Book Recommendation

Captain Maw 04-06-2005 07:26 PM
I recommend: Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colonus, and Antigone. the complete Oedipus (e di pus) Cycle is a must read, a classic by Sophocles. has the best Catharsis ever!
angelcakes 04-06-2005 07:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David F
Memoirs of a Geisha an awesome book, really shows how a real Geisha lived in the early 1900's.

I agree 100 % It's a really amazing book. What I found particular amazing was the book was written by a man (Arthur Golden) The POV comes from a young promising geisha. The ability for a man to write as a women so well is something you should really check out. Plus it's a great book for people who like manga and anime. It is much like one, I think. I enjoyed it very much ^_^
TanookiJoe 04-06-2005 08:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
has the best Catharsis ever!

Hahaha. That made me laugh. Tongue
R and D 05-09-2005 12:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes
quote:
Originally posted by David F
Memoirs of a Geisha an awesome book, really shows how a real Geisha lived in the early 1900's.

I agree 100 % It's a really amazing book. What I found particular amazing was the book was written by a man (Arthur Golden) The POV comes from a young promising geisha. The ability for a man to write as a women so well is something you should really check out. Plus it's a great book for people who like manga and anime. It is much like one, I think. I enjoyed it very much ^_^

we have that book at our school and i really enjoyed too!

speaking of my library...

it's closed for the rest of year! does anyone know of a really good funny or scifi book i can read? maybe they might have it at my public library.
Lone bebop 07-06-2005 09:01 AM
I recommend this book

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn

It’s the first book of the Tales of the Otori Trilogy. It takes place in a fantasy world similar to ancient Japan. The story revolves around 16 year old Takeo, who belonged to a group a people called the Hidden who worship the secret god (the religion is like Christianity) and are completely harmless. Then one day when Takeo is out up in the mountains his whole village is slaughtered at the hands of the Tohan Clan and he is the only one left. He is saved from death by Otori Shigeru. From there on out Takeo learns about his dead farther’s life before he meet Takeo’s mother. He was a powerful assassin from "The Tribe" who has these special powers. Takeo, with the help of Shigeru seeks revenge on the Tohan Clan leader, who not only orders the death of his people but also took part in the slaughter himself.

All in all it’s a really great book, its kinda slow in the beginning but not for long. The best way I can sum it up is. The book is like the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon mixed with Frank Herbert’s “Dune”
088nd 07-06-2005 09:08 AM
The Temptest by William Shakespeare. Funny as hell.
Collateral 08-07-2005 07:57 PM
I recommend Endless Night by Agatha Christie. If you enjoy twist you might enjoy this. It was even one of Agatha Christie's favorites.
Big Money 08-07-2005 08:14 PM
Snow Crash by Neil Stevenson. Totally blew my mind.
The Fallen Phoenix 09-29-2005 10:37 PM
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy: everyone should read that book. It is extremely well written (one of the best narrative styles I have ever read), really gets you thinking about a lot of different issues (some of them rather controversial, depending on who you ask)...

And it's just an excellent read. So, go out and read it!
R.Smith 12-04-2005 08:43 PM
700 Sundays, by Billy Crystal.

Wonderfully funny and well written book.
Randolph 12-31-2005 02:43 AM
C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy was doubtless one of the finest
works of english literature that I have ever read.

I beats the mortal inanity out of just about every other science fiction work
I've seen, and teaches a valuable lesson on the nature of humanity
while doing it!

I can reccommend all three books of it. Fascinating.
It gave me headaches! And that, my friends, takes resilience to acheive.
Jstar136 01-29-2006 05:13 PM
I recommend The Book of Paradox by Louise Cooper.

It deals with the adventure of a dead man on a quest of repentance. He is framed for killing his loved one and executed by a jealous other. He is given the book of Paradox to aid him in his journey across this puzzling land between life and death, almost a Limbo.

Every chapter is named after and themed by a Tarot card of the Greater Arcanum.

The end is indefinitely the best part! Cool
The Fallen Phoenix 03-03-2006 04:47 PM
Well, one more for now: Jeanette Winterson's the Passion is a splendid little book. I love it about as much as I love Roy's the God of Small Things, and both are only slightly behind my all-time favorite Les Mis. Like the God of Small Things, the Passion was written in such a captivating manner that it was difficult for me to put the book down for even a few moments: the story was well delivered, and was incredibly intriguing in its own right.

I intend to do a lot of reading this Spring, so I will likely be checking this thread very often, so I would love to see some more book recommendations from other members. For my part, I will be sure to recommend books as I finish them if I believe they are worth recommending.
Sharpshooter005 03-03-2006 04:59 PM
Since I just brought the sword of honor trilogy (but haven't started it yet). I'll run down some books by evelyn waugh.

The loved one: Humorous sendup of the funeral industry

Scoop: Again, humorous sendup of newspaper reporters in a third world civil war

A handful of dust is another good one...and...I guess the only other one I've read is the ordeal of gilbert pinfold. Which is probably more amusing if you've already read another one of his books (since the main character is a thinly disguised version of Waugh himself)

And I've probably reccomended blood meridian by cormac mccarthy about nine times before..but...yeah. Go read it, you won't regret it. It'll either leave you totally shellshocked when you're done, or you'll think its the best thing ever for maybe two weeks afterwords. Probably both.

quote:
What isn't to like about the Moon being a prison colony

Best idea ever

1) No possibility of escape...because YOU ARE ON THE MOON.

2) Riot control? Oh dear, they might take over...the moon

3) If the aliens hit something, guess whos getting it first..yes, the outer-space moon colony of murderers and rapists. We'll know they mean buisness AND save money on death sentence appeals.

THERE IS NO PART OF THIS PLAN I DON'T LIKE.
Travis Bickle 03-04-2006 12:27 AM
Tucker Max's "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell"

Funniest book ever.
Hobodoken 03-04-2006 12:42 AM
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, as well as Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper.

What isn't to like about the Moon being a prison colony, a religion involving mass nudity, and parallel time-lines!
harshfire 03-24-2006 02:01 AM
Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen are all really good books if you're into the fantasy stuff. The three are an entire series, and the Lirael one's pretty thick. By Garth Nix.

Or the Merlin Epic by T.A. Barron. Five books. More fantasy. Pretty good.

Of course, I haven't had much time to read. Been too busy with English reading rather than enjoyment reading...

Later days:
Rev
Bllue 06-21-2006 03:20 PM
All Quiet on the Western Front
Howl's Moving Castle
Flipped
A series of Unfortunate Events
anything by Diana Wyne Jones
sorry i can't remember the authors.... the firts one is german, the second is by Diana Wyne Jones, the third i have no clue, and the last by Lemony snicket.... strange man...
Dude Love 06-26-2006 01:43 AM
If you're looking for political/worldly perspective, I'd recommend the last two books I read: The Future of Freedom by Fareed Zakaria and Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. Regardless of your political opinions, it is always good to be informed about the issues discussed in these books.

Confessions also reads like a novel, so it's quick and easy. Less so for The Future of Freedom.