Kingdom of Heaven

Almasy 01-06-2005 03:29 PM
"Kingdom of Heaven"

"During the Crusades of the 12th Century,
Balian of Ibelin, a young blacksmith in Jerusalem,
rises to protect his people from foreign invaders."

I know it must sound like I say this about all movies (then again...I only start threads about movies I'm interested in) but...I think this movie looks really good! ^__^

The trailer is really nicely done:
Trailer

Cast:

- Orlando Bloom as Balian of Ibelin "You are a princess, and I am no lord. You have my love, and my answer."
- Eva Green as Sybilla "I offer you the world."
- Liam Neeson as Godfrey of Ibelin "Defend Jerusalem; that is your oath."
- Jeremy Irons as Tiberias "The king has no need of a perfect knight."
Zopwx2 01-06-2005 04:42 PM
Since its directed by Ridley Scott who did Gladiator, I'm expecting just a standard historical epic with good battle scenes. And this sure looks like its going to be interesting with the crusades and all.

interesting he releasing a Christian Vs. Muslim movie now, esepcially since the Muslims generally won the crusades... and I hope they don't make it too rascist.

Either way it should be cool.
Mr. Peabody 01-06-2005 05:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]
Since its directed by Ridley Scott who did Gladiator, I'm expecting just a standard historical epic with good battle scenes. And this sure looks like its going to be interesting with the crusades and all.

interesting he releasing a Christian Vs. Muslim movie now, esepcially since the Muslims generally won the crusades... and I hope they don't make it too rascist.

There might be some hatred shown from both sides in the film, but I don't think it will be heavily racist.

The Muslim Sultan Saladin appears in the film, and he was greatly respected by the Crusaders. In contrast, the Muslim warriors respected the Knights Templar for their courage and protection of the Christian pilgrims to Jerusalem.
Almasy 01-06-2005 11:24 PM
Smile I took a bunch of screenshots from the trailer:

Zopwx2 01-06-2005 11:59 PM
aww no pictures of Saladin? Wink

Nice job.
BethMcBeth 01-07-2005 12:25 AM
Oh wow! That actually does look good! Neat-o! Awsome job with the pics too! Thanks Almasy! ^_^""
David Ryder 02-18-2005 05:35 PM
I for one and most def. looking forward too this movie, I like anything with Knights and the Crusades. Plus Mr. Scott is directing it, so I do belive it will be very good.
Almasy 04-16-2005 09:40 PM
There have been a few trailers released for Kingdom of Heaven.

Today, the "Theatrical Trailer" (and probably the final trailer) was put up online.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/kingdom_of_heaven/theatrical_menu.html
Captain Maw 04-16-2005 09:42 PM
yeah, i saw one of the trailers on TV. i might or might not see it. i don't really get exactly how many cool battles and/or cool fight scenes there will be while still having a good plot. (which sounds pretty good)
Zopwx2 04-16-2005 11:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
yeah, i saw one of the trailers on TV. i might or might not see it. i don't really get exactly how many cool battles and/or cool fight scenes there will be while still having a good plot. (which sounds pretty good)

It is Ridley Scott and its got some big names in it, so it can't be all that bad.

The Dude who made gladiator can certainly repeat his formula here.

Although I'm a little more concerned with the historical accuracy in this film than in the last. I hope its not too "White guys own the the evil foriegners". Especially since it was almost closer to the opposite in real life.
TanookiJoe 04-17-2005 09:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Although I'm a little more concerned with the historical accuracy in this film than in the last. I hope its not too "White guys own the the evil foriegners". Especially since it was almost closer to the opposite in real life.

Well, Gladiator wasn't that historically accurate. Tongue

And it was pretty much the opposite in real life. Of course, if this was the 12th century, the European countries would have been established in the Levant already, so it's a bit complicated. Of course, the crusades wasn't just Muslims vs. Christians: the Middle East still had large populations of Christians, and the native Christians absolutely hated the European invaders, who replaced the open, tolerant society of the Muslim Middle Ages with the oppressive, heirarchical feudal society of Western Europe.
Zopwx2 04-18-2005 05:50 PM
quote:
Director Ridley Scott has been praised for challenging the post 9/11 demonization of the Muslim religion and warfare in his latest movie Kingdom Of Heaven. The controversial film depicts a 12th century Muslim-Christian battle for Jerusalem during the Third Crusade - and is set to cast aside stereotypical views of Muslims and show the benefits of diplomacy over war in resolving Middle Eastern crises. Historians have praised the accurate character portrayals - in particular that of Muslim leader Saladin, played by Syrian actor Ghassan Massoud. Muslim scholar Hamid Dabashi says, "There are a few inaccuracies, in that he has probably made Saladin look too heroic. Saladin was always respected more by Christians than Muslims, and would show mercy to those who could afford to pay him. But this is a film that tries to deal as accurately as possible with the difficult issues of religion and warfare of the time. Muslims have nothing to fear." The film, shot in Morocco and Spain, hits screens next month.
Buck Buck #1 04-18-2005 05:59 PM
Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see it.
Travis Bickle 04-18-2005 06:18 PM
Ridley Scott is making an honest to Ford historically accurate movie?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yeah, I saw the trailer a while back. Looks...ok. Like a generic blockbuster Hollywood movie.

I don't care what people say. Blade Runner will always be his best.
Mr. Peabody 05-06-2005 10:28 PM
I saw Kingdom of Heaven and I enjoyed the film. It has a great balance of history and entertainment and its Academy Award material.

Orlando Bloom gives a good performance as Balian of Ibelin, a young blacksmith turned knight who finds himself guardian of the city of Jerusalem.

The other notable performance is from Ghassan Massoud as Saladin. Massoud's performance follows everything I've ever read about the sultan: a noble warrior determined to recapture the city lost to Muslims a generation ago, who respects the faith of his enemy, and adheres to the rules of war better than most Crusaders.

Also staring is Jeremy Irons as Tiberias, leader of the Jerusalem Knights. Eva Green, as Princess Sybilla of Jerusalem, and Bloom's love interest. And Edward Norton as King Baldwin IV, the king of Jerusalem who's dying of leprosy.

The siege and battle for Jerusalem is the highlight of the movie. Muslim trebuchets bombard the city day and night with flaming missles and their siege towers are pushed to the walls as the Christian defenders put up a valiant resistance under Balian's leadership.

A parley is called and Balian and Saladin meet outside the city walls.

"What is Jerusalem worth?" Balian asks.

Saladin replies. "Nothing...Everything."

I admit that I feared the Crusaders would be portrayed as ignorant, bloodthirsty muderers. While some of them take part in these deplorable acts, I'm glad the film showcased Crusaders like Balian and Tiberias, who adhered to Christianity and the code of chivalry.

People may not embrace Kingdom of Heaven like they did Gladiator, but it just might earn Ridley Scott another Oscar.
Almasy 05-17-2005 09:50 AM
I forgot to mention that I went to see Kingdom of Heaven about a week ago. It was pretty good. There were lots of parts I liked, and some things I didn't. The main complaint I had is that there were only like two or three locations in the entire movie. Now, I know history shouldn't be rewritten just for movies, and that in this particular story it probably did only happen in a few locations, but a bit of a variety would have been nice.

Overall it was a solid movie, and I'm gonna be seeing it again tomorrow I think.

To compare it to similar movies, the following list shows which movies I enjoyed more / thought were better [#1 being my favorite(s) and #3 being my least favorite]

1. 'Alexander' (w/ Colin Farrel) & 'Gladiator' (w/ Russel Crow)
2. 'Kingdom of Heaven' (w/ Orlando Bloom) & 'Troy' (w/ Brad Pitt)
3. 'King Arthur' (w/ Clive Owen)

The reason I liked 'Alexander' best out of all of them is because it was such a visually impressive movie, with rich/bright/intense colors, amazingly detailed/lavish sets and costumes, interesting characters, lots of dramatic situations between characters/lots of dialogue between characters, which I love, and lots of emotion, as well as larger-than-life intense battle scenes. Kingdom of Heaven was mostly action, which was great, but I'm more of a character-interactions kind of person.

One thing I felt was missing from 'Kingdom of Heaven' is that there weren't really any parts that made me cry/want to cry. The only scene that came close was when Sybilla was talking to her brother for the last time before he died. But, yeah, Alexander/Gladiator both made me cry at times, which I like. I love it when a movie of such epic proportions can become so emotional at times that it makes me cry. Kingdom of Heaven, like I said, seemed to just be mostly action/battle scenes/fighting most of the time...which normally I wouldn't have a problem with, if it had been intersperced with more emotion.