Worst/Most Boring Book You've Ever Read

Zopwx2 02-15-2005 06:27 PM
I think somewhere in everyone's school career they have the house on mango street / The Scarlet letter shoved down their throats......
pen1300 02-15-2005 09:07 PM
A Seperate Peace comes to mind when thinking of one of the worst books I ever read. Somehow, when I finished it, I was quite disappointined. The ending was dull, the topic was dull. The only excitment was the kid who was being an idiot and well...I'm not giving out the ending.

In general, I stay away from books I know I won't like, unless it's required reading like the one above.

Though, another book I couldn't get through was The Ruby In the Smoke by Philip Pullman (yeah, The Golden Compass guy). For some blasted reason, when I read it, I just could NOT get past Chapter 8 and for some reason, that fact has imprinted itself into my mind. Thanks to the used bookstore though, I bought it and am hoping to at some point find a chance to re-read it and see if it REALLY was all THAT bad.

And dare I mention it, I could not get past the half way mark of Harry Potter and the Sourcer's Stone. Yet, thanks to the above used book store, we now own a paper version of the UK book (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and I think I'll try to read that instead. Hehe. (I can't believe it was there. The first time I saw it, I passed it up, then people told me GOOOO BUY IT! So I went back and to my amazement it was STILL THERE!)

Later,
Pen1300

PS: There was another thread, I merged.
Diverse Considerations 02-16-2005 10:25 AM
For most boring, I nominate Jane Eyre and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Both for the same reason, ten page descriptions of landscapes which leaves your brain tired and confused.

For worst, I nominate Black Boy. If it gives you any clue as to just how horrible it is, in the first chapter the main character kills a kitten.

People who kill kittens burn in hell. Mad
Sharpshooter005 02-16-2005 07:20 PM
quote:
For worst, I nominate Black Boy. If it gives you any clue as to just how horrible it is, in the first chapter the main character kills a kitten.

Agreed, 110%

First chapter? I remember in the first chapter he torched his home because he "wanted to see what the drapes looked like on fire" (I'm NOT making this up). I thought that came later.

The book did nothing for me, absolutely nothing.

quote:
I think somewhere in everyone's school career they have the house on mango street / The Scarlet letter shoved down their throats......

I've also heard Catcher in the Rye is on that list.

Somehow I managed to dodge that bullet. A spoiled, whining brat thinking he's in some way special? (Thats apparently the gist of it. Or so I've been told)

Why read about it? It sums up about 10 people I know.
Spooky 02-16-2005 07:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Diverse Considerations
For most boring, I nominate [...] Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

It was also one of the worst movies I think I've ever seen, especially being adapted from a book. I just don't think I'm a fan of the story - it was really quite terrible what happened to Tess when it was all said and done...

spoiler (highlight to read):
...being raped by her "cousin", only to have their baby die of disease, and then have the man she loves not love her anymore for having said child, despite the fact she was raped....

Aye me, that book was chock full of more mello-drama than an episode of Passions....

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

Somehow I managed to dodge that bullet.

I did too....which is quite funny since virtually everyone I know has had to read it to. However, it really doesn't sound like a story that would keep my hooked long enough to want to finish the book.

Latah Wink
Token
Dude Love 02-16-2005 08:01 PM
quote:

Somehow I managed to dodge that bullet. A spoiled, whining brat thinking he's in some way special? (Thats apparently the gist of it. Or so I've been told)

Catcher in the Rye is one of those books that you either hate or like. I loved the book, myself. Then again, I'm crazy like that.

Just know that it's not whining as much as sarcastic complaining (though sarcasm is the incorrect word, I'm not good with English tonight).
Travis Bickle 02-16-2005 08:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
quote:

Catcher in the Rye is one of those books that you either hate or like. I loved the book, myself. Then again, I'm crazy like that.

Agreed. I've read the damn thing several times over, and pretty much know it from cover to cover.
LillyRose 02-17-2005 01:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes
I'm gonna take some heat for this one but...

The worst book I've ever read has to be Lord of the Rings.

Paging through the thread and had to add an AMEN! to this one as well. Tolkien is verbose about landscape and whatnot, yet strangely spare in writing a fight scene. The poetry drives me insane, and his female characters have all the dramatic impact of an arm chair.

The only thing I think him for is boring the crap out of Diana Wynne Jones as she sat in his class at Oxford. *g*
Redd 02-17-2005 11:16 PM
I find that usually only books assigned for school I find boring and unappealing. Tongue This year, we've had to read A Separate Peace which is horrendously boring... i mean, it had a few interesting points about it (Phineas was a cool character) but... arg.. then we had to read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich which is quite literally, one whole day in 200 pages or so. The worst part, was we had to read it over ourWinter Break, which was excruciatingly painful, since i knew I could be out doing better things.

And, thats really all I can think of for now. Tongue
Alana Gabriel 02-17-2005 11:40 PM
David Copperfeild is horrendous and boring and aiyiyi...it's just too awful for words. I also dislike Oliver Twist...what is the point of this book? Horrible depression? Oh, JOY!!
Sharpshooter005 02-19-2005 07:03 PM
quote:
then we had to read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich which is quite literally, one whole day in 200 pages or so. The worst part, was we had to read it over ourWinter Break, which was excruciatingly painful, since i knew I could be out doing better things.

Another one I liked.
Volt 02-20-2005 09:31 AM
The worst and most boring book I've read is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I can't even describe its montony, psuedo-intellectual structure, and stupidity.
Hienrich Ele 02-20-2005 12:48 PM
Worst books? Everyone I read this year for school is terrible, and it isn't getting better.

"The Crucible" I found it boring, but it was ok.

"Huckleberry Finn" is yet another one I would rather be tortured for hours on end than be forced to read again. The only good thing about this book was the essay I wrote for it at the end saying why it should not be taught in schools. I got full credit on it, which surprised me.

"The Scarlet Letter" Another reason why I want a time machine. I'd give Nathenial Hawthorne a whatfor... With a tire iron

"Thier Eyes Were Watching God" -Boo-Hoo! My husband got rabies and I suck at picking out husbands because they either beat me or die! AND TALK NORMAL!

And then we are going to read "Catcher In The Rye". I read it before, and I hated it. It is so fricking boring. The only good thing this book has ever done is inspired the scene in "Conspiracy Theory" with Mel Gibson buying it at Barnes and Noble with the elderly black man telling him about it.

"That's the Catcher. The Catcher in the Rye. You ever read it, son?"
"Ye.. No, no I have not"
"It's a classic. It's that catcher, the catcher in the rye. It's a classic"

THAT is acting at it's finest.
The Baker St. Irregular 02-20-2005 06:07 PM
The most boring book I've ever read is Turn of the Screw. I literally fell asleep three times while reading it. Why? Its writing is so antiquated that it makes it an absolute chore to read. Kinda like shoveling snow or raking leaves. Tongue
Buck Buck #1 02-20-2005 07:10 PM
The worst book that I ever read was Flatland. It is about a square who meets a cube and learns that there are other dimentions.
Green_Bird 02-20-2005 08:10 PM
Dicy's song - It wasn't what I was intrested in. But acording to the school, I had to read it or fail. My mom ended up printing up the cliff notes on it, but it didn't help for the questions the guy asked for the book report. So I had to end up reading half the book to get the info I need. I never want to go though that again, it was torture!
Sharpshooter005 02-21-2005 03:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by com_bun_bun
The worst book that I ever read was Flatland. It is about a square who meets a cube and learns that there are other dimentions.

After verifying on amazon.com that this book does in fact exist, I've realized something.

This MUST be made into a movie.

Christopher Walken will play the square, that much is certain.
Shaoblane 02-21-2005 01:49 PM
In our english class, were assigned to read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

THIS IS THE WORST MOST BORING BOOK EVER!

I didnt think ANYTHING could out-suck Huckleberry Finn. So far, I'm on chapter 4, and it's incredibly boring. I read it and pages later I stop and then "Whoa! I read all that but...why dont I remember any of it? Oh yeah! Because this is as BORING AS HELL!"

ACK! I cant even find the bloody publishing year on it. Holy crap! This is the 75 year special edition! WHAT THE HELL! Ah! There it is...1924...wow...

The best one...hmm...ummm...oh wow...I havent read very many good ones...erm...everyone here has read Harry Potter and LOTR...OKAY! I got one!!

R.L Stine wrote four books called the Cheerleader series. It's cool cause it's all about cheerleaders in high school...GETTING KILLED BRUTALLY Y A CURSE! It's a hoot. The main character is some chick named Corky, the first death is her twin, then when she gets her sisters boyfriend things start to be all death destruction pain again. The first one is called
Cheerleaders: The first evil.

But GEEZ Gatsby is sooo bad. I was convinced nothing could out-suck Huckleberry Finn until this but DANG! I mean, if Huckleberry Finn is as good as American Literature gets, we can only go down from there. Tongue
Buck Buck #1 02-21-2005 04:18 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by com_bun_bun

After verifying on amazon.com that this book does in fact exist, I've realized something.

This MUST be made into a movie.

Christopher Walken will play the square, that much is certain.

I love you.
Travis Bickle 02-21-2005 04:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shaoblane
In our english class, were assigned to read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

THIS IS THE WORST MOST BORING BOOK EVER!

I didnt think ANYTHING could out-suck Huckleberry Finn. So far, I'm on chapter 4, and it's incredibly boring. I read it and pages later I stop and then "Whoa! I read all that but...why dont I remember any of it? Oh yeah! Because this is as BORING AS HELL!"

ACK! I cant even find the bloody publishing year on it. Holy crap! This is the 75 year special edition! WHAT THE HELL! Ah! There it is...1924...wow...

The best one...hmm...ummm...oh wow...I havent read very many good ones...erm...everyone here has read Harry Potter and LOTR...OKAY! I got one!!

R.L Stine wrote four books called the Cheerleader series. It's cool cause it's all about cheerleaders in high school...GETTING KILLED BRUTALLY Y A CURSE! It's a hoot. The main character is some chick named Corky, the first death is her twin, then when she gets her sisters boyfriend things start to be all death destruction pain again. The first one is called
Cheerleaders: The first evil.

But GEEZ Gatsby is sooo bad. I was convinced nothing could out-suck Huckleberry Finn until this but DANG! I mean, if Huckleberry Finn is as good as American Literature gets, we can only go down from there. Tongue

In my opinion, you have no idea what you're talking about. Gatsby's a classic and Fitzgerald is a genius. Go back to your Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket.