Book Recommendation

dorothyrocks 09-11-2003 09:08 PM
At, Io's I was picking up some of the books on her floor....there's everything on her floor....anyway, she has a book that reminded me of certain people here.

The book is Penn & Teller's Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends by Penn Jilliette & Teller. It has many cruel jokes, that I'm sure you'd all enjoy, like the cockroach in the hat trick, as performed on Late Night with David Letterman.

I suggest going to look for this book, it was pretty funny, and it has cool pages......
Schwarzwald 09-11-2003 09:09 PM
dante's inferno

thats all that needs to be said
Quint 09-11-2003 09:11 PM
for me its is
"Learn Enlish in 10 minutes" but alass it took 12 years
Schwarzwald 09-11-2003 09:13 PM
OHOH wait... how to play dugeons and dragons....

yeah... or anybook that teaches you that...

then you need to get the other books about monsters and weapons...

and then join the dnd club at your school for more info
Mike 09-11-2003 09:13 PM
Jurassic Park. Better than the movie.

Rainbow Six, too. Really anything by Clancy.
Jeff 09-11-2003 09:19 PM
What is Dantes Inferno, anyway?

We have this really old italian version of the book. If only I knew enough italian to read it.
Schwarzwald 09-11-2003 09:21 PM
7 layers of hell...

he wrote a story abouta man visiting hell(im pretty sure... it has been a while).... and he visits each layer... and the last layer...

should i tell?

well actually if you use common scence you shouldn't be surpirsed what natural element represents it...
dawnstrider 09-11-2003 09:22 PM
Dandilion Wine by Ray Bradbury. Implicit philosophy, mysticism, and a realistic depiction of growing up in the Midwest during the 1920s all wraped into one book. Beowulf's great if you go for the epic thing.
Lady Tesser 09-11-2003 09:47 PM
Anything by Robert A. Heinlein, most especially 'Stranger in a Strange Land' with the martian Valentine Michael Smith and the old codger thinker Jubal Harshaw. His discussions of theology and philosophy are brilliant!

I also recommend Jimmy Buffett's 'Tales from Margaritaville'.

(Inferno was part of a tale called 'The Divine Comedy' about Dante taking a trip through the after life and being guided by Virgil through hell and purgatory and Beatrice taking him on a tour of heaven. If you read 'Paradiso' while listening to an Enya album, it makes it all the more mystical.)
Manji 09-11-2003 09:50 PM
Anyone read the meloncholy death of Oyster boy and other strange tales? It was written by...(forgot his name... he was the guy that directed the nightmare before christmas...)
Prince-Consort Tesser 09-11-2003 09:52 PM
The Lensman Saga by E.E. "Doc" Smith - one of the true classics of early science fiction. The technology is a bit dated (seeing as it was written before WW2) and the vocabulary is a bit of a stretch, but it's a fine story. DC Comics fans may know about the greatest rip-off from the Lensman stories, the Green Lantern Corps.

The Nantucket Trilogy by S.M. Stirling - something for everybody. Time travel, politics, exploration, multi-ethnic lesbians, bloody battles, guns and cannon and swords, demonic cults, marauding evil empires, and history stuff galore. Everyone's bound to find something they like.

"How Much For Just The Planet?" by John M. Ford - a Star Trek novel, and immensely funny. The numerous alien musical numbers are quite memorable, the duel of wits between the sloppy manic-depressive Vulcan and the paranoid-schitzophrenic computer is almost painfully funny, and the big climatic pie-fight between Captain Kirk and the Klingons is unforgettable.
David F 09-11-2003 10:07 PM
Memoirs of a Geisha an awesome book, really shows how a real Geisha lived in the early 1900's.
Mugiwara Luffy 09-11-2003 10:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dawnstrider
Dandilion Wine by Ray Bradbury. Implicit philosophy, mysticism, and a realistic depiction of growing up in the Midwest during the 1920s all wraped into one book. Beowulf's great if you go for the epic thing.

Argh, that's the book we had to read over the summer, and I hated it. It really had no main plot.

As for book recommendations, I suggest Frankenstein. It's like the only book out of the ones we read last year that I actually liked.
evanASF27 09-11-2003 10:26 PM
I go with Lord Of the Flies...it's a very wonderful book...

Besides taht I've written 1 1/2 books myself (writing as I post!) Smile Though it's children's fiction Embarrassed Sweatdrop
GoGoArlo 09-11-2003 10:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Manji
Anyone read the meloncholy death of Oyster boy and other strange tales? It was written by...(forgot his name... he was the guy that directed the nightmare before christmas...)

It was Tim Burton. and FYI he produced nightmare before cristmas he never directed it (sorry im kind of a fan) but yea thats a funny book of poems. Anything by David Sedaris is good he's somewhat of a comedy writer. He sometimes writes stuff for Esquire magazine and his books tend to be collections of short storys from his life. wether it's his tales of being a cristmas mall elf, or that time his sister brought a prostitute over to his family's house on cristmas eve, or the harrowing adventures of going to a nudist colony his storys will put a smile and a chuckle on your face. So far i've read "Me talk pretty one day" and "Naked" but I know he has more.
evanASF27 09-11-2003 10:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schwarzwald
dante's inferno

thats all that needs to be said

I remember playing "Inferno" from The Divine comedy in band O_O
It seems like an interesting plot...
C.R Foxhound 09-12-2003 09:56 AM
C.R Foxhound recommends

Ender's Game
2001:A Space Odessy(try and keep it with it)
2010Red Face dessy Two(not as confusing as the first)
Catcher in The Rye
The Chocolate war(Archie pwns)
and the last one isnt a novel but a short story(and my personal favorite)A christmas memory

Whoever says reading sux is a moron,open a book kids,you wont regret it
dawnstrider 09-12-2003 10:47 AM
I love the "Divine Comedia". I've read the Inferno in it's entirety, and exepts from Paridisio and Purgatorio. If anyone likes abstract/philosophical works, I can recommend any of the following:

Dune-Frank Herbert (no brainer)
Somewhere East of life--Brian Aldriss (little known, but very revealing)
Invisible Man--Ralph Ellison(not THE invisible man Wink , but an unusual interpretation of race relations in the not-so-old south)
The Story of B and My Ishmeal, both by Daniel Quinn (anyone who knows Quinn knows why Smile ).)

Reading and writing are 85% of my life (or whatever passes as such).
Snoozy 09-12-2003 11:50 AM
OMG. Books = my one twue love!

Okay. Here's my list:

A Confederacy of Dunces - Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful book.

Heart of Darkness - Read this, then watch Apocalypse Now. It's CRAZY!

The Long Dark Teatime of The Soul - It's by Douglas Adams, and involves so many crazy things at once I can't begin to describe how great it is.

Watership Down - Rabbits: their society, folklore and much much more!

The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury is totally my god. You MUST read this collection of stories.

And then there's a graphic novel I'd like to recommend - "Jimmy Corrigan: the Smartest Kid on Earth" by Chris Ware. It's beautiful, amusing, shocking at times, and very depressing throughout... If anything, buy it to gaze in awe at the artwork. If you like it, I'd also recommend "Quimby The Mouse," which I found equally disturbing/beautiful.
088nd 09-12-2003 01:52 PM
Martian Chronicles by Bradbury is good and so is Animal Farm by George Orwell. Those little animals are so cute Big Grin