) Anime Collector series, produced by Bandai America in 2001, which is what everybody knew.

2) The "Megadeus" series plus a 12-inch Mega Size Talking Big O, both announced by Bandai America in early 2003, but seemingly never actually manufactured. Bandai America has been very irresponsible not to even bother to explain why they abolished the plan.

3) The Max Factory "Soft Vinyl" series, the sale of which was originally scheduled for Spring 2005, but has been apparently delayed and given no other specific date of release. But the three "Big" figures from this series did show up in different exhibitions last year in Japan.

So please read carefully before getting "amazed" for no reason. And let's pray for the Max Factory series so that it won't repeat the same miserable fate of the Megadeus series and the Mega Size Talking Big O. That's the main reason why I've brought the overlooked Megadeus series and the Mega Size Talking Big O up in this context.
Lupin IV 06-16-2005 05:07 PM
Don't forget the miniatures that came out over here not too long ago.
lhlam 06-16-2005 05:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lupin IV
Don't forget the miniatures that came out over here not too long ago.

Thanks for the reminder. I skipped the miniatures because we were talking about articulated "Action Figures," not mini figures that don't really have any articulation for action.
Cecil XIX 06-27-2005 01:02 AM
At ten inches, and with a 'Action Frame,' we're looking at something that could be the very equal of Bandai's Master Grade series.

If only it were 1/100th scale.
Spacehog 06-28-2005 09:00 AM
Does anyone know what the price for these toys would be?
CablesInside 06-29-2005 12:36 AM
when i was ytrying to track down more picturesd of big o stuff from max factory at the 2005 wonderfest, i found this
it was from the 2003 wonderfest, i believe
http://toynewsi.com/article.php?itemid=1049&catid=119
Krang 06-29-2005 01:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Spacehog

Considering the fact that they are garage kits and that they need to be imported, they will probably be somewhat expensive. However, the quality of the figures and the fact that it is a direct way to show your support for Big O should make up for that.
lhlam 06-29-2005 03:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by CablesInside
when i was ytrying to track down more picturesd of big o stuff from max factory at the 2005 wonderfest, i found this
it was from the 2003 wonderfest, i believe
http://toynewsi.com/article.php?itemid=1049&catid=119

Thank you CableInside, you have found what I have been asking around about. What you discovered are the abandoned Bandai America "Megadeus series" and the 12-inch "Talking Big-O" (which is a fully articulated figure, which can TALK and has light-up eyes, arms that transform into gatlings, and a miniature car stored in his foot.) I have provided two different links for further information in this thread. These photos CableInside dug out are the proof that this series and this Talking Big-O were once planned to be produced in 2003 and shown in some exhibition. But for some reason they were abandoned by Bandai America. It seems that there is no way we can find these figures in the market.

Click the following link for further information:
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/2389.html

We hope that the same won't happen to the highly anticipated Max Factory series.
CablesInside 06-29-2005 11:39 AM
well max factory is independent of bandai, and they make what they want because they want
max factory also had a small hand intheproduction of big o, i believe
i heard somewhere that the big vinyl kit that i found was actually used as a reference model by the production team

i might just send max factory a letter
Zopwx2 06-29-2005 12:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:

Considering the fact that they are garage kits and that they need to be imported, they will probably be somewhat expensive. However, the quality of the figures and the fact that it is a direct way to show your support for Big O should make up for that.

Garage kits? Does that mean I need to put it together and paint it myself? Or that its a fan made model, either way I'm still gettign the max factory models.

The look incredibly detailed and flexible.
lhlam 06-29-2005 02:37 PM
No, what the Max Factory is making is full action figures, not garage kits. I think one of the American webpages misinforms us that they are garage kits (http://www.gr2.50megs.com/wf7.htm). But if you check out the original Max Factory webpage, it clearly says -- in Japanese -- that the Big O series includes only the "Full Action Soft Vinyl Figures." (http://www.maxfactory.jp/big_o.htm)

Actually, the Max Factory have just produced another series of "Guyver: Bio Fighter Collection," which includes also the "Full Action Figures." And according to its description (again in Japanese), they are "already colored and assembled action figures," rather than model kits you need to put together and paint. The same American webpage that wrongly tells us the Big O figures are only garage models also makes a mistake in saying this Guyver series is garage kits. But actually both the Big O and the Guyver series are ready-made action figures. Click the following link:

http://www.maxfactory.jp/guyver_1.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:

Garage kits? Does that mean I need to put it together and paint it myself? Or that its a fan made model, either way I'm still gettign the max factory models.

The look incredibly detailed and flexible.
Zopwx2 06-29-2005 06:45 PM
Oh thats good then.

I would have bought it either way. Although me painting my own action figures would probably not look half as good as those in the pictures.
lhlam 06-29-2005 11:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CablesInside
well max factory is independent of bandai, and they make what they want because they want
max factory also had a small hand intheproduction of big o, i believe
i heard somewhere that the big vinyl kit that i found was actually used as a reference model by the production team

i might just send max factory a letter

I know Max Factory is an independent company; what I worry is they would simply repeat what Bandai America has done to the Big O: cancel the Big O product without any notice.

If you really write Max Factory a letter, please ask them why they have postponed the Big O series forever, which was originally due for Spring 2005! Now it's already summer!

Max Factory's Guyver Full Action Figure series, which was demonstrated at the same time side by side with the Big O series in Summer 2004 in Japan (see my reply to Zopwx2 above), already came out last month (May 2005). But WHERE IS THE BIG O SERIES? They now don't even post any news about it any more in the Max Factory website! If you go to their website, all you see is the Guyver series! Is it that the Guyver series looks more profitable in their eyes? Have they decided to abolish the Big O series? Please ask Max Factory these hardball questions and get clear answer from them, CablesInside.
Krang 06-30-2005 12:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lhlam
No, what the Max Factory is making is full action figures, not garage kits. I think one of the American webpages misinforms us that they are garage kits (http://www.gr2.50megs.com/wf7.htm). But if you check out the original Max Factory webpage, it clearly says -- in Japanese -- that the Big O series includes only the "Full Action Soft Vinyl Figures." (http://www.maxfactory.jp/big_o.htm)

Actually, the Max Factory have just produced another series of "Guyver: Bio Fighter Collection," which includes also the "Full Action Figures." And according to its description (again in Japanese), they are "already colored and assembled action figures," rather than model kits you need to put together and paint. The same American webpage that wrongly tells us the Big O figures are only garage models also makes a mistake in saying this Guyver series is garage kits. But actually both the Big O and the Guyver series are ready-made action figures. Click the following link:

http://www.maxfactory.jp/guyver_1.htm

Yes, I already saw the description that referred to it as a full action figure. But in an interview, Kazuyoshi Katayama said that he was disappointed that only mass-produced Big O figures were released, and that "a garage kit is the last ray of hope [for a successful Big O figure]." Maybe he was referring to the fact that Max Factory primarily produces garage kits or that this new figure would be produced in smaller numbers rather than mass-produced, or maybe the Japanese definition of garage kit is different from the English one, but he clearly said "garage kit," which is why I referred to it as one.
lhlam 06-30-2005 03:23 AM
quote:

Yes, I already saw the description that referred to it as a full action figure. But in an interview, Kazuyoshi Katayama said that he was disappointed that only mass-produced Big O figures were released, and that "a garage kit is the last ray of hope [for a successful Big O figure]." Maybe he was referring to the fact that Max Factory primarily produces garage kits or that this new figure would be produced in smaller numbers rather than mass-produced, or maybe the Japanese definition of garage kit is different from the English one, but he clearly said "garage kit," which is why I referred to it as one.

I think director Katayama's statement Krang is referring to mentions three different kinds of Big O product:

1) it's a shame, for him, that (in Japan) only those mass-produced "Plastic Models" of the Big O has ever been for sale.

2) then to qualify the first part of this statement, Katayama adds immediately: "although in America, such things as figures inside blisters were produced."

3) Finally, he hopes that a popular "Gareki" (Garage kit) would help bring out the third season of The Big O.

So it seems to me that what Katyama feels dissatisfied with is "plastic model" kits rather than action figures. He mentioned "figures" only when he realized he was overgeneralizing to say only plastic model kits had been produced, because while that is true in Japan, it isn't in America (here we have already got the Anime Collector Action Figure series produced by Bandai America, which however has never been made available in Japan, so you can imagine how bad the Big O market in Japan is).

I agree with Krang that Katayama is ambiguous about what he means by "Gareki": is he referring to the same concept of garage kit? Based on my reading of his different attitudes toward plastic model kits and action figures, I would venture to say he might regard "Gareki" as closer to action figures while distinguished from model kits.
Krang 06-30-2005 03:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lhlam
I think Katayama's statement Krang is referring to mentions three different kinds of Big O product:

1) it's a shame, for him, that (in Japan) only those mass-produced "Plastic Models" of the Big O had ever been made.

2) then to qualify the first part of this statement, Katayama adds immediately: "although in America, such things as figures were produced."

3) Finally, he hopes for the "Gareki" (Garage kit?).

So it seems to me that what Katyama feels dissatisfied with is "plastic model" kits rather than action figures. He mentioned "figures" only when he realized he was overgeneralizing to say only plastic model kits had been produced, because while that is true in Japan, it isn't in America (here we have already got the Anime Collector Action Figures series produced by Bandai America, which however has never been made available in Japan, so you can imagine how bad the Big O market in Japan is).

Oops, you're right. It's been a while since I translated his quote, so I forgot that he does make the distinction between the models released in Japan and the figures released in America (he mentions that they come in a blister pack, so he is referring to the Anime Collector series as you said).

quote:
I agree with Krang that Katayama is ambiguous about what he means by "Gareki": is he referring to the same concept of Garage kit? Based on my reading of his different attitudes toward plastic model kits and action figures, I would venture to say he might regard "Gareki" as closer to action figures while distinguished from model kits.

I assumed that "Gareki" is an abbreviation of "Garage Kit" (Gareeji Kitto), but it could possibly also refer to a more general category of figures such as ones that are produced in a limited quantity as I suggested above (which would include both garage kits and limited edition figures). Or, by "Gareki market," he may simply be referring to companies such as Max Factory who make garage kits in addition to preassembled figures (that would put these new figures in the "garage kit market" even though they aren't garage kits themselves).
lhlam 06-30-2005 04:18 AM
Sorry, I edited my post a bit before seeing your reply...

I think your interpretation of "gareki" as "garage kits" in a strict or general sense is entirely correct (and yes, now I verified that gareki is indeed the abbreviation o garage kit). I just looked around on the web, and discovered that in Japan they indeed put some "already assembled figures" also under the category of "garage kits," although that category obviously more often refers to model kits before assembling. So your observation is 100% accurate. I think director Katayama has the "gareki" in a broad sense in mind, which as you point out belongs to a higher class than "mass-produced plastic models."

Unfortunately, after all these talks, we can only speculate what the figures look like from a few pictures... I hope someday we can hold them in hand, or play them on a dining table as Alex does!