The Bible Topic

TanookiJoe 03-19-2005 12:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
quote:
Actually, only a fifth of the world's population is Christian.

Actually, according to this link (while being 3 years outdated), Christianity makes up a third of the world's religion.
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html
Mind you, Im not sure how much of the world's population practices a religion, but based upon religious practitioners, Christianity makes up a third of that population...

Christianity is the largest religion in the world, however, estimates show that Islam is supposed to surpass Christianity as the largest religion worldwide in the 21st century sometime...

Yeah, my information was a bit out of date. The last statistic I heard was ~1.2-1.5 billion, so I calculated from that. Exact number of adherrants to religions is notoriously hard to calculate, considering the wide variety of what may constitute a certain religion and lack of data for many areas.

And yes, Islam is the world's fastest growing religion.
SmothPocket 04-21-2005 03:52 PM
Most people judge the Bible before they even read it
dancinggummi88 06-15-2005 09:31 AM
i havent read the entire bible......

its an ungoing arguement on whether or not its true about whether or not jesus ressurected in my oppinion ......
088nd 06-15-2005 10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SmothPocket
Most people judge the Bible before they even read it

Agreed.

The Bible is good, but I don't read it enough. I need to get back into it, for my Faith's sake.
Gummibear 06-15-2005 10:53 AM
I haven't read the bible completely, just bits and pieces of it. The sections that I find interesting or that I have questions about. I do read a monthly publication called " La Palabra Diaria" which translated means "The Daily Word" which gives you a bible passage then relates it to the current world.
Wazpy 08-26-2005 04:54 AM
Man, the Bible we read today is so much different from the original (Pictured here)
Generalissimo D 08-26-2005 06:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
Man, the Bible we read today is so much different from the original (Pictured here)

WHOA DUDE! THAT WAS RIGHTEOUS!

You know...if they made a whole big comic book bible....it may be Christianity's greatest acheivement.
Hanyou 08-26-2005 07:52 AM
I have read the whole of it, but not in order. I find the old testament particularly boring.

My favourite book is an Old Testament book, however. The book of Job. I find it oddly encouraging.
Sharpshooter005 08-26-2005 11:32 AM
quote:
I find the old testament particularly boring.

Yeah, once I tried the "read it cover to cover, in order" idea.

Somewhere around the endless string of who begat who...yeah..
X Prime 08-26-2005 12:00 PM
I really don't see why people try to find contradictions between OT and NT... I go with my old theology teacher's statement that the New Testament is supposed to automatically supplant the OT whenever any kind of contradiction arises.
TanookiJoe 08-26-2005 02:50 PM
Of course, the OT and NT contradict themselves in many places, so that really doesn't clear up much. And the NT does, in fact, contradict itself on whether the old laws should be followed or not.

And yes, the OT is particularily boring-- except for Ecclesiastes, the most touching, elegant, and poetic book in the Bible. It is far and away my favorite.

And, if you like the comic book bible, then you'll love the Lego version!

http://thebricktestament.com/
Generalissimo D 08-26-2005 04:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TanookiJoe
Of course, the OT and NT contradict themselves in many places, so that really doesn't clear up much. And the NT does, in fact, contradict itself on whether the old laws should be followed or not.

The contradictions come with the misstranslations. And dont forget God himself was pretty much angry at humanity since the Eden incident.

Best Bible related picture eva.
TanookiJoe 08-26-2005 06:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
quote:

The contradictions come with the misstranslations. And dont forget God himself was pretty much angry at humanity since the Eden incident.

Some, but most come from the fact that the content itself is in contradiction.

And what does God being angry have to do with it? Was he so angry he couldn't dictate properly?
Generalissimo D 08-26-2005 07:35 PM
quote:
Some, but most come from the fact that the content itself is in contradiction.

And what does God being angry have to do with it? Was he so angry he couldn't dictate properly?

It gets hazy when the stuff itself fights itself. The prophets were funny fellows. And who says they were even talking to God? Could just have been raving..

And please dont fall under the assumption all those guys were perfectly calm and collected during the dictation. Imagine the Creator came down to you and started telling you to get a pen, paper, and write what he said down.
dawnstrider 08-26-2005 08:49 PM
Heh, yeah, I studied the Bible from cover to cover a few times - partly in accordance to personal interest regarding allusions to a few stories I wrote, and of course, it is an undeniably important work in it's own right Smile . I find it particularly interesting (NOTE: this is from the strictly scholarly - not religious - said of my brain) that you can trace the evolution of the Judeo-Christian religion as outside influences affected its foundations; it started out as a henotheistic belief on the part of a desert tribe , but grew to incorporate several of the traits that we associate with it once they met others; the general distancing of the "Cosmic serpent" belief common in that area at the time; the introduction of a bipolar adversary to God after their brush with the Zoroastrians; the introduction of the concept of a soul and an afterlife with the Greek influence; and, etc.

During my brief "religious study phase", I grew particularly interested in the Apocrypha texts, since they had so many apocalypses. I've only been able to read a few excerpts of some, though; I wonder if anyone knows a good place I could find them? I'm looking particularly for the Apocalypses of Enoch, Peter, and Abraham Smile .

Peace Cool
Zopwx2 08-26-2005 08:59 PM
Did somebody say Zoroastrian? Big Grin

Recently I sort of cheated and "Cliff Noted" the bible instead of reading it directly. But at least now I'm much more familiar with the different stories and chronologies.
Generalissimo D 08-26-2005 09:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Did somebody say Zoroastrian? Big Grin

Thats it. I figured it out. To summon Zop one simply needs to say Zoroastrian and like Beetlejuice he pops out of the ground. Tongue

But that pretty much is the basis of pretty much Western Religions wasnt it? I looked into that a year or so ago around the time I started looking into Sikhism.

Amazing stuff it is. How so many remote places on earth develop similar beliefs.
TanookiJoe 08-26-2005 10:20 PM
quote:
But that pretty much is the basis of pretty much Western Religions wasnt it? I looked into that a year or so ago around the time I started looking into Sikhism.

Amazing stuff it is. How so many remote places on earth develop similar beliefs.

Are you talking about Judaism, Christianity and Zoroastrianism? They all arose in the same geographic region.

The Apocrypha are interesting. My favorite is 1 Enoch (don't know if that's the same as Apocalypse of Enoch, dawnstrider).
X Prime 08-27-2005 09:59 AM
quote:
quote:

I'm still not too happy with hu-er, nevermind.

And while I'm not entirely sold on all of the contradictions stemming from mistranslations, one of the funnier ones turns out to be that 'thou shalt not kill' is a mistranslation. (Kill is actually supposed to be Murder. Yes, there is a difference.)
Sharpshooter005 08-27-2005 11:05 AM
Since someone mentioned Zoroastrianism, heres a fun site.

Exit Mundi: A collection of end of the world scenarios

Basically it covers...everything, from space borne doombringers, to terrestrial phenomena, to aliens, to the various religious theories (including the zoroastrian riff on the end times)