Worst/Most Boring Book You've Ever Read

Cecil XIX 12-18-2003 02:39 PM
The only thing that springs to mind is "The Old Man And The Sea." We've had to read about three stories where the protagonists cause their own conflicts. If that guy couldn't catch a fist in 80 days, why didn't he just get another job?

But the thing that did it for me was how he worried that the people who bought the fish wouldn't be worthy of eating.

How can a person not be worthy of eating a *fish?*

Also, existentialism is stupid.
Sharpshooter005 12-18-2003 02:40 PM
quote:
2. 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by Ernest Hemingway

Funny, mines also a Hemingway novel. Farewell to arms. I somewhat wish I had been reading it for school, as then at least I could have gotten a favorable grade out of that...
re-animate 12-18-2003 03:08 PM
peculier, i enjoyed flowers for algernon. you have to understand the finer scientific point to see its beauty. its kind of like a stepen speilber flick.

but i was very dissapointed with pillars of the earth by ken follett. and i was rather disgusted with antare's dawn by M. McCollum. i lacked plot so heavily, it could only be compared with a 3rd graders mumbling.
Schwarzwald 12-18-2003 03:15 PM
Artimis Fowl.... horrible book... havn't even finished it though...

i got it over a year ago... only been half way...

gezz...everone seems to be an expert at something or...more than they seem.... there is no real level... its like a lodoss war+dragonball thing...

I REALLY like lodoss war but with the elves and the mythical stuff...

L.E.P.R.E.C.O.N.
thats b***s***.

Each of the characters emotions are too obvious... there is almost NO detail to the surrondings.... nor was that elevator thing ever explained.... i never got that...

everone has sOMETHING up thier sleeve.

There is no mystery, no drama, no suspence. its not even mildly funny...

a certain creatue when he eats dirt such a fart could be devistating and destructive...
thats complete c***...

its worse than Maniac Maggee...

Tickle Tickle 12-18-2003 04:10 PM
The Giver

God, did this book SUCK. It reminded me of Big O, except Big O has a plot, and don'st star some screwed up kid (That's WORSE than Shinji...) and sick twisted thoughts...
Darth Nat 12-18-2003 04:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

Funny, mines also a Hemingway novel. Farewell to arms. I somewhat wish I had been reading it for school, as then at least I could have gotten a favorable grade out of that...

I actually somewhat enjoyed A Farewell to Arms. It is almost sadistically humorous at times. It also has one of my favorite lines from a book of all time: "I was blown up while eating cheese."

Anyway, my least favorite book of all time would have to be a very crappy sci-fi book named The White Mountains. It was a mildly coherent story about a boy escaping to freedom from some giant robot thingies called Tripods. It would have been alright had the author not taken a 100-page storyline and stretch it out to make it longer. It was boring. The idea for the villains, the Tripods, was one of the most supremely stupid concepts I have ever heard of. It's a little hard to be scared of something that looks like a camera tripod!

I also hated God Emperor of Dune. I loved the Dune books before this one, but God Emperor shot the series in the foot for me. The main character was unlikeable, and the plot moved along at a snail's pace.
angelcakes 12-18-2003 06:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schwarzwald
Artimis Fowl.... horrible book... havn't even finished it though...
i got it over a year ago... only been half way...

I hate that book too. I got the first two books two years ago and I just couldn't bring myself to get past pg 16 in the first book.

quote:
Originally posted by R. Umino
The Giver

God, did this book SUCK. It reminded me of Big O, except Big O has a plot, and don'st star some screwed up kid (That's WORSE than Shinji...) and sick twisted thoughts...

Actually I thought the Giver was a pretty okay book. Okay so it was kind of....... weird for lack of a better word, but it provided a complex plot that one only finds through many group dicussion that you are forced to go though. By the time I finished that book I was forced to like it.

Okay, the one series of books I hate(I'm going to get hit with rotten tomatos because of this) is Lord of the Rings. I just can't stand the series. I tried reading it and I just hated it. I thought that maybe I could try to read it again, but even that didn't work. And because I hated the books, that turned me off the movies, so I hate the books and the movies. Sorry.

*gets hit with 60 different hard object thrown by LoTR fans*

@_@
Dude Love 12-18-2003 06:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rtil
the scarlet letter. We had to read it in school this year. So stupid.

That book was really bad. But, I'd have to say Death Comes for the Archbishop takes the cake right now. So boring, no plot, makes...you...want...to...SCREAM!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!

It was very, very boring.
re-animate 12-18-2003 06:54 PM
i liked the giver too

it was kind of complicated, but the reason is becuase its loaded with symbolism. take gabe, the infant, for example. he was a symbol for gabriel the angel, whom would decnd and begin the apocolypse. and in the book, gabe was taken from the community, which caused havoc, and untold by the book, the eventual destruction of the community. so hey, i thought it was good, but then again, i understand poe's literature as well.
Schwarzwald 12-18-2003 07:04 PM
Ive begun to read the giver...

I think its pretty good.... but it could just because most of it seems like a refernce to communism... not stalins communism,... the good kind...

haha... yeah that may be the only reason... but it is interesting non the less...
The Fallen Phoenix 12-18-2003 07:07 PM
Am I the only one on the Forums who actually enjoyed The Scarlet Letter? Well...that's a shame, I liked it. Then again, I think I'm the only one at my school who enjoyed it as well...eh...well, different people have different tastes.

Death Comes for the Archbishop...though I disliked reading that book initially, I've come to appreciate it.

quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes
Okay, the one series of books I hate(I'm going to get hit with rotten tomatos because of this) is Lord of the Rings. I just can't stand the series. I tried reading it and I just hated it. I thought that maybe I could try to read it again, but even that didn't work. And because I hated the books, that turned me off the movies, so I hate the books and the movies. Sorry.

I think I can understand...Tolkein does have a writing style that can be difficult to get used to and into initially. However, after I got used to it a few chapters into The Hobbit I started to appreciate and really enjoy it.

Again, each to his (or her) own.

My least favorite book? I'll have to get back to you on that...I haven't read many really bad books...and of the ones I dislike, it's hard to single out one...
R and D 12-18-2003 07:26 PM
the giver.
simply put that it's weird. who'd would want to live in a world that is all the same? i need color in my life. that book had too many things wrong with it, i'm sorry. who would kill babys? or more importantly would kill people and make it fun like ur sweet 16 birthday party? Confused
Patsai 12-18-2003 07:33 PM
I never understood any Harry Potter books (I've tried to like them), and so far I've read up to book 4, but it's just not working for me. It may be entertaining to kids, I will believe that, but at times, I just wish it wasn't so childish at times. I was interested in the books at first because it was supposed to be a classic book about good and evil, but when I picked it up, I was truely disappointed. Also, I always like a little philosophy in the stories I read (that's why I love LOTR; there are some philosophy in it, you just haveta look hard), but Harry Potter didn't really offer that and went on trying to impress you with the powers of fantasy and yelling out spells in Latin...

One word: Borriiiinnnnggg.Sleeping
Tifaria 12-18-2003 08:50 PM
I really like The Giver! It's one of those books that I got bored with and couldn't finish when I was twelve, but now that I'm older I think I appreciate it more. Give it a chance again in five years or so. Wink

I liked The Scarlet Letter too. I wrote my AP English paper on how Pearl stands for different symbols at different parts of the book. It's really slow at parts, and I can see where it would become boring to read, but I like it just fine.

Flowers For Algernon was good too. I read it when I was in the eighth grade or so, and I cried like a sissy at the end. I thought it was incredible. I've only read it once since then. I should really get myself a copy...

I hate to call a book 'the worst book I've ever read', so instead I'm going to say 'the book I've enjoyed the least of all the books I've read'. Actually, make that 'one of the books I've enjoyed least', because there are several, but off the top of my head I can only think of Great Expectations. I wanted to STRANGLE Pip. Wait, was it Pip? Well, whatever that kid's name was. Don't get me wrong, I like Dickens okay, but I had to force myself to finish this book.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-18-2003 09:02 PM
Tifaria hated GREAT EXPECTATIONS, and I agree! (I mean, I don't agree that SHE hated it -- I have to take her word for that. I mean that I hated it, too.)

It was one of the few books I couldn't get all the way through even as a book on tape. I listen to books on tape from the library when I'm doing chores or driving. They don't have to be very good to keep me listening, since I'm a captive audience. I even made it all the way through THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL, which is the book equivalent of being killed through being staked out over an anthill with just one ant living in it. It goes on forever, and NOTHING HAPPENS!

GREAT EXPECTATIONS was different. There was something new to hate on every page. Don't read it while wearing a necktie. That's my advice. It would make it too convenient to hang yourself as a pleasant alternative to turning the page.

I suppose that most of Dickens' other works are better than this. I'd probably draw the line at gnawing off a foot as an alternative to reading A TALE OF TWO CITIES again, and would probably only concuss myself lightly to get out of A CHRISTMAS CAROL.
Schwarzwald 12-18-2003 09:06 PM
OHOH WAIT A MIN!!!

I FORGOT ABOUT CANYONS!!!

Hu... i think this one was by the same author of maniac megge in my eairler post...

Its about this boy who finds a skull... a skull of a native american boy who died in the past from soldiers...he loves running....

this kid takes the skull home and begins to have strange dreams... he begins to become obsessed and SOMEHOW finds the luck and figures out..."what he must do."

Now at this point im assuming he has discovered Magic Mushrooms...

The.."spirit"... began to talk to him... he has to run 20 miles to a canyon and place the skull where he found it... for.... some reason...
So he runs off almost dying... once he gets to the canyon the spirit guides him to where he must go and place the skull but than his worried mother comes with two cops...

the cops chase him and really do break one of his legs but SOMEHOW he finds the strenght to go on... bet ya its the distracting mushrooms....or the cactie he ate on the way there...... ANYWAY... he runs and places the skull back where it goes and somehow..."knows"....

Its funky... it is just another subliminal message to beleive inyourself .... that or its trying to force on religon....

poor characters... poor plot devoplment... poor organization... just not interesting unless you are crazy about Indian graveyard stories with disney liveaction star inspired characters...
Mike 12-18-2003 09:07 PM
I just remembered another piece of crap I was forced to read:
Pride and Prejudice
Yuck!
It was so long...and boring...unbearably boring, and all the girls I know loved it!
Lady Tesser 12-18-2003 09:29 PM
Pride and Prejudice - of course, it's a chick-book. I rather liked it when I was in high school, but at the time I was into the lighter side of Romantic literature. I'd probably MiST it now.
Smoke 12-18-2003 09:31 PM
THE DUMBEST BOOK I EVER READ WAS THE OUTSIDERS< I THINK IT HAD LIKE no meaning or point
Schwarzwald 12-18-2003 09:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shorty
THE DUMBEST BOOK I EVER READ WAS THE OUTSIDERS< I THINK IT HAD LIKE no meaning or point

OMG LOL!!!!
I READ THAT!!!

wait a min... are you alfred? From TMS?!

I think it was....... okkkeyyyy... but the movie was good... the part when darry dies was well played...