Your Favorite Books

YoruameBaroness 02-16-2005 01:21 PM
Richthofen: Beyond the Legend of the Red Baron. It provided more insight into Richthofen's personality and mannerisms than his own book did. Although I did enjoy Richthofen's book, The Red Fighter Pilot, Richthofen sounds very pompous and arrogant in it. He later wrote he was no longer that kind of person, but still . . .

I also enjoyed Franklin and Winston, an analysis of the relationship between President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

Yes, we all knew I was a history nut.
Fujiko 02-16-2005 04:20 PM
I like the Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire (yes I know it's a play Sweatdrop )

Recently I read a book called Naomi by Junichiro Tanizaki which I liked very much, even though I found myself almost screaming at it.

Sorry, when I like a book I really get into it.
Yomiko 02-16-2005 07:11 PM
MY HOME!!!!!!! THE LIBRARY! Big Grin I feel better now I said that. Laughing Big Grin

Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Song in the Silence, Artamis Fowl, Concilals of Naria, Pendragon. Song in the Silence is the only one that isn't a series. Cool
pen1300 02-17-2005 10:49 AM
I forgot to mention that nonfiction-wise I like:

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury. Great tips on just writing and it's also nifty to see how he ended up with some of his ideas! He's one of my fave authors after that book.

ALSO:

The Writer's Journey by Chris Vougler. A must have for any writer as a lot of stuff will make sense to you. Plus, it's a good introductory to Carl Jung's hero stuff.

Later,
Pen1300
madclarinet 02-17-2005 03:39 PM
Favourite books, tough one for me. I'll limit myself to these.

The Chronicals of Narnia - These were the books that started me reading fiction years ago. I haven't stopped since...

Duncton Series (6 Books) - Yes, about moles, but a really good set of stories and the locations based around actual locations in the UK.

Dune Series - no need to say more here

Raymond E Feists' books based on the world of Midkemia. So far I have about 18 of them. The first book is Magician and I can't recommend them enough.

Dragonbone Chair (Angel Green Tower, 4 books) - good read

Aurian books (artifacts of power) - Had me hooked instantly

Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit etc... - no comments needed

Harry Potter books - obviously

Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy - of course

I'll stop there, I could continue for ages
Generalissimo D 02-17-2005 05:35 PM
I personally am enthralled by anything having to do with witchcraft and the paranormal. I find it ever so fascinating. But heres my list of favorite books

Harry Potter series- This was my first sign of geekiness
Interstellar Pig -- Amazing Sci-Fi story! Read it!
Painted Black --- its enlightening...but has a rather weirdass cover
Time Line---- Have not seen the movie...but the book kicked Arse!
Shade's Children----- Think Big O, with no tomatoes, teenagers with weird abilities, a super ai person thing that leads them, an event which wiped out everyone older than the age of 15 about 15 years ago, and advanced hominid life forms that use the kids as parts for machine-like creatures to toy with!

there are more...but thats what I remember
Zopwx2 02-22-2005 04:25 PM
I forgot!

Although short, Of Mice and Men, is an excellent book.
6 moon dance 03-12-2005 08:15 PM
Favorite books
Pride and Prejudice Jane Austin is so on target in her description of a dysfunctional family. Mr. and Mrs. Benet have a loveless marriage and haven't really talked to each other in about 20 years. They have abdicated their responsibilities as both spouses and parents and as in the classic dysfunctional family pattern pretend that the everything is ok. Austin's characterization of the Benet daughters in the best description of children from a dysfunctional family that I have ever read in a work of fiction. Jane is the parentified child, Elizabeth is the adult child, Lydia and to a lesser extent Kitty are the problem children and Mary is the archetypical lost child. Pretty amazing when you consider that Pride and Prejudice was published over a century before the term dysfunctional family ever exitsted.

Other favorite books
The Gate to Women's Country by Sherri Tepper I loved the way she weaves the Iliad and Oddesy into her story of a post-WWIII culture and uses them to illustrate the differences and similarities between men and women.
Six Moon Dance also by Sherri Tepper. Not as deep as "Women's Country" but a lot more imaginative. In her world, traditional gender roles are reversed. Men not only work at paying jobs, they are also responsible for child care. They must wear veils outside their homes so as not to stir up femine lust and women, in return for the suffering they endure in order to bear and rear children, are entitled to "compensatory joys" in the form of male geishas commonly known as "Hunks".