Your Favorite Series

evanASF27 02-15-2005 06:35 PM
What's your favorite series of books out there?

For example...One of the most famous ones out there at the moment is the Harry Potter series.

Personally, I am a great hard-core fan of "The Railway Series" written by Rev W. Awdry and Christopher Awdry (his son). I have almost all 40 books Big Grin Another series (though only 3 books), is the "Hatchet" series written by Gary Paulsen (I haven't read it in years but it used to be my favorite). The three books were "Hatchet", "Brian's Winter", and "Brian's Return".

So what's your favorite series? Wink
LillyRose 02-15-2005 08:41 PM
The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. Fun, responsible, and scientific wizardy that has consequences. Plus a female heroine that isn't perfect or annoying. And Ms. Duane is one of the most gracious, nicest writers you'd ever want to listen to at a booksigning or on the 'Net. *g*

The Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell books by Laurie R. King . Making canon purists run screaming for the hills is fun. *evil smile* Literate, savvy, believable - and the woman is living my dream, a.k.a writing fan fiction and getting paid to do it.

Also though...I have to admit since you mentioned that series that I am one of those supposed adults horribly addicted to HP. Yep. *hangs her head in contrition*
Zopwx2 02-15-2005 08:59 PM

nuff' said.
pen1300 02-15-2005 09:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LillyRose
The Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell books by Laurie R. King . Making canon purists run screaming for the hills is fun. *evil smile* Literate, savvy, believable - and the woman is living my dream, a.k.a writing fan fiction and getting paid to do it.

YOU ROCK! I really love this series, despite the fact I'm only through three of them. Summer's goal: read ALL up to The Game. Some of those covers are WICKED. I own 3,4, and 5 in paper back. I want the first book. None the less, the action is awesome, the dialogue and, I don't know. I just totally enjoy it.

Nero Wolfe: Thanks to the TV show partly, I totally enjoy these books. I think the action, the detecting, Archie (that's his name right?), and Nero Wolfe himself create an excellent garden for a book. Wink

Aretmis Fowl, only I was quite unhappy with the third book's ending.

Lastly, Sarah, Plain, and Tall. I decided to read them for my class (I had to read 75 children's books, isn't that AWESOME!). I read all five in five hours? Yes, there are now FIVE books in the series. Sadly, the themes are all starting to repeat, but it's fun to watch them grow up! More Perfect Than The Moon is the latest.

Later,
Pen1300
The Fallen Phoenix 02-15-2005 09:36 PM
I love C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series--I really ought to re-read the series sometime in the near future. I have not read any of the books in roughly half a decade, and I am sure I would get a lot more out of the books if I read them now (especially after reading some of Lewis' theological essays over the past year).
Dude Love 02-15-2005 09:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
I love C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series--I really ought to re-read the series sometime in the near future. I have not read any of the books in roughly half a decade, and I am sure I would get a lot more out of the books if I read them now (especially after reading some of Lewis' theological essays over the last year).

I read the Chronicles of Narnia over about half a decade. I started reading in 3rd, read on and off through about 5th, and then picked up the last two in about 6th and 7th grade.

Though, that's also a half-decade since I've read them. I suppose it's due time for me to break my tradition of never reading a book twice and get the Chronicles of Narnia. I need to go to the Library anyway (*stares at nearly overdue History Books*).
Ozymandius Jones 02-15-2005 11:13 PM
I also like The Chronicles of Narnia. J. R. R. Tolkien's genius The Lord of the Rings of course, and Diana Wynne Jones' Dalemark Quartet and Chronicles of Chrestomanci are good, and so is The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander.
LillyRose 02-15-2005 11:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandius Jones

and Diana Wynne Jones' Dalemark Quartet and Chronicles of Chrestomanci are good...

DWJ is one of the most under rateded fantasy writers out there. She's been doing it better than most, and she's been doing it for decades. She deserves a lot more press.

Her standalones are a lot of fun as well. (My favorite DWJ is a standalone.)
R and D 02-16-2005 09:49 AM
SHERLOCK HOLMES!!!!! Big Grin Anime Smile
Tifaria 02-16-2005 03:48 PM
How can I pick one? All of the following have affected me in some way:

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, by Patricia C. Wrede (my intro to fantasy books-- thanks, Dad!)

The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis

The Indian in the Cupboard series, by Lynne Reed Banks

A Wrinkle in Time and its accompanying sequels, by Madeleine L'Engle

The Borrowers series, by Mary Norton

Not really a series, by anything by John Bellaire.. the characters from his books overlap from time to time. Favorites are The House With a Clock in its Walls, The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring, and The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt

Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling

His Dark Materials, by Phillip Pullman

Dune and its sequels, by Frank Herbert

The Old Kingdom Trilogy (not its official name, as the trilogy has no overarching name), consisting of Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen, by Garth Nix

I'm going to have to check out this Diana Wynne Jones, like.. now. It seems like everyone I know has been talking about her over the past week, and not just because of Howl's Moving Castle.. hmm. (heads over to amazon.com)
Lady Tesser 02-16-2005 04:08 PM
Robert A. Heinlein's 'Future History' novels and short stories (pretty much the Lazarus Long era, although I do like the Burroughs-Carters the most).

Harry Potter, of course.

Hitchhiker's Guide 'trilogy' by Douglas Adams.

'The Destroyer' novels by several authors. MUCH cooler than the movie based on it called 'Remo Williams'.
Fujiko 02-16-2005 04:16 PM
The Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton

monster books are fun! Laughing

I'm still waiting to get enough money to buy the latest book.
Yomiko 02-16-2005 07:19 PM
Lord of the Rings,

Harry Potter,

Artamis Fowl,

Concilals of Naria,

Pendragon.

I seem to like series books more than one timers.
Bllue 02-16-2005 07:38 PM
ive started alot of seiries, but ive only read through harry potter.
i love those!!!!!
black dragoness 02-16-2005 09:37 PM
My favorite series is Harry Potter! *jumps around excitedly* Don't know what it is about those books, but I love to read them over and over again. And I love those midnight parties at the bookstore when they release the new books... went to the one for book 5 dressed as Snape. Big Grin

Another good one I'm reading right now is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
Green_Bird 02-18-2005 01:50 PM
Ring Trillogy - Yeah, Well it's the only one I'm curently into right now....When I was younger I used to like the Animorphs but I was only able to read 2 books through to the end, never got them in order eather. But with the Ring Trillogy, It keeps me hooked, so that's why I was able to finish "Ring" .
Diverse Considerations 02-18-2005 02:13 PM
Since everyone is stating the obvious, I will call forth one of my favorites from childhood. The Boxcar Children.

And from more recent reading, I call forth a work of definitive literary magnitude. I call forth The Complete Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Barrin 02-25-2005 10:50 AM
I used to like Animorphs until I got to vol. 25. Then the store we got them at discontinued it, it cost more to get it elsewhere, and I was reading throught each book in two hours. I was just out of money, and with reading assignments piling up, out of time as well.

The Chronicles of Narnia were a favorite of mine. Vol. 2 was required reading in 5th grade, but I couldn't read them all until I got to the high school library. I loved each book, and having all of them together made a grand story worthy of a TV series spanning many weeks. The only exception is the 3rd volume. It seemed 'just ok' compared to the others.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were great. Previous expirience with the hobbit and the above book series tempered me so I would enjoy this. Attached to this is a little book called Finding God in "The Lord of the Rings" which explains the christian inspirations found throughout the books.

The Hatchet series were well written, and I enjoyed the setting and the challenges that had to be faced.

Things dealing with the Ender universe created by Orson Scott Card. Philospihpy, metaphysics, action, drama; this is the best scifi series I've ever read. I like both forms, the Ender saga and Bean's saga. I have Shadow of a giant on preorder. The ender series is my favorite of them all.