Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

The Fallen Phoenix 02-14-2005 12:45 AM
...yes, I know, I know, ever so typical of me. Has anyone else read this masterpiece? It's perhaps one of my favorite books (okay, it is my favorite book), and as wonderful as the musical is (and I love it to death), I really like the book, too...

I particularly enjoy comparing the characters. Book Marius is such an asshole compared to Musical Marius: he's a pompous jerk who spends a good hundred or so pages stalking Cosette (yes, stalking), whereas half the rest of the book's characters are legitimately suffering in some way or another. Book Éponine is just so heartwrenching...much more than Musical Éponine.

...I suppose the first question, though, is whether anyone else has read the book, before I get into these oh-so-interesting (but oh-so-irrelevent Tongue ) discussions...Wink
Gummibear 02-15-2005 06:47 AM
Although I have yet to read the book, I adore the broadway musical! I hope I get to read it someday. Victor Hugo shared the same birthday as me ( Feb.26)! ^.^
aeternus_flammus 03-13-2005 10:27 PM
I was Inspector Javert in a play my school presents. It is an amazing story.
BethMcBeth 03-14-2005 03:19 AM
When I was smaller I saw a play production version of it but I barely rember it I think I should see it again or soemthing but yes most of my friends adored it. ^_^"
Mugiwara Luffy 03-14-2005 02:02 PM
I liked this book enough to actually finish it after we already had the test over it. My favorite character was Javert.
YoruameBaroness 03-15-2005 03:49 PM
SporkGoddess of G Gundam fame would love you for posting this.

I haven't read it, but Sporky keeps yammering on and on about how wonderful it is, and she makes me want to read it.