Episode 11 Discussion: "The Other Brothers Elric"

Shredder 01-22-2005 10:54 PM
About 10 minutes to episode 11 of FMA! Who are these mysterious brothers claiming to be Ed and Al Elric? Find out next...enjoy!
angelcakes 01-22-2005 11:14 PM
Anyone notice fake Ed and fake Al...sound like Ed and Al...weird O.O

So far really awsome episode...real interesting ^_^
evanASF27 01-22-2005 11:30 PM
......is it just me.....or is that little kid using MY FREAKIN NAME?!!?!?!!?!!!! o_o;

I demand to know what the name of the False younger Elric is.

...aside from that...the episode really had me tense. It was definately an awkward situation and I really was thinking that Ed and Al were gonna "lose". Anyways, I'm extremely anxious to see the second half of this. Big Grin
Barrin 01-23-2005 12:01 AM
Cheap imitation stones produce cheap stuff. I'm amazed the guy from the first episode was able to fool the people for as long as he did. Now I'll be in suspence as to what that stuff does.
Ano Hito 01-23-2005 12:04 AM
Every time I watch this show I am delighted with how awesome it is. It's a great fantasy anime, if it can be classified as such.

Tonight's episode was a great way to reintroduce the plot started in the first and second episodes.
Krang 01-23-2005 12:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
......is it just me.....or is that little kid using MY FREAKIN NAME?!!?!?!!?!!!! o_o;

His real name is Fletcher.

Speaking of names, I found the pronunciation of the researcher's name in Funi's version kind of strange. In the Japanese version, it sounds like it could be spelled "Magwar" (or maybe "Magwall"), but this version pronounces it more like "Mugiar". The katakana of his name from the official Japanese site reinforces the first spelling, but it also writes it in English as "Mugear," so I guess either one could work (I'm just more used to hearing it the first way).
Green_Bird 01-23-2005 01:25 AM
Heh....the little girl calling Al Ed's Metal Father Laughing . But tonights was good. I'm with Evan, I can't wait for the second part ^_^ .....
evanASF27 01-23-2005 02:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

His real name is Fletcher.

hmmm...if I remember correctly the first time he shouted it out, he said it correctly...but after that they came up with some wierd ways of pronouncing it...like cutting out the "t" >_< .....Thanks Krang! Cool
Sephiroth 01-23-2005 08:07 AM
That was a really good episode. They whole poison gas side effect of making a red stone showed the pain and suffering a philosopher's stone can cause. If anybody noticed, the Priest in the village in the first episode had a red stone too, or at least it appeared to be, and we all know what happened to him after using it too much. I wonder what it will do to the Older fake Elric brother. I'm just happy that Lust is back, finally. One question though, how did the fake Elric alchemize without a circle before he had the red stone, I thought only Ed could do that?
Zopwx2 01-23-2005 12:25 PM
This was an odd episode, definately interesting to see how this turns out, although they seem to constantly reinforce the same themes in every episode about making sure what you do is honest and helps the people.
Ano Hito 01-23-2005 02:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
That was a really good episode. They whole poison gas side effect of making a red stone showed the pain and suffering a philosopher's stone can cause. If anybody noticed, the Priest in the village in the first episode had a red stone too, or at least it appeared to be, and we all know what happened to him after using it too much. I wonder what it will do to the Older fake Elric brother. I'm just happy that Lust is back, finally. One question though, how did the fake Elric alchemize without a circle before he had the red stone, I thought only Ed could do that?

I think he had the fake one the whole time but was making more.
Jane 01-23-2005 04:04 PM
I liked this episode too. I liked seeing the two brothers as foils for Ed and Al. Seeing Fletcher made me realize how much we miss by having Al locked up in a suit of armor--we never get to see his expressions. In reality, he is a little boy, and the suit of armor and his quietness make me forget that. But, it seems as if Al takes things as deeply as Fletcher does, which I didn't realize, because I didn't see his face.

It still annoys me that Ed throws a big fit whenever anyone makes a crack about his height. I know why he does it, but that reaction only makes him look as immature as his height implies. I'm glad Al is so level-headed, even though it makes him a less interesting character on his own, it's a good balance for his brother. The interesting thing about the fake Ed (did it ever say his name) seems as short-tempered and driven as Ed. Could Ed's driving passion and short temper make him vunerable to manipulation?
Green_Bird 01-23-2005 07:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jane
The interesting thing about the fake Ed (did it ever say his name)
[...]

His name is Russell. They didn't say his name in this episode though, I just got it from a magazine....
Krang 01-23-2005 11:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ano Hito
quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
One question though, how did the fake Elric alchemize without a circle before he had the red stone, I thought only Ed could do that?

I think he had the fake one the whole time but was making more.

Yep, the only reason he didn't need to use a circle when he met up with Ed is because he had a red stone with him both times.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]
This was an odd episode, definately interesting to see how this turns out, although they seem to constantly reinforce the same themes in every episode about making sure what you do is honest and helps the people.

That's mostly in the individual episodes which happen earlier in the series. Later on, there is more of a main plot, so those themes won't be encountered nearly as much.
Instro 01-26-2005 09:28 AM
quote:

It still annoys me that Ed throws a big fit whenever anyone makes a crack about his height. I know why he does it, but that reaction only makes him look as immature as his height implies. I'm glad Al is so level-headed, even though it makes him a less interesting character on his own, it's a good balance for his brother. The interesting thing about the fake Ed (did it ever say his name) seems as short-tempered and driven as Ed. Could Ed's driving passion and short temper make him vunerable to manipulation?

I agree. But while Ed's fits can get old, they sure are funny sometimes. Poor Ed, the Frankie Muniz of the anime world.
BabyGhia 01-26-2005 11:53 AM
Enjoyed this episode also. Loved the Metal Father line. And it really doesn't bother me that they always bug Ed about his height. Eventually I'm sure it will... but not yet.

So the Fake Elric Brothers are trying to help make the Philosopher's Stone. Interesting. Next week I'll have to watch this episode again along with the next one. Looking forward to it.

quote:
Seeing Fletcher made me realize how much we miss by having Al locked up in a suit of armor--we never get to see his expressions. In reality, he is a little boy, and the suit of armor and his quietness make me forget that. But, it seems as if Al takes things as deeply as Fletcher does, which I didn't realize, because I didn't see his face.

I really have to agree on you with this.

BabyGhia
Madrona 01-26-2005 12:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Instro
quote:

I agree. But while Ed's fits can get old, they sure are funny sometimes. Poor Ed, the Frankie Muniz of the anime world.

Can I third this? And I'd have to say that bit of the animation bugged me to. They usually cut from Ed to recover from his "fit" . But this time we just see him pop off from the B&W to his normal self. It was sort of clunky (sorry, best word I could think of).

Anyway, I think the FAKE ED(Russell you say?) looks like Mustang with blond hair. Does anyone else see that?

I agree with all of you about how much we miss of Al. They try to convey something with his voice and cartoony expressions on the armor, but really, we know we are missing a lot.

I continue to look forward to this show week after week.

Madrona
Instro 01-27-2005 01:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Madrona

Can I third this? And I'd have to say that bit of the animation bugged me to. They usually cut from Ed to recover from his "fit" . But this time we just see him pop off from the B&W to his normal self. It was sort of clunky (sorry, best word I could think of).

Madrona

Hey, I noticed that, too! I remember thinking, "Well, that was kind of clumsy..."
Bllue 01-27-2005 03:45 PM
>_>
<_<
ive only been able to see two halves of episodes..
*sobs*