Zopwx2 02-16-2005 09:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Neko
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:
Originally posted by Bllue
wow. you must be really bored to do that

Not at all. How come nobody understands the concept of reading it for enjoyment and learning?

Because you don't believe in any of them. It just sounds pointless.

Learning and enjoyment are so pointless.
Generalissimo D 02-17-2005 09:03 PM
quote:
quote:
I've never read the Bible cover to cover

I have. Twice. And I read the Torah, Talmud, and the Koran once, too (still have yet to read the necronomicon). If you're going to be an atheist, you better have the proper reason and knowledge to back it up.

The necronomicon is NOT REAL! It is merely and invention of H.P. Lovecraft! Saying thats real is saying that there is a book called Metropolis with the Author Angel Rosewater(Might be a possibility...but that would be a very strange coincidence.) Oh. Please dont bother with the begats in genesis. Not saying as a sort of insult, but it really isnt useful unless you want to track a bloodline or something. all in all, lighten up. Thanks to that little book the anime which binds us here has a plot.
Mike 02-17-2005 09:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigOZ
quote:
quote:

I have. Twice. And I read the Torah, Talmud, and the Koran once, too (still have yet to read the necronomicon). If you're going to be an atheist, you better have the proper reason and knowledge to back it up.

The necronomicon is NOT REAL! It is merely and invention of H.P. Lovecraft! Saying thats real is saying that there is a book called Metropolis with the Author Angel Rosewater(Might be a possibility...but that would be a very strange coincidence.) Oh. Please dont bother with the begats in genesis. Not saying as a sort of insult, but it really isnt useful unless you want to track a bloodline or something. all in all, lighten up. Thanks to that little book the anime which binds us here has a plot.

Yeah, the nerconomicon isn't real, but it's still cool.

Oh and here's my $0.02

I think the bible is great. Just remember it was written 2,000 years ago by people who loved metaphors. Don't let a book rule your life. This applies for basically every religion, too.
StevieV019 02-18-2005 09:26 AM
Is there something wrong with trying to find enlightenment, something empowering, purpose, or direction in your life? Is there something wrong with trying to become a well-rounded individual who can benefit society? Is there something wrong with trying to strengthen yourself, in all facets of your life? How about this: Is there something wrong with having a thirst for knowledge? Or trying to learn to be more knowledgable in a vast array of subjects? Is diversifying yourself a bad thing?

Not being diverse, closes the door to so many things. Being diverse doesnt mean you have to compromise your beliefs. Your beliefs are what you believe in and have faith in, plain and simple. But being knowledgable and having an interest in learning or trying to know new things only opens yourself up to the WHOLE world. You are freeing yourself from restriction. By doing so, you can open your mind to other perspectives, which makes you a much more peaceful person, and well, easier to deal with on a daily basis. Rather than being confrontational over a certain issue, you are open to discussing it. In order to do that, you must first be knowledgable in the subject so that you keep your emotions out of the discussion, and contribute facts and your perspective of the facts.

If this is indeed, a bad thing, then please, go on criticizing Cerpin Taxt for his desire to read books about anything, whether it be religion or any other subject. For he is, by far, ignorant in wanting to learn and further his knowledge. Roll Eyes
Travis Bickle 02-18-2005 09:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigOZ
quote:
quote:

Dude, it was a joke.

<---Evil Dead Fan

Anyway, I have the right to read what I want. Everything else you said after that, BigOZ, seems to dwindle and make sense less and less. Try to structure your sentences/paragraphs better and be more concise (just a suggestion).

And Johnny, who said I had to believe in something in order to read and/or enjoy it? I planned on becoming knowledgable on a subject on which I knew little or nothing about. I don't see any problem with that, but obviously you do, Johnny. Roll Eyes

(Thank you for your help, Stevie)
Generalissimo D 02-18-2005 05:09 PM
err sorry. When I rant my babble factor skyrockets. I do apologize Embarrassed Sweatdrop And fyi I do know people who think the Necronomicon is a real book, so dont blame me.
Jonny Axehandle 02-18-2005 07:10 PM
quote:
And Johnny, who said I had to believe in something in order to read and/or enjoy it? I planned on becoming knowledgable on a subject on which I knew little or nothing about. I don't see any problem with that, but obviously you do, Johnny. Roll Eyes

I do not. It just seems bizare because most athiests I know won't touch the Bible with a ten-foot-pole. And when they do it's just to critizise it and point out the "contradictory" things in it. If your just curious that's cool. Heck, maybe you'll see the truth in it someday.
Madrona 02-22-2005 03:19 AM
Have I read the Bible? yes..even the begats!

From cover to cover? no

Should you read it just because it forms the basis of philosophy for the western world? Probably

My mother in law pointed out (she was an English major) that a lot of writing in western literature makes reference to the Bible. If you don't understand the references, then how can you understand the story?

So sure, Scott can read all he likes. And when he reads other books he'll at least get the references.

Madrona
Cecil XIX 02-22-2005 11:56 AM
I've been reading a bit of the Bible every night for the past couple of months. The first few books of the New Testament are definitely cool. My copy has all of Christ's dialogue in red text, so it looks even cooler.

quote:
And Christ did speak of the future, how he would be arrested, crucified, dead, buried, and how he would be revived after three days. Then John pulled him aside and said, "You shouldn't be speaking of such things."

And Christ did respond, "I'm frickin' Jesus!"

I'm paraphrasing, mind you. Jesus is pretty cool.
BethMcBeth 02-24-2005 03:57 AM
I have also tried to read the bible but I just can never seem to really do its like information over load for me although when I was littler I use to like to look at the picture bible. Wink
Ozymandius Jones 02-24-2005 10:58 PM
I've read a lot of the Bible. Not as much as I would like to, but I'm trying.

I am a practicing Christian. I do not believe that it's necessary to read the bible to get to heaven, or anything like that. However, I do like to read it because I like to know what I believe in. I'd have to say my favorite Old Testament books are Psalms, Isaiah and Ezekiel; while my favorites from the New Testament are Luke, 1st Corinthians, and Revelation. I actually read Revelation when I'm depressed....
R_Dorothied 03-12-2005 10:26 AM
The Bible is a book of morals, basically.
Ano Hito 03-13-2005 08:53 AM
I love reading the bible because there's so many quoteable things in it you can apply to life whether you're christian or not.

Although I must say, I believe the bible is the one and only source of truth from God. None of this praying to Mary and saints and dead people business. I mean, really? The catholic church was an oppressive force in the middle ages and they made stuff up! I've been told by a Catholic person that all noncatholics are going to hell. I have a hard time believing that God would exclude so many of His people just because of that. Oh well. That's a discussion for another time.
TanookiJoe 03-13-2005 10:31 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bllue
wow. you must be really bored to do that

Not at all. How come nobody understands the concept of reading it for enjoyment and learning?

Because you don't believe in any of them. It just sounds pointless.

Ever read Greek mythology? Same principle.

If you ask me, the Bible is a medley of good poetry and interminable boringness, with a real cohesion problem (it is the product of countless authors, after all).

quote:
quote:

I do not. It just seems bizare because most athiests I know won't touch the Bible with a ten-foot-pole. And when they do it's just to critizise it and point out the "contradictory" things in it. If your just curious that's cool. Heck, maybe you'll see the truth in it someday.

Actually, atheists (proactive ones at least) tend to be fairly well read in the Bible, considering it's the major source that Christians use to argue against nonbelievers. You'd be surprised how many atheists know the Bible better than a good many Christians.

quote:
Originally posted by Madrona
Should you read it just because it forms the basis of philosophy for the western world? Probably

My mother in law pointed out (she was an English major) that a lot of writing in western literature makes reference to the Bible. If you don't understand the references, then how can you understand the story?
Madrona

Basis? Not quite. Huge influence? Definitely. And the need to understand allusions alone definitely makes the Bible worth reading.
OmegaDeus 03-15-2005 07:36 PM
I have read Matthew, Genesis, and Revelations. Revelations by itself would make a very interesting book, even without the rest of the Bible to back it up, of course one would have to give it a beginning, but still
Xel 03-15-2005 08:04 PM
Since I go to a religious private school, I've had some exposure to the Bible. It's got some great messages, definitely, but I think it's important not to take it too literally.

In my personal opinion, I mostly see the Bible as a valuable work of fiction. I do think Jesus really existed, but I feel that a lot of the stuff described in the Bible is embellished in the interest of artistry and symbolism.
NVWC2006 03-15-2005 08:27 PM
I have not read the Bible through and through. The copies of the bible we have here in my house are double-language bibles, odd pages being the same Hebrew Text as found in the Torah, and the even pages being the English translation. I've skimmed through it, and read a section on Noah for my Bar Mitzvah, and from celebrating holidays throughout the year I know the basics of what the Torah says in it, but not all the details. I have not read Talmud, and unlike Madonna, I don't plan to read Kaballah.
Though I don't believe it, myth says if anyone under 40 reads the Kaballah, they go insane. Kaballah is supposed to be "jewish mysticism" but from what I HAVE heard about what is in it... it seems to just be a practical guide to life of rights and wrongs. Then again, I only heard a small section... and that section was talking about...um..sort of like the right ways for a man to please a woman ^-^;;;; No, Jews aren't perverts, but I think that the reason you're not supposed to read it until you are 40 is because, when it was written, by the time one was 40, they'd be too old and weak to do anything (like sex) and therefore the stuff would be good as knowledge, not practical use.

Back on topic... I think in my English class next year, we read The New Testament. I'm not really looking forward to it but I'm also curious about what it has to say... To finally see what the majority of the world holds as it's backbone to their religion.
TanookiJoe 03-15-2005 08:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Xel
Since I go to a religious private school, I've had some exposure to the Bible. It's got some great messages, definitely, but I think it's important not to take it too literally.

In my personal opinion, I mostly see the Bible as a valuable work of fiction. I do think Jesus really existed, but I feel that a lot of the stuff described in the Bible is embellished in the interest of artistry and symbolism.

Or just plain inconsistency, if you ask me. Much of this is the fault of the OT, which was written earlier, over greater time spans, and by more authors than the NT.

quote:
Back on topic... I think in my English class next year, we read The New Testament. I'm not really looking forward to it but I'm also curious about what it has to say... To finally see what the majority of the world holds as it's backbone to their religion.

Actually, only a fifth of the world's population is Christian.
NVWC2006 03-16-2005 09:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TanookiJoe

Is it? Wow, Public school gives misleading facts ^-^;.
StevieV019 03-18-2005 07:46 AM
quote:

Actually, according to this link (while being 3 years outdated), Christianity makes up a third of the world's religion.
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html
Mind you, Im not sure how much of the world's population practices a religion, but based upon religious practitioners, Christianity makes up a third of that population...

Christianity is the largest religion in the world, however, estimates show that Islam is supposed to surpass Christianity as the largest religion worldwide in the 21st century sometime...