Dark Water

Green_Bird 01-26-2005 04:28 PM
I posted about this over at the Speakeasy. Might as well post it here too. It's another Japanese remake. It's suposed to be out some time in August (theringworld.com)....I haven't seen the original yet or read the book, but I have read the manga. It is yet again by Kôji Suzuki (The guy who wrote the ring). Again, I would like to see it....even if it is a remake.

Here's the plot summary from IMDb....and here is the IMDb page on it.

quote:
A mother and daughter, still wounded from a bitter custody dispute, hole up in a run-down apartment building. Adding further drama to their plight, they are targeted by the ghost of former resident.

I saw the trailer it looks good. What do you guys think?
Nine Kuze 02-06-2006 01:41 PM
Revival of an old thread...

I actually saw this movie the other day and with my insanely high standards for movies, its nothing really to talk about. Jennifer Connelly (one of my favorite actors) was pretty good as the mother and this is somewhat of an interesting role for her to play in a horror genre based movie. The little girl was good as well (I have no idea what her name is) playing the daughter (where's Dakota Fanning?!) and the director of photography did a pretty good job of picturing that area of New York City.

Alas, the plot was pretty damn bad as they focused on the actual physical problems of the apartment rather than paying attention to the ghost that's haunting the apartment complex, why she is haunting the complex, her story and etc. They vaguely go into it but they never really explain it. Its like, okay you're the ghost of a girl haunting me... WHY?!

That's basically it. As Green_Bird said, its a Japanese remake but still, its way too similar of The Ring and The Grudge. And some how, this movie makes those two actually good.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 02-06-2006 07:46 PM
The trailers looked like it was just 90 minutes to 2 hours of Jennifer Connelly walking around damp hallways with this perpetual look of unease on her face.

....I'd rent that, definately.

quote:
2 hours of Jennifer Connelly in a bathing suit walking around in blank space. It would be awesome.

Cinematic artistry at its FINEST.
Generalissimo D 02-06-2006 07:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
The trailers looked like it was just 90 minutes to 2 hours of Jennifer Connelly walking around damp hallways with this perpetual look of unease on her face.

When doesn't she have a perpetual look of unease on her face?

2 hours of Jennifer Connelly in a bathing suit walking around in blank space. It would be awesome.

I called it first.
Big Money 02-06-2006 07:50 PM
quote:

o_O

Perhaps if this were instead Pirates of Dark Water...

... In all honesty I heard this movie sucked.
X Prime 02-06-2006 07:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
quote:

o_O

...I.

Thought.

The.

Exact.

Same.

Thing.

Pirates of Dark Water ruled.
Buck Buck #1 02-06-2006 08:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
quote:

o_O

...I.

Thought.

The.

Exact.

Same.

Thing.

Pirates of Dark Water ruled.

I love you guys.

My mom rented it and i looked in on a coule minutes. It wasn't too interesting.
Hobodoken 02-06-2006 08:06 PM
Holy crap...

I saw this thread earlier, and hoping it to be about Pirates of Dark Water, I entered. Dismayed, I left.

O_O
X Prime 02-06-2006 08:07 PM
It's a shame the last episodes never aired... The cliffhanger, dear God.
David Ryder 02-06-2006 08:13 PM
I saw both the american and japanese versions. both are weak. it's just the ring (and basically every japanese horror movie). "Oh no! gasp it's a girl with long black hair!!! Run!"
Sharpshooter005 02-06-2006 08:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
I saw both the american and japanese versions. both are weak. it's just the ring (and basically every japanese horror movie). "Oh no! gasp it's a girl with long black hair!!! Run!"

Just so nobodys shocked when they see this...for better or worse, the silent hill movie looks like its going to have some of that going on.

quote:
I still have high hopes that the SH movie will turn out atleast decent.

In all fairness, they sort of have to do that if they're trying to maintain some parallel with the first game

spoiler (highlight to read):
The dark haired girl in question is most likely Alyssa, or the equivilent of Alyssa. From the picture that was in one of the older sets floating around they were shown wearing a similar outfit.
David Ryder 02-06-2006 08:19 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes

Just so nobodys shocked when they see this...for better or worse, the silent hill movie looks like its going to have some of that going on.

Interesting. well I still have high hopes that the SH movie will turn out atleast decent.
Nine Kuze 02-07-2006 01:52 PM
quote:
quote:

I hear that. And what the hell happened here? We went from takin' about Dark Water the movie to Pirates of the Dark Water the cartoon.

Anyway, Pirates of the Dark Water was some stuff back in the day.
Peace.
Travis Bickle 02-07-2006 07:03 PM
quote:
quote:

Somebody needs to watch Requiem for a Dream.

"ASS TO ASS!"
seraphjei 02-20-2006 09:07 PM
Another decent Japanese movie that has been butchered by hollywood. Good job hollywood for flopping the movie.