Episode 12 Discussion: "The Other Brothers Elric, Part 2"

Krang 01-29-2005 11:47 PM
Shredder usually starts the discussion threads here, but I'll fill in this time. Discuss episode 12 of Fullmetal Alchemist here. Enjoy!
Wingnut 01-30-2005 12:09 AM
I was rather dissapointed that Lust vanished without even so much as makeing a comment on the failure of the scientist. So those two were plant alchemists at their core huh? Interesting concept. Throws Hydroponics right out the window.
Ed really needs to get over his vertically challenged complex. Although for haveing a guy that much taller and a year younger, Ed and I'd imagine Al too, is a bit on the short side.
Green_Bird 01-30-2005 12:37 AM
It was good...But it was strange that Lust did dissapear without making a comment like Wingnut said. I like how at the end what Fletcher and Russell did to soak up the red water.

Though...Fletcher's voice could have been a wee bit better, it was still okay.
Barrin 01-30-2005 11:17 AM
If I've been following this right, this is the second two-parter, after the first two episodes. This was kind of cool, and Ed is still too upset about his height. It does add for comic relief at the right moments. I feel we may see the two other brothers some day, but I wonder if that red water will turn up again.
Sephiroth 01-30-2005 12:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
I was rather dissapointed that Lust vanished without even so much as makeing a comment on the failure of the scientist. So those two were plant alchemists at their core huh? Interesting concept. Throws Hydroponics right out the window.
Ed really needs to get over his vertically challenged complex. Although for haveing a guy that much taller and a year younger, Ed and I'd imagine Al too, is a bit on the short side.

I don't really think that Lust could make a comment, since oh you know the guy was crushed by a rock. If he had lived she would have killed him. However, when hes already dead and everything you worked for is ruined, there really isn't a point in hanging around. Besides, she never expected it to really suceed, you can see that from her conversations with the scientist.

Anyway, I liked this episode, and I especially liked the plant alchemy the brothers used. I really disliked that scientist though, he bugged me, I didn't like the way he tried to fake alchemic powers. This episode really showed how far people will go to get the Philosopher's stone, even going so far as to kill the entire infant population of a town. I think it showed Ed and Al what obssesion over the stone can cause.
Zopwx2 01-30-2005 12:19 PM
This episode played out as I'd expected it too.

Although next episode seems much more interesting becuase he is going to confront mustang for one reason or another...

One thing: How come they don't make him wear the blue state alchemist uniform?
The Shadow 01-30-2005 05:04 PM
Nice way to end up the two parter - it's interesting to see that folks end up using different transmutation circles for different 'targets' of alchemy - EG the agricultural alchemic circle has curves inside instead of the one with triangles we see in the shows opening.
Madrona 01-31-2005 11:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]
This episode played out as I'd expected it too.

Although next episode seems much more interesting becuase he is going to confront mustang for one reason or another...

One thing: How come they don't make him wear the blue state alchemist uniform?

I have a small theory on that. Okay, maybe two.
One: he was assigned so quickly that they didn't have time to make one up for him..he's so short after all, it's not like they come off the rack [/sarcasm]

Two: The blue uniform is a sign of the military and brings about instant distrust. State Alchemist= Dog of the Military. This way people look at him and then who he works for. Besides, they are off on their own, who would enforce a uniform code?

-------------
I think the whole concept of living your own life and not having to follow in someone's footsteps is the key to this story. The town can't seem to break out of it's rut. It thinks it's only way of surviving is to get gold. Fletcher and Russell think that the only way to succeed is to finish their father's work. Ed and Al don't believe that. Although they are alchemist like their father, they don't neccessarily follow in his footsteps. In fact one would say that Ed try's to run away from that idea. He doesn't remember him or even respect him. It seems to be their job to show people other options.

I am really, really looking forward to next weeks episode.

Madrona
BabyGhia 02-04-2005 01:48 PM
Actually, I think Madrona summed up what I was going to say the best... the part about people should live their own lives.

It's interesting about the Red Water though. Too bad it was so toxic. But on the other hand, the process of making a stone out of it wasn't causing anyone any joy. Interesting how Fletcher was trying to use plants to take out the toxins. Also, Russell and Fletcher's alchemy was rather unique.

The next episode does look interesting. It'll be interesting to see how the next one plays out. Looking forward to it.

BabyGhia