Why the US FMA site might be down

Instro 01-18-2005 10:52 AM
Since FMA began its run on AS, I have checked into Funimation's FMA web site at least once a day. But lately, I have logged on to be greeted by an annnoying 404 File Not Found message.

I think I may have deduced why this is so...I just happened to see on the Anime News Network site yesterday that the Funimation studios have just been acquired by a company called Navarre Corp. for $150 milllion.

Therefore, it's entirely plausible to accept that Navarre has halted activity on all of the Funimation web sites until they retool things the way they want to represent their corporate identity. (I haven't tried looking at other Funimation sites like Case Closed or Dragonball, but if you are fans of those too, you might want to check them out and see if they still work.)

The blank 404 page is hardly what I would call "equivalent exchange." The courteous and PR thing to do would have been to put up a page that said something like: "The Fullmetal Alchemist web site is undergoing a renovation to better serve its fans. Please excuse our dust and stay tuned..."

In any case, let's hope they get the site back up soon. Checking out the Japanese FMA sites is fine, but not even BabelFish can handle the translation every time.
Green_Bird 01-18-2005 11:58 AM
Uh....works for me....

http://www.fullmetalalchemist.com/

Do you have flash? because the site's in flash now....
Ano Hito 01-18-2005 04:49 PM
Doesn't work for me either.

FUNi got bought?

I'm worried now. FUNi just recently came of age, so to speak, and this might be a setback.
Madrona 01-18-2005 05:54 PM
hmm, seems to work for me.

In fact the WMA preview ( for the current season) also seems to work just fine. As does everything else I've tried.

Interesting news about FUNimation though.

EDIT:

Here is the link to the Navarre Corp. . Their profile is very interesting.

Madrona
Asirt 01-18-2005 06:02 PM
Yeah. The FMA site seems to work fine at my computer. If you don't have the latest version of Flash, however, you will get the 404 error (tried to view the site at a mac in school). Nice site, by the way. The FMA Flash game is pretty fun also.
Instro 01-18-2005 11:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
Yeah. The FMA site seems to work fine at my computer. If you don't have the lastest version of Flash, however, you will get the 404 error (tried to view the site at a mac in school). Nice site, by the way. The FMA Flash game is pretty fun also. Smile

Later,
Trisa

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. As Trisa pointed out: 1) I need the lastest version of Flash...to the Macromedia web site I go... and 2) My home computer is an iMac.

I'll get the Flash fixed and write back when I get it to work.

I 'm back, got it to work on a Mac, hooray!

If you can't see the FMA web site and you're on a Mac, here's what to do:

1) Make sure you have at least OS X, version 10.1 This new site doesn't seem to work on the classic Mac OS.

2) Go to the Macromedia web site and download the Flash player.

3) As the downloading is taking place, OSX will automatically open Apple's browser, Safari. It appears that not only do you need the latest version of Flash but you can only see the FMA web site on a Mac through Safari. I have already had this experience with several web sites on a Mac. (I think it's Apple's way of squeezing out Internet Explorer where they can.) I guess I 'll be using Safari for browsing more and more as time goes on.

The FMA web site is great and definitely a visual improvement, all the right kinds of eye candy. It's worth getting excited about.