The Bible Topic

Jonny Axehandle 02-14-2005 05:26 PM
Someone had to start it. It is after all the best selling book of all time.
Dude Love 02-14-2005 06:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Neko

I believe it's also the most stolen book of all time. Irony Tongue

Well, I've never read the Bible cover to cover (though, as a Catholic, I'm probably obligated to). However, I always find there is some good moral or lesson behind the stories/books. Similar to Aesop's Fables (I believe that's a proper comparison).
Sharpshooter005 02-14-2005 06:24 PM
quote:
I've never read the Bible cover to cover

I've tried.

I wound up getting to the part about who begat who, and then promptly lost a major chunk of my free time, hence preventing me from continuing.

...Oh, then I just began reading Revelation.
Travis Bickle 02-14-2005 09:10 PM
quote:

I have. Twice. And I read the Torah, Talmud, and the Koran once, too (still have yet to read the necronomicon). If you're going to be an atheist, you better have the proper reason and knowledge to back it up.
Jonny Axehandle 02-15-2005 06:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:

I have. Twice. And I read the Torah, Talmud, and the Koran once, too (still have yet to read the necronomicon). If you're going to be an atheist, you better have the proper reason and knowledge to back it up.

That's sad.
Gummibear 02-15-2005 06:51 AM
I'm very interested in biblical history... especailly the pages that were either missing or taken out.
Travis Bickle 02-15-2005 07:48 AM
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's sad.

From your POV maybe, but not to others. They're probobly the most well known texts known to man, and i can actually say I read them all. Besides, what was the last thing you read? Yeah...I thought so...
LillyRose 02-15-2005 12:22 PM
I've read it once, and several selections many more times than once. (To borrow and modify what someone else up the thread said, if you want to leave the religion you were born in, you better have knowledge and reason to back it up.)

I too have read multiple books of faith, and there's something interesting in all of them. I have a fascination with the subject of religion; with Christianity, my area of curiousity is its' extreme views of women (saint or whore) and the role of women in the early church.
Sharpshooter005 02-15-2005 04:06 PM
quote:
That's sad.

I know, an informed athiest on the internet. Thats terrible.

Because..you know..we need more knee-jerk reactionaries on both sides of this, we really do. Roll Eyes
Zopwx2 02-15-2005 05:21 PM
I'm not christian but for some reason I have a bible, and every once in a while I'll flip to a random page read what it says.... and I usually have no idea what the hell is going on.
Jonny Axehandle 02-15-2005 05:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin TaxtBesides, what was the last thing you read? Yeah...I thought so...

You knew I read Job 1-5?
Tony Waynewrong 02-15-2005 06:39 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's sad.

From your POV maybe, but not to others. They're probobly the most well known texts known to man, and i can actually say I read them all. Besides, what was the last thing you read? Yeah...I thought so...

Well, I have read the bible twice myself. I find that my favorite old testament books are Ezekiel and Daniel. My favorite new testament books are Matthew and Revelations. In for non-believers, I believe the bible can teach a lot. Of course, it is one of the most brutal books too. Oh well, c'est la vie!
Travis Bickle 02-15-2005 08:01 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin TaxtBesides, what was the last thing you read? Yeah...I thought so...

You knew I read Job 1-5?

No, I just didn't know you had to be so negative and criticize everyone's posts. Keep up the good work, Johnny.
¡SpoonySthingyy! 02-15-2005 08:10 PM
Well, I have read portions, never the whole thing.

It is one of my goals (long term of course) to read it. It is like this thread already states, one of the best selling books of all time...

as for the most stolen...I have 2 hotel bibles Tongue
pen1300 02-15-2005 09:28 PM
Hey,

Just a note to everyone, this is a discussion of The Bible, don't bring your battles in this thread, or I'll lock it, ok? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, for example, the little bit I've read...it was interesting, but confusing with the language.

None the less, if you don't have something constructive (negative or postitive) to say, don't say anything at all or take it to the PMs.

Thanks,
Pen1300
The Fallen Phoenix 02-15-2005 09:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
quote:

I believe it's also the most stolen book of all time. Irony Tongue

Well, I've never read the Bible cover to cover (though, as a Catholic, I'm probably obligated to). However, I always find there is some good moral or lesson behind the stories/books. Similar to Aesop's Fables (I believe that's a proper comparison).

Well, I'm not really sure one should read the Bible from cover-to-cover. Should one read every book in the Bible at some point if one is a practicing Catholic? Possibly, but one should also go to Church every single week; that does not mean one necessarily will.

I think the Bible is rather interesting, even moreso after last year's theology class (which was a Bible Study course, and included a lot of literary analysis). There are a lot of interesting moral lessons to be found in the Bible, whether one is religious or not.

And after last year's Theology class, I believe more than ever before that one really shouldn't take everything in the Bible literally; I don't think one can get a fuller understanding of the Bible unless one appreciates that it does not pretend to be completely non-fictional.
Bllue 02-16-2005 07:42 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's sad.

wow. you must be really bored to do that

i love the book of judith! its my favorite.
i have a student bible, but i still find some of the words too complicated for me.
Travis Bickle 02-16-2005 08:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bllue

Not at all. How come nobody understands the concept of reading it for enjoyment and learning?
Jonny Axehandle 02-16-2005 08:40 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bllue

Not at all. How come nobody understands the concept of reading it for enjoyment and learning?

Because you don't believe in any of them. It just sounds pointless.
black dragoness 02-16-2005 09:28 PM
I haven't read the entire Bible, though I have started to a few times. I've never gotten past the first few books though. I admit, I got bored out of my mind trying to read the long lists of who begat who (definitely a part to skip over). I did skip ahead and read Job, some of the Psalms, and when I was a kid I read Revelations... which kinda scared me as I hadn't really had a concept of the end of the world at that age. It is a goal of mine to finally read the whole thing someday.

Though I wouldn't call myself Christian, I do believe in God and would still find the Bible an interesting read. I could say the same about the texts for other religions too, I'd just like to look at others' ideas on the subject, whether or not I agree with them.