Worst/Most Boring Book You've Ever Read

Bismarck 12-18-2003 12:23 AM
For me it would have to be Flowers for Algernon. I mean it is good in many aspects but, the ending destroyed any positive feelings evoked from the earlier parts of the book. Just to clarify what I mean the ending made everything else entirely pointless. Honorable mention a book ( I forgot the title ) who's main character is a genius. The funny thing is though his name is Billy Bright sounds like he has an I.Q of ten...
Nyarlathotep 12-18-2003 12:25 AM
I was not at all impressed by The Catcher in the Rye and I have no idea why everyone thinks it's such a great book.
rtil 12-18-2003 12:28 AM
the scarlet letter. We had to read it in school this year. So stupid.
Bismarck 12-18-2003 12:30 AM
Isn't that Wynonna Ryder's (spelling ah who cares) favorite book? This is Flowers for Algernon in a nutshell. Wetarded guy get suguery he get smort retarded guy becomes a genius he den becoom retoded again. Just great...........
Tony Waynewrong 12-18-2003 12:33 AM
"Communist Manifesto" - I thought Karl Marx and Frederick Engels needed a bit more of a reality check and it was a bore. "Das Kapital" was a much better book.
Zola 12-18-2003 12:40 AM
"Yargo" by Jacqueline Susann.

She's better known for "Valley of the Dolls" but I happened to stumble upon this in a second-hand bookstore. It was sci-fi/fantasy, and it was really quite well done and absorbing... until the end.

Out came the cliches, and the most overused ones at that. Ugh. Ruined the whole thing.
Zopwx2 12-18-2003 12:40 AM
House on mango street. THey forced us to read it in school a few years ago and it was incredibly stupid.
Pygmalion 12-18-2003 07:45 AM
Fiction: Jurassic Park, Michael Creighton. To tell the truth, I didn't finish it. It overloaded my gross-o-meter and I put it down, never to pick it up again.

Non-fiction: When Worlds Collide, Emmanuel Velikovsky. God playing pool with the solar system? Maybe I should have put this one under "fiction" as well.

Pygmalion
Redd 12-18-2003 08:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by God of the Sea
For me it would have to be Flowers for Algernon. I mean it is good in many aspects but, the ending destroyed any positive feelings evoked from the earlier parts of the book. Just to clarify what I mean the ending made everything else entirely pointless. Honorable mention a book ( I forgot the title ) who's main character is a genius. The funny thing is though his name is Billy Bright sounds like he has an I.Q of ten...

We're going to read that book in class after winter break... >_<

Well, in 7th grade we had to read this book called "Adam of the Road"...

Just the title of that book put me to sleep. That book is sooooo boring.
Red Face Sleeping
TDF Studios 12-18-2003 08:55 AM
I've read the entire Odyssey, not the prose version, the entire 2000 page book. If you can understand canstant babbling about nothing, go ahead and read it but if you really want to enjoy the book, read the 200 page prose version.
Knave 12-18-2003 09:19 AM
Watership Down. Foolish bunnies and their unimportant, inane adventures.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-18-2003 09:36 AM
Anything written by a German philosopher, including philosopher wannabes like Marx and Freude. "Let's bury the stupidity of our arguments under an avalanche of big words that are very poorly strung together."

(I suppose I should except Goethe.)
Prince-Consort Tesser 12-18-2003 09:53 AM
"The Morning of the Magicians" by R.T. Gault.

I picked it up out of a quarter-bin at a thrift store, thinking it was a fantasy novel. It turned out to be this horribly rambling excuse for a quasi-religious hokum 'Path to Higher Spiritual Consciousness', along with some pseudo-Spiritualist crap about past civilizations, lost continents, and Higher Planes of Existence. It would have been rejected by 1970's California pseudo-hippies (and I gather it was).

I'm deeply ashamed for having read it.

(BTW, ACT, if you think the German philosophers are bad, read some Jean-Paul Sartre sometime. GAG! Crying )
penance 12-18-2003 10:10 AM
The worst book I've ever read? Anything by Barbara Cartland. Each one is... just like the one before. Sleeping
Lady Tesser 12-18-2003 10:26 AM
Tess' All-Time List of Crap Novels -

1. 'Scarlet Letter' by Nathaniel Hawthorne - My report in my AP Literature class had the title 'The Effect of Religious Hookum on the Natural Processes of the Human Body in Relation to a Bunch of Nucking Futs Not Getting Some'

2. 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by Ernest Hemingway - Also a report in AP Literature class, with the opening line 'You will be happy to note that I did not commit suicide by slitting my wrists against the edges of the paper and die by paper cut wounds. Although Mr. Hemingway would have benefitted from the same action before he published anything.'

3. 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' by Victor Hugo - I started reading this in high school and couldn't get past the first chapter. It was poorly written (compared to his 'Les Miserables'), poorly told, and the point of view shifted endlessly just within one paragraph. I later found out EVERYONE died at the end, including the goat. God, no wonder Romantic era writers were depressed.

4. 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' by Thomas Hardy - I know, I know ... it was supposed to decry the hypocrasy of the era, but it rubbed me the wrong way. One girl gets raped and everyone blames her for it because she's female. She's put through hell and back again, and when she's forced to marry her jackass of a rapist, she kills him (GO TESS!) and then she's executed for it. What da smeg?? I called it doing a public service by killing her rapist!

5. 'The Illiad' as told by Homer - You know, there's a reason why narrative spins were developed to be strictly spoken ... IT'S SMEGGING BORING READING! I'll just let a character from 'Candide' explain: "The continual repetition of battles, so extremely like one another; those gods that are always active without doing anything decisive; that Helen who is the cause of the war, and who yet scarely appears in the piece; that Troy, so long beseiged without being taken; all these together caused me great weariness. I have sometimes asked learned men whether they were not as weary as I of that work. Those who were sincere haved owed to me that the poem made them fall asleep."

I'm sure there's more, but I try to suppress any of my forced Literature readings from high school. I may have succeeded with personally-enforced amnesia.
Fujiko 12-18-2003 12:33 PM
god i hated that book. it made me fall asleep more than six times!
Big Money 12-18-2003 02:14 PM
"The House On Mango Street" by some Mexican chick. In a word, it blew. Total chick book.
Mr. ? 12-18-2003 02:30 PM
"To Kill a Mockingbird" ZZZZzzzzZZZZ What a boring book, nothing happens!!
Mike 12-18-2003 02:33 PM
"The House on Mango Street" was just dumb.

"The Scarlet Letter" Ugh...I can't think of any words to use to describe how much I hated this book.

"Catcher in the Rye" I don't get why everyone liked it so much. It's just some angry kid, I already have enough of that in real life.

"Lord of the Flies" wasn't that good, either. Wow, how interesting, a bunch of kids go nuts in the woods.
FatFrank 12-18-2003 02:37 PM
i must agree with you bonaparte about the catcher and the rye.
so boring that i had to get sparknotes to read it...
but even those were boring