[Suggestion] Subforum: The Library (BOOKS!)

pen1300 02-12-2005 02:56 PM
OH MY WORD! Here is yet another Subforum Suggestion (I see you rolling your eyes!), but I was actually asking you, the citizen of Paradigm City Forums, if you would like to see a "Library" built for Book discussions?

Basically, I see this place as a subforum where we can exchange titles and authors, and discuss our favorite books which range from bestsellers to the most random book you ever heard of. It would be a library, in essence. Big Grin

I all ready asked Krang if this would be all right. First we need to see if there is an interest. His suggestion was to possibly put it under the movie subforum as some books have turned into movies. My thought is to possibly place it in the Nightingale as that is a Literature area. Both ideas are good.

The other question would be what to call this subforum. I would call it "The Library" or something to that extent, but Paradigm City did not have a library persay. So, suggestions for names would be nifty (as I would think we'd like to keep it themed. Wink )

So, Paradigm City Forum Goers, discuss this and offer your suggestions and ideas. We'd love to hear them. Big Grin

Thank you and good day,
Pen1300
Zopwx2 02-12-2005 03:08 PM
The only library roger ever visited was that empty one in act 13 when he had all those flaming book flashbacks.
evanASF27 02-12-2005 03:08 PM
suprisingly...although I don't particularly don't like reading much...I'm all for this Smile

It would give us a chance to show others what books we like and recommend books to others...along with the other general random book-related threads Tongue heh

I'm all for this Pen Smile YAY

*edit*
So Zop...you want it to be called "The Library of Memories" then?
...hey, even though that was meant as a joke THAT SOUNDS GOOD! O_O Shocked
Zopwx2 02-12-2005 03:14 PM
Oh and I'd like to attach a rider to this thread:

Remove "shuttle to" and replace it with"The" for the movie forum.
Dude Love 02-12-2005 03:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]

Well, I'm fairly sure that the reason it has a Shuttle in there is because, as it is a Sub-forum of the Speakeasy, it should be named something that is in the Speakeasy (or associated with it). For example, the other Sub-Forums are named The Pool Table, The Jukebox, and The Bar, all objects in The Speakeasy.

Which presents an interesting dilemma with naming a possible Book Sub-Forum, unless it were something like "The Upstairs Library", as in the personal library of the tenant upstairs.

I like the idea, though, Pen. Smile Although I don't read often, I'm always interested in picking up a new book, but am always afraid that I'll just stop reading out of boredom. I like having books recommended to me first.
Zopwx2 02-12-2005 03:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
quote:

Well, I'm fairly sure that the reason it has a Shuttle in there is because, as it is a Sub-forum of the Speakeasy, it should be named something that is in the Speakeasy (or associated with it). For example, the other Sub-Forums are named The Pool Table, The Jukebox, and The Bar, all objects in The Speakeasy.

Which presents an interesting dilemma with naming a possible Book Sub-Forum, unless it were something like "The Upstairs Library", as in the personal library of the tenant upstairs.

I like the idea, though, Pen. Smile Although I don't read often, I'm always interested in picking up a new book, but am always afraid that I'll just stop reading out of boredom. I like having books recommended to me first.

I know, but who is going to be that picky.
The Fallen Phoenix 02-13-2005 12:30 AM
You're just suggesting this so you can justify your Librarian title, aren't you? Yes, yes, I know your plan, you cannot fool me! It always comes back to the Library with you...it is your Garden of Eden, your Home Away from Home, it is the very Crux of your Existence...

...that said, I am certainly all for it! Big Grin I think it is an excellent idea, and vote Yea! Pleased
Krang 02-13-2005 12:47 AM
As long as there is support, I'd have no problem adding it. However, there is one small problem: The more subforums we add to The Speakeasy, the further down the forum itself gets pushed. People with 1024x768 resolution can still see the top few threads, but people with 800x600 resolution may need to scroll down a little to see the threads. Would this be inconvenient for anyone?

quote:
quote:

Yes, that was the reason for the name. But maybe we should remove that naming requirement and rename the subforums like this:

The Pool Table -> The Speakeasy Pool Table (or maybe something different?)
The Jukebox -> Amadeus Pub & Restaurant (a much more appropriate name)
Shuttle to Golden Maiyer Theatre -> Golden Maiyer Theatre
The Bar -> The Speakeasy Bar (or maybe something different?)

And the new forum could be called either "The Library" or "The Library of Memories." What does everyone think?
Zopwx2 02-13-2005 12:52 AM
All of that sounds perfect
BabyGhia 02-13-2005 01:28 AM
The Subforum sounds like a good idea to me. I read (or use to) a lot. Probably would join in some of the discussions. Great idea!

As for the names, I like the ones you suggested, Krang. For the new subforum, I like The Library of Memories a lot.

BabyGhia
The Fallen Phoenix 02-13-2005 02:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
And the new forum could be called either "The Library" or "The Library of Memories." What does everyone think?

How about Pen's Playhouse? No? Oh well, it sounds like a good idea to me. Tongue

In all seriousness, either name works for me. I have no preference.
R.Smith 02-13-2005 02:24 AM
Suboforum sounds good to me, and the names you suggested Krang sound good as well. Smile Thumbs Up
Pygmalion 02-13-2005 09:29 AM
I like the idea of having a library subforum. I suggest we name it after the one person in Paradigm with a library; I suggest "Library of the Dead," "The Fitzgerald Library," or "Roscoe's Reading Room."

Pygmalion
evanASF27 02-13-2005 10:12 AM
quote:
Yes, that was the reason for the name. But maybe we should remove that naming requirement and rename the subforums like this:

In this order:
The Pool Table -- sounds nice to me...though if someone can find a better name go right ahead to change it Smile
Amadeus Pub & Restaurant -- awesome
Golden Maiyer Theatre -- awesome
Dale's Bar -- Big Grin Hey he IS part of the Speakeasy Tongue

The Library of Memories -- I LIKE IT! Tongue Big Grin
Dude Love 02-13-2005 03:51 PM
How about "The Forty-Second Street Humanities and Social Sciences Library"? Too long, I suppose. Well, that's the name of the well known Manhattan Library with the statues of the lions in front of it, and it might be cool to adapt that name to some degree (as Paradigm City is New York City). Other than that, I prefer "The Library" over "The Library of Memories".

I like Evan's list of the other names. "The Pool Table" and "The Bar" are fine by themselves, though you could change them to "The Pool Hall" and "The Tap" or something to that effect. "The Bar" is tricky as it's a bit too awkward to call it "The Speakeasy Bar", in my opinion.
pen1300 02-13-2005 05:45 PM
quote:
As long as there is support, I'd have no problem adding it. However, there is one small problem: The more subforums we add to The Speakeasy, the further down the forum itself gets pushed. People with 1024x768 resolution can still see the top few threads, but people with 800x600 resolution may need to scroll down a little to see the threads. Would this be inconvenient for anyone?

Not I, but then I've been here long enough to KNOW the Speakeasy is there...(hehe).

quote:

My preference is "The Library of Lost Memories." It has a certain ring to it that matches Paradigm City. I mean, books equal memories don't they?

As to the other suggestions, I'm not sure about "The Pool Table" and Bar, but I love the new name for the Jukebox! If you rearranged them so the two Speakeasys are next to each other, that would work out more...though, more confusion would not be good...eh. Those sound good. Big Grin Though, "The Speakeasy Tap" would be cool to have somewhere...

quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
You're just suggesting this so you can justify your Librarian title, aren't you? Yes, yes, I know your plan, you cannot fool me! It always comes back to the Library with you...it is your Garden of Eden, your Home Away from Home, it is the very Crux of your Existence...

...that said, I am certainly all for it! Big Grin I think it is an excellent idea, and vote Yea! Pleased

HECK YEAH! I LOVE Libraries. Librarians are some of the COOLEST people EVAR! Hehe.

Wow, I'm surprised with the feedback. I'm glad everyone seems to like the idea. Big Grin That makes me so happy!

HEY! Who are the people against learning? Evil (You don't have to say anything, that's why the poll is there. I just wanted to say that. Tongue )

Later,
Pen1300
Jonny Axehandle 02-13-2005 08:04 PM
Maybe we should be satisfied with the forums we already have by making better use of them. *dead silence*

quote:

That wouldn't be too bad. It's only 5 small subforum rows and 1024x768 is the average resolution these days.
Dude Love 02-13-2005 08:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Neko
Maybe we should be satisfied with the forums we already have by making better use of them. *dead silence*

quote:

That wouldn't be too bad. It's only 5 small subforum rows and 1024x768 is the average resolution these days.

Alternatively, you could just get rid of the Movie Sub-forum, as it is pretty inactive anyway, and try out the Books Sub-Forum in its stead.
Travis Bickle 02-13-2005 08:29 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Besides, I need a place to stick my soon-to-exist discussion on Brave New World. *gasp*
Krang 02-13-2005 09:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Out of all the suggestions, I like these names the best:

The Pool Hall
Amadeus Pub & Restaurant
Golden Maiyer Theatre
The Library of Lost Memories
Dale's Bar

I think we'll go with those unless anyone has any last minute suggestions.

quote:
Alternatively, you could just get rid of the Movie Sub-forum, as it is pretty inactive anyway, and try out the Books Sub-Forum in its stead.

Unless having 5 subforums causes any major problems, I don't really like the idea of removing any of the existing ones.