Grab Your Towel! The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

pen1300 02-14-2005 09:00 PM
One of the most hilarious books many people have read. (There may be a topic around here, but for this forum, I'll make a thread.)

Personally, I found this book excellent. It makes so much sense in a bizarro sort of way, for example: Towels are the most useful thing ever. And the menaing of life, that was funny.

In this thread, discuss the book and the other books in this series. I've only gotten through the first one, but come summer break: I'm all over the rest of them. Mom owns the MONDO volume. I picked up the first book at Goodwill. (Yeah, can you believe it?)

OK, all the books in the series:

The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979)
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (1980)
Life, the Universe, and Everything (1982)
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish (1984)
Mostly Harmless (1992)
~Thanks to NoveList for the list

Later,
Pen1300
Travis Bickle 02-14-2005 09:08 PM
So Long and Thanks For all the fish is one of my favorites, for some reason. Great series, nontheless.
BabyGhia 02-14-2005 11:17 PM
I love this series. Actually been meaning to read it over again. I have the "The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide." Has all four books in it and the story "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe."

Douglas Adam certainly had an interesting sense of humor. I also enjoyed "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and I think I read "Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul" it's sequel.

BabyGhia
R and D 02-23-2005 09:07 AM
i've read that book and it is hilarious. Laughing
BethMcBeth 02-24-2005 02:45 AM
COOL! I am sure it will be funny as all get out! The movie that is, just as long as I pray Disney? (I think thats whos doing it..) does not mess it up. *finger crossed*

I should really read the book too! I have read like a few sections but not much ^_~"
Sephiroth 05-27-2005 02:39 PM
Well, on the reccomendation of a friend I picked up the Ultimate HitchHiker's Guide, which contains all of the books in the series. I just finished the first one today, and I have to say that I loved it. It was quite funny and I can't wait to read the rest. Easily one of my favorite books ever.
Mugiwara Luffy 05-27-2005 03:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
Well, on the reccomendation of a friend I picked up the Ultimate HitchHiker's Guide, which contains all of the books in the series. I just finished the first one today, and I have to say that I loved it. It was quite funny and I can't wait to read the rest. Easily one of my favorite books ever.

Yeah, I got that version too. Is yours the cool hardback version with gilded edges?

Scott, So Long was actually my favorite too. I read it faster than the others.
Travis Bickle 05-27-2005 05:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Sanji

Scott, So Long was actually my favorite too. I read it faster than the others.

I think it's a beautifully written book from Adams that is the complete 180 from the rest of the series (except for the end). If they do indeed continue to make Hitchiker films, I want to see how this will turn out.
Darth Nat 05-27-2005 10:40 PM
Mostly Harmless is easily my favorite of the books for its return to the nonsensical, humorous madness of the first three books and having some of the best and funniest jokes and situations in the entire series.

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is definitely my least favorite book in the series. It was a major disappointment to me. It wasn't as funny as the other books, and Fenchurch is not a favorite character of mine (hence why I was glad about what happened to her in Mostly Harmless). It also lacked most of the original cast. The jokes just weren't as good, the book wasn't as whimsical and funny, and the love story was lame. I'm glad Mostly Harmless pretty much acted like the book never happened.
Mr. Fortnight 05-28-2005 02:00 AM
Question... are the books FAR BETTER than the movie? I'd like to get my inner Yomiko a treat once in a while if I know that the Movie is a far cry from the original material.

So, are they, or should I find something else?
Mugiwara Luffy 05-28-2005 11:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Nat
So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is definitely my least favorite book in the series. It was a major disappointment to me. It wasn't as funny as the other books, and Fenchurch is not a favorite character of mine (hence why I was glad about what happened to her in Mostly Harmless). It also lacked most of the original cast. The jokes just weren't as good, the book wasn't as whimsical and funny, and the love story was lame. I'm glad Mostly Harmless pretty much acted like the book never happened.

I don't know. After reading the first three in succession I was almost getting sick of the crazy humor and the randomness. So Long came at a good time to give me a break in the action, so to speak. It also let Arthur go back to his home and find a nice girl, which is what he always wanted.

Mostly Harmless
went back to the humor, but the only members of the cast who returned were Ford and Trillian, briefly. I didn't like the way it ended either. And Random was....well, random.

Ensign, definitely read the books! The movie was good, and close to the books, but they are definitely better.
Darth Nat 05-28-2005 11:47 AM
Briefly? Both Ford and Trillian have pretty darn big parts in Mostly Harmless. Heck, about the first three chapters revolve around Trillian, and there's that whole subplot involving Ford and his wacky experiences at the Hitchhiker's Guide headquarters which made me laugh a lot. I just can't enjoy So Long because it doesn't have the humor of the other books, which is the only reason I read them in the first place, and I really like Mostly Harmless because it overflows with the humor. I sorta like the way the ending turns out, myself.
dancinggummi88 06-15-2005 12:18 PM
the book was hilarious.... ive read it quite a few times , but the movie that they just came out with not too long ago was just stupid