[Suggestion] Subforum: The Library (BOOKS!)

The Fallen Phoenix 02-13-2005 09:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Out of all the suggestions, I like these names the best:

The Pool Hall
Amadeus Pub & Restaurant
Golden Maiyer Theatre
The Library of Lost Memories
Dale's Bar


Those all sound rather fine to me. I myself do not have any last minute suggestions...and I think "The Library of Lost Memories" was the best practical suggestion for the Literary sub-forum, in my own humble opinion.
The Big Finale 02-13-2005 09:47 PM
May I suggest "Dr. Becklin's Lab" (I think that was Beck's alias in The Greatest Villian...) as a tentatively alternate name for the Bar? Also, I kind of like Pygmalion's ideas for the book subforum.

The new title for the Jukebox is a great idea; nice touch.

EDIT: Whoops, guess I'm a little too late...
Dude Love 02-13-2005 10:10 PM
Looks good. I prefer "The Library of Lost Memories" over simply "The Library of Memories".

Just one thing, though. I think the description is a bit awkward:

"Literature Discussion: All topics related to books, comics, and other written works can be discussed here."

If you cut out the "related to books, comics, an d other written works", it comes down to "All topics [...] can be discussed here", which sounds awkward to me. Personally, I find something along the lines of:

"Literature Discussion: Books, comics, and other written works can be discussed here."

or

"Literature Discussion: All topics related to books, comics, and other written works belong here."

I greatly prefer the former description I proposed over the latter, though. The second one sounds too much like a command.

EDIT: Then again, all the other sub-forum descriptions are like that, too, and it's not bothered me before.

Other than that, good stuff.

Oh, and what I meant by the point of replacing the movie sub-forum with the literature one was if it was too problematic to have five. Admittedly, I'm not always the best at expressing my ideas in words.
Krang 02-13-2005 10:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
May I suggest "Dr. Becklin's Lab" (I think that was Beck's alias in The Greatest Villian...) as a tentatively alternate name for the Bar? Also, I kind of like Pygmalion's ideas for the book subforum.

The new title for the Jukebox is a great idea; nice touch.

EDIT: Whoops, guess I'm a little too late...

Thanks for the suggestion, it actually caused me to rethink the name of the Bar, and I came up with something new. I was trying to think of a place in Big O where people went to goof off and have fun, and I remembered a location from Act 12:

The Masquerade Party

What does everyone think? Should I change it to that, or to Dr. Becklin's Lab, or just leave it Dale's Bar?

quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
Looks good. I prefer "The Library of Lost Memories" over simply "The Library of Memories".

Just one thing, though. I think the description is a bit awkward:

"Literature Discussion: All topics related to books, comics, and other written works can be discussed here."

If you cut out the "related to books, comics, an d other written works", it comes down to "All topics [...] can be discussed here", which sounds awkward to me. Personally, I find something along the lines of:

"Literature Discussion: Books, comics, and other written works can be discussed here."

or

"Literature Discussion: All topics related to books, comics, and other written works belong here."

I greatly prefer the former description I proposed over the latter, though. The second one sounds too much like a command.

EDIT: Then again, all the other sub-forum descriptions are like that, too, and it's not bothered me before.

To be honest, it sounds a little awkward to me, also. I changed it to something that should sound better.
Dude Love 02-13-2005 10:45 PM
Looks good, Krang. Smile That one was the most awkward of them all, though the other sub-forums (save The Bar) follow the same "pattern" of description (namely, "All topics [...] can be discussed here"). However, the Literature description was the only one that bothered me.

Also, I like the "The Masquerade Party" idea a lot. I find it to be a cool change. Smile No real logic behind my reason for liking it.
evanASF27 02-13-2005 10:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
May I suggest "Dr. Becklin's Lab" (I think that was Beck's alias in The Greatest Villian...) as a tentatively alternate name for the Bar? Also, I kind of like Pygmalion's ideas for the book subforum.

The new title for the Jukebox is a great idea; nice touch.

EDIT: Whoops, guess I'm a little too late...

Thanks for the suggestion, it actually caused me to rethink the name of the Bar, and I came up with something new. I was trying to think of a place in Big O where people went to goof off and have fun, and I remembered a location from Act 12:

The Masquerade Party

What does everyone think? Should I change it to that, or to Dr. Becklin's Lab, or just leave it Dale's Bar?

The Masquerade Party makes it sound as if the section is a place to discuss...umm..."PG-13" things. Well Schwarzwald DID throw the party to show Roger just how corrupt the society he was trying to protect was.
I like Dale's Bar best of those three...just cause it's appropriate for a Speakeasy-ish sub-section Smile Cool
The Fallen Phoenix 02-13-2005 10:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
The Masquerade Party makes it sound as if the section is a place to discuss...umm..."PG-13" things. Well Schwarzwald DID throw the party to show Roger just how corrupt the society he was trying to protect was.
I like Dale's Bar best of those three...just cause it's appropriate for a Speakeasy-ish sub-section Smile Cool


I disagree; to be honest, when I think "Masquerade Party" I think Phantom of the Opera (though I don't think that should be particularly surprising) but even then...well, it's something that just does not lend itself to serious discussion. After all, a Masquerade Party is still a party, and "normal" (though I use the word very lightly) people, I would think, probably would not use a party to discuss politics or philosophy. Even Masquerade Parties, though associated with the Upper Class, don't carry that sort of connotation with them...at least, in my opinion.

Er...in other words, I think it's fine, and I personally like it better than Dale's Bar. Dr. Becklin's Lab isn't bad, either, but I like the Masquerade Party a little more than that name, too.
Krang 02-14-2005 12:43 AM
Just wanted to mention that The Library of Lost Memories is now officially open, and I started it off by moving a few literature-related threads there. And while we're deciding on what to call the word games subforum, I thought I'd throw another idea out there: Maybe the video game forum could be called "Electric City"? That's the only other important Big O location I can think of that doesn't have a section named after it. But before I make any final decisions on the subforum names, I'd like to hear some more opinions first.
Dude Love 02-14-2005 01:05 AM
I'd say that "The Pool Hall" is more fitting that "Electric City". Though video games rely on electricity, I don't feel that "Electric City" really says "Video Game Discussion" to me.

However, "The Pool Hall" does. Though not directly related to Video Games, "The Pool Hall" does sum up what will be inside: some sort of game discussion.

Perhaps, however, a synthesis is in order. Though Electric City was pretty barren, perhaps "The Electric City Pool Hall" could be a possibility. Though long, it captures the best of each name. The Electricity in video games, and the games of The Pool Hall.

I really hope this makes sense late at night.
The Fallen Phoenix 02-14-2005 01:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
I'd say that "The Pool Hall" is more fitting that "Electric City". Though video games rely on electricity, I don't feel that "Electric City" really says "Video Game Discussion" to me.

However, "The Pool Hall" does. Though not directly related to Video Games, "The Pool Hall" does sum up what will be inside: some sort of game discussion.

Perhaps, however, a synthesis is in order. Though Electric City was pretty barren, perhaps "The Electric City Pool Hall" could be a possibility. Though long, it captures the best of each name. The Electricity in video games, and the games of The Pool Hall.

I really hope this makes sense late at night.


None at all Wienberg, none at all.

Electric City...interesting, I do admit. Not sure if I like it more than the Pool Table (I'm not a big fan of The Pool Hall), though...

How about the Underground Gaming Expo? Since we never did know what that Exposition was for (it's conjectured to be a Military Expo, of course, but it's really anyone's guess)...

I don't know, just throwing around ideas.
Dude Love 02-14-2005 04:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
None at all Wienberg, none at all.

Electric City...interesting, I do admit. Not sure if I like it more than the Pool Table (I'm not a big fan of The Pool Hall), though...

How about the Underground Gaming Expo? Since we never did know what that Exposition was for (it's conjectured to be a Military Expo, of course, but it's really anyone's guess)...

I don't know, just throwing around ideas.


Darn. I really ought to work on my late night post quality Tongue

I do like the "Underground Gaming Expo" idea. But, I suppose that would make the Archetype some sort of Virtual Reality game Tongue
pen1300 02-14-2005 08:28 PM
I'm totally up for "The Masquerade (sp) Party" for the forum games forum. It has a 'certain ring' to it that I just like. (Of course, I like those kind of parties personally, though I've only ever been to one.)

As to the game forum, Electric City is cool and I also like the name it has now. The Underground Gaming Expo is interesting. When it comes to the video game forum: it's up to the citizens. Big Grin

Later,
Pen1300
evanASF27 02-14-2005 11:12 PM
Those names might be fine in some respects...but some of them just don't tie in with the theme that's goin on there.

We have "The Speakeasy"...and inside "The Speakeasy" are similar sections titled "Amadeus Pub & Restaurant", "Dale's Bar", "The Pool Hall", and "Golden Maiyer Theatre". The only one that isn't as 'fitting' as the others is "The Library of Memories"...but regardless it's a good name.

But I don't see why we've got to break up that theme with these other names.... Electric City? Underground Gaming Expo!?...they might be good for overall categories (like how we have "The Speakeasy", "JFK Mark Airport", "The Nightingale"...) but they just don't fit with that little theme there. And that theme is quite honestly really nice. I don't see why we need to mess around with a good thing Neutral

It's like saying that "Ailesberry Farm" should be changed to "Anime Expo '04" simply because it's another name...when of course there's nothing wrong with "Ailesberry Farm" at all.
The Big Finale 02-14-2005 11:21 PM
My vote for the forum games section, naturally, goes to my own suggestion (Dr. Becklin's Lab), but I like The Masquerade Party as well.

And regarding the games forum, since video games ARE technology, may I suggest "Wayneright Manor"?