Episode 10 Discussion: "The Phantom Theif"

nathjan 01-15-2005 10:55 PM
6 Minutes to go and no thread yet so here you guys go, have fun watching i have to wait 3 more hours.
Shredder 01-15-2005 10:56 PM
Hi, everyone, it's almost time for episode 10 of FMA! I hope everyone continues to stick with the show, it's really a great series!

The flashback eps are over and we're back to the events occuring after Lior (the first 2 eps with Cornello). Ed is now 15 and Al 14. Enjoy the show! Smile )

Sorry about the double thread- looks like we posted at the same time, so they've been merged.
nathjan 01-15-2005 10:59 PM
thanks Shredder was going to ask if you could merge the threads together. FMA Rules!
Raven 01-15-2005 11:29 PM
Excellt episode, I really enjoyed the Phsyren (Sp?) character. It was great how she kept leading them on with her different professions and then how she escaped the police at the end. Do you know if she comes back in any later episodes?
Green_Bird 01-16-2005 12:06 AM
It was funny....though it was kind of funny when they found out that she was egging them on like that...I mean after they found out she wasn't doing it for the hospital or the convent. Their faces, and Al trying to deny it and find ways around what accualy happend.

Didn't this kind of play out like Lupin, I mean with the kind of dumb detective guy trying to catch her and stuff, and then she was in all those disguises, and then she ends up getting away in the end due to idiots on the police force....I don't know...that's just what I though. I mean just with a female verson of him, and Ed, Al, and the whole alchmy thing. Think about it.

Was it just me, but her teacher get up looked like Cher from WR. Oh well like that guy with the Jet beard last episode, all to do with BONES.
dominusofdeath 01-16-2005 12:06 AM
I liked it. Need I explain why? Pleased Wink
Instro 01-16-2005 12:08 AM
Is it me or were there some visual homages to Lupin III and Please Teacher in this episode? The detective looks like a more attractive Zenigata and one of Siren's guises looked like the teacher in Please Teacher.
Green_Bird 01-16-2005 12:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Instro
Is it me or were there some visual homages to Lupin III and Please Teacher in this episode? The detective looks like a more attractive Zenigata and one of Siren's guises looked like the teacher in Please Teacher.

Now you see where I was getting at. Also what she did to break free., finding some way to take advantage of idiot cops.....and is free to steal another day. It was just a female verson of him like I said. Think about it...
evanASF27 01-16-2005 01:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Instro

ZENIGATA?!?!?!

WHAT!? I gotta see that again...

Though what I DID see, was interesting. A nice twist at the end indeed. Big Grin

*edit*
HOLY CRAP IT IS ZENIGATA!!! Shocked
Raven 01-16-2005 05:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath
I liked it. Need I explain why? Pleased Wink

Yes. Please do.
Sephiroth 01-16-2005 10:26 AM
That was a really good episode. Siren was a cool character, and her water alchemy was cool. Also, that detective was amazingly similiar to Zenigata, I guess it was an homage to Lupin III. Also, is it just me or does Ed have an eating problem? I mean did you see how many bowls of food were sitting in fron of him? I'm just glad we are back in the time period we started in and can finally move forward with the story, I'm pretty sure
spoiler (highlight to read):
the 7 deadly sins will be appearing again soon, at least Lust will be
which will make me insanely happy. All in all I thought it was a good episode.
Instro 01-16-2005 11:33 AM
(Giggle)

Yea, I was actually thinking of you when I made that post.

I immediately thought, "That evan guy on the PC boards is just going to eat this up!"
Instro 01-16-2005 11:36 AM
Yeah, I totally agree with you.

In fact, I think Siren is a combination of Lupin and Fujiko.

Ed is such a sweetie... even when dealing with crafty Ms. Siren, he was no fool but still a gentleman. Smile
COHugh 01-16-2005 05:26 PM
I was thinking "Evan is going to flip when he sees this" last night as well. Big Grin The Zenigata-clone was pretty obvious, but all-in-all it was a great episode! Smile
Ano Hito 01-16-2005 07:55 PM
As was said earlier by everyone else, I saw the cop and the first thing I think is "Zenigata!" I wish he'd been more over the top though.

The world loves Lupin...
Madrona 01-16-2005 11:46 PM
As soon as Al used alchemy to fix the plate and apple at the hospital, I was sure she was Siren. Just the look she gave him....

I found it amusing when Ed had Siren pinned down, then discovered where his hand was. Shocked He wasn't really expecting that was he? Big Grin But lets not forget, he's a 15 year old man/child. While he may not have found that unpleasant, I don't think he's overly interested in that stuff yet. He didn't think the "nurse" was anything like his mother( unlike Al) and he never go taken in by her stories.

Was this the beginning of a crush for Al or just a longing for his mother? Or maybe both? There he is with no body and the beginnings of feelings for someone. And there is Ed with a body..for the most part...and no feelings that way whatsoever. Well, that we've seen anyway.

As for when Siren is being taken away and is talking to Ed...is she propositioning him for the future? Sure, he's only 15 but....apparently she can see him as an interesting man in the future. I don't know. Am I reading too much into this? I don't think so. Wink

And now we are back on track, looking for the philosopher's stone. Another great episode.

Madrona
Instro 01-17-2005 12:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Madrona

I found it amusing when Ed had Siren pinned down, then discovered where his hand was. Shocked He wasn't really expecting that was he? Big Grin But lets not forget, he's a 15 year old man/child. While he may not have found that unpleasant, I don't think he's overly interested in that stuff yet. He didn't think the "nurse" was anything like his mother( unlike Al) and he never go taken in by her stories.

As for when Siren is being taken away and is talking to Ed...is she propositioning him for the future? Sure, he's only 15 but....apparently she can see him as an interesting man in the future. I don't know. Am I reading too much into this? I don't think so. Wink

Madrona

I am sure that at the ripe old age of 15 that Ed is plenty interested in girls, he just hasn't had the time to be a normal teen. He's been too busy saving the world! I do look forward to an episode where Ed has the opportunity to fall in love and have it reciprocated. It will give him some hope that he desperately needs. Smile

I have thought, however, that if Ed gets a real girlfriend before they get their bodies restored, it could really crush Al. Even though he has no body right now, the envy of such an occurence could drive him to tears. Then again, he does wish the best for Ed in every way as evidenced in the episode "Chimera's Cry." Remember how he teased Ed about having a thing for Winry? (I think Al has a thing for Winry too!)

I have noticed on other FMA sites that there are a lot of Ed/Winry "shippers." Maybe that will happen, maybe it won't. Right now, I think they need their "brother/sister" relationship to keep them focused and sane.

As for Siren, while the sexual tension was cheeky good fun for us viewers, her words and suggestions to Ed bordered somewhat on the pedophilic. (Major yuck.) Fortunately, our man Ed saw Siren for what she was and didn't seem to let her salacious statements sink in.
Jane 01-17-2005 12:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Instro As for Siren, while the sexual tension was cheeky good fun for us viewers, her words and suggestions to Ed bordered somewhat on the pedophilic. (Major yuck.) Fortunately, our man Ed saw Siren for what she was and didn't seem to let her salacious statements sink in.

Yeah, I thought that was kind of gross. I knew the nurse was Siren the moment they introduced her why else would they introduce her. So I'm glad they didn't keep us in the dark about it too long.

I thought it was funny how she kept taking in poor, innocent, idealistic Al, and how Ed went along with it so as not to crush his little brother's faith in her. I also like how they left it kind of ambiguous at the end. Was she really stealing to help her city? Probably not, but it leaves Al with something.

I also like how the first two episodes let us see Ed and Al from a stranger's perspective, and now that we've come back after seeing their history, we see their arrival in town from their perspective.

And Ed is only 15 years old. Why does he get so mad when people think he's a kid? He is. I guess he's just a kid who wants do grow up too fast, or has been forced too grow up too fast and wishes his body would catch up? Or... he's just 15.
The Fallen Phoenix 01-17-2005 01:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jane
And Ed is only 15 years old. Why does he get so mad when people think he's a kid? He is. I guess he's just a kid who wants do grow up too fast, or has been forced too grow up too fast and wishes his body would catch up? Or... he's just 15.

This is the same issue I have with people who judge by age, so I can kind of relate to Ed. The fact of the matter is, people too often equate age with maturity and life experience, when it is actually a horrible barometer. Truth is, Ed and Al have both seen and witnessed things most adults probably would not witness in a lifetime, and while Ed acts very childish at times, it's clear he has reached some level of maturity.

He resents, then, that people will assume that just because he's young, he is automatically an immature and incapable person. Personally, I think his grievences are very well justified. Age is just an arbitrary number; it's really meaningless at the end of the day.

It's a shame too many people still have yet to realize that, and even sadder that some still live up (or down) to the stereotypical expectations of their "age group."

---
Oh, by the way Instro, try to avoid double posting in the future, as that's against the forum rules. If you find the need to add something to your last post after you post it, just use the edit button and edit it in. Smile It's actually a pretty handy tool, that button. Big Grin
Instro 01-17-2005 10:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
[quote]Originally posted by Jane

Oh, by the way Instro, try to avoid double posting in the future, as that's against the forum rules. If you find the need to add something to your last post after you post it, just use the edit button and edit it in. Smile It's actually a pretty handy tool, that button. Big Grin

Sorry about that. I really do try to make an effort not to double post, I do know dem's the rules. Above where it appears I double posted I was actually responding to two different people. I realize now what I should have done was include the quote I was responding to make it more obvious.

So, there's my real faux pas: I am quite adept at using the edit button, I edit my posts quite often actually, I just have to use the quote button more. Even after 90 plus posts, I am still learning how to be a seasoned user of forums like this.