Appleseed: The Movie

Avenir 01-10-2005 04:43 AM
There were two older threads for this, but I didn't resuscitate one because neither contained any useful information.

Appleseed was written by Shirow Masamune (creator of the Ghost in the Shell series) sometime in the mid to late 1980's.

In April 2004, a CGI feature film of Appleseed was released in Japanese theaters. Now, the time for the US release has come. On January 14, 2005, it will debut in theaters located in major cites such as New York, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Chicago, IL; San Francisco, CA; Philadelphia, PA; and Miami, FL.

More information can be found at the official US website, www.appleseedthemovie.com.
dominusofdeath 01-10-2005 04:36 PM
The original Appleseed is one of my favorite movies. I really enjoyed it.
Buck Buck #1 01-10-2005 07:05 PM
I saw the trailer the other day, and personally I'd rather just see the original. I don't really like CGI driven anime that much. It does look interesting though.
Hobodoken 01-10-2005 08:10 PM
WTF???

DC gets left out of everything...
Boar 01-13-2005 06:59 PM
Hi guys and girls

Please watch the new Appleseed even if you already watched the old one. The story are totally different.

The new movie is more like a Introduction for the 2 main characters as to how they join the Special Police force. Also offer more to their personal background, and their relationship.

The original movie was very good, this new is also a must get ^^

cheers

Boar
Madrona 01-13-2005 07:19 PM
Whoo Hoo It's showing at the Saratoga 14. That is so near my house. Mabye I could go see it after my anime viewing class. ( Yes, I have a class in watching Japanese anime, doesn't that kick ass?). Might be a bit late, but it's possible. hmmm.

We'll see.

BTW, their listings make no sense whatsoever. Eh, you'll figure it out.

Madrona
Boar 01-13-2005 07:39 PM
Hi Madrona

Australia is pretty good we already got DVD for the movie ^^
However its strongly recommended to see it in a theatre!

Great animation aciton.

Enjoy

^^
Barrin 01-16-2005 10:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken
WTF???

DC gets left out of everything...

You still get more stuff than North Dakota. The only way I get to see these movies is to buy the DVDs. Frown Maybe things will improve. The city's doubling it's movie theatres, breaking the monopoly and some of the monotany.
Mike 05-31-2005 06:40 PM
Yay, old thread revival time!

I picked up this DVD yesterday. I have to say, I really liked this movie. I didn't realize that this is techincally a remake since there was a movie called Appleseed in 1988.

I thought the CG looked good, a lot better than say, Blue Sub 6.
StevieV019 06-01-2005 07:57 AM
Yeah...I picked up the DVD about a week and a half ago...great looking stuff...good soundtrack too. Picked that up as well. The animation is beautiful...I guess things are really growing by leaps and bounds. The action in the film is grand as well. Good stuff...Id recommend it due to the quality of animation, music, and the insane action that goes down. As for the story, well thats up for you to decide...
Barrin 06-02-2005 04:20 PM
I just watched Appleseed last night, and it ROCKED! The CGI was some of the best I had ever seen. The machines looked really great, as did their efforts on water. Seeing the people move and talk felt a little weird at times, but I grew to accept it. The story is ranked among the top end of action movies, but near average for sci-fi films. Action: top notch. Every time I thought the movie was done, they threw something else at me. Could've skipped some of the instant replays, but most were OK. Voice acting: Average for a movie. My analysis: Good for action, sci-fi, and anime fans. I wouldn't mind seeing more movies similar to this.

BTW, did anyone see cross-references with GitS? I did a few times, and GitS: SAC had some mecha crossovers as well.
BethMcBeth 06-02-2005 04:54 PM
I have it on DVD and honstely I was dissapointed I mean the animation is nice and all and the graphics are really crisp but the plot was very weak if that. If you asked me they decided to pump out a action movie and then try to make it anime. Iam glad I only spent $4.00 to get it.

-Beth
Nine Kuze 01-30-2007 12:11 PM
*Bringin' it back*

I saw the movie a while ago and even though it was from the creator of the original Ghost in the Shell manga, the movie itself was alright (my thing was, I was expecting too much of GITS in it and that kind of hampered it for me).

Like the others have said, the visual effects in the movie are damn good and that's the best part of the movie. The plot is kind of used-up (living in a corrupt etoupia with androids, save the world before soandso destorys it) and just cruises its way towards the middle where it gets really interesting.

Also I didn't know that there was a movie back in '88 with the same title as well and this version is basically a remake. Still alright nonetheless.
Peace.