Episode 8 Discussion: "The Philosopher's Stone"

nathjan 01-01-2005 10:24 PM
Well only 35 more minutes till this episode airs on the East Coast, so heres the thread since neither Krang or Shredder have made a thread yet.

just a reminder that a lot of what you see in these early episodes is relevant later.
Shredder 01-01-2005 10:37 PM
Hey, thanks for starting the topic! We had a week off, but tonight's is a good one. I'll try to keep these short, so as not to spoil anything and to give everyone the chance to experience the eps themselves. Enjoy!
dominusofdeath 01-01-2005 11:14 PM
spoiler (highlight to read):
I think the meat truck lady is the killer. Then again...I'm an idiot......

EDIT: SO it was a man. And this is when Barry comes.......
evanASF27 01-01-2005 11:34 PM
well I missed all but the last 5 minutes O_o;;; I gotta stay up and tape it now -___-;;;
Wingnut 01-02-2005 12:18 AM
For being titled The Philosopher's Stone they sure didn't talk about the stone itself much. Also of note was that we see exactly how Ed gets the title of "Full Metal".
Hobodoken 01-02-2005 01:09 AM
I thought it was the truck person the moment Winry got into the truck...
*sigh*
Damn psycho killers,giving the rest of us crazies a bad name.
Shredder 01-02-2005 02:20 AM
Just so you know, in the Japanese version, the truck lady Barry sounds like a woman, so it's not as obvious so early. In the Funi one, you could tell it was a man from the beginning.
evanASF27 01-02-2005 02:57 AM
yah....that was a crazy episode...
Dominus Excelsior 01-02-2005 08:21 AM
That was a pretty sick episode. The girl hanging from the meat hook... ::shudder:: I knew it was the truck lady from the start.

And I agree, for calling the episode "The Philosopher's Stone" they don't mention it much.
Madrona 01-02-2005 01:06 PM
As soon as the truck "lady" started asking about the murders, I knew. When Winry was interested in the truck then both my husband and I understood what was going on.

On a lighter note, when Hughes keeps trying to snag some of Ed's meal and he keeps taking it back, you begin to see how well he can multitask. He's a growing boy and he wants his food!

As for the "Full Metal" part of Ed's name....not only does the King have a sense of humor, so does Ed.

How long is Winry going to be in Central I wonder?

Madrona
Green_Bird 01-02-2005 02:49 PM
All I have to say is....I will never look at and hear "Detective Conan" the same way again (If you know what I mean) . I do belive that it was kind of ovious that....well...
she was accualy a he.
. But Still it was a good episode.

But Hughes stealing Ed's food and him grabing it out of his hand was funny ^_^ .....
Zopwx2 01-02-2005 03:00 PM
The second that meat truck lady started talking in the man voice, I already thought.. "she (he) is the killer and she (he) is going after that girl... "

Now we know what set them out too look for the philosophers stone, and they just expanded upon all the ethical implications of being a state alchemist including the stuff they have to do at war, the corruption they deal with, etc.

Also I'm just sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for the inevitable confrontation with tatoo arm dude.

Oh I liked how they gave alphonse a little more independance and expanded his personallity past "okay brother".
angelcakes 01-02-2005 05:08 PM
I recall seeing the truck...and starting yelling at the TV, for Winry not to get in the van. It screamed, 'Bad idea.' Specially when the "woman" was a bit suspicious.

This episode, was quite powerful. With all his special talents and everything he's been through, you almost start to forget Ed's still a child. This episode really reminded us of that.

The killer actually scared me a lot. He killed for nothing other than his own pleasure. What scared me was the fact that someone like that could actually pop-up. *shiver*

The fact they were able to capture the human emotion of pure terror so was very impressive. It made me like the series even more Smile )
evanASF27 01-02-2005 05:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]
The second that meat truck lady started talking in the man voice, I already thought.. "she (he) is the killer and she (he) is going after that girl... "

also the pan of the girl...which stopped half way...was pretty much a dead give away (along with the crappy voice).
Buck Buck #1 01-02-2005 08:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Just so you know, in the Japanese version, the truck lady Barry sounds like a woman, so it's not as obvious so early. In the Funi one, you could tell it was a man from the beginning.

I noticed that too. I've been watching the Japanese ones at my friend's house. I thought that the part in the meat locker was really freaky.
COHugh 01-02-2005 08:30 PM
Like some of you here, I knew that the "delivery girl" was the killer the instant "she" appeared on-camera. I'm glad Winry is there for Ed and I hope we get to see some more character/relationship development between those two in the next few episodes.

I think the episode title is most appropriate despite its small role in this episode. The stone is the whole reason Ed has decided to stick with the State. He tolerates the State's obvious flaws and out-right injustices all so he can protect/restore his little brother and himself. During the entire ep, Al is trying to convince Ed to remain with the state because deep down he wants to be "human" again.

It makes me wonder if, in a future episode, we'll get to see how far Ed and Al are willing to go in order to get the stone. Are they willing to sacrifice others for it?

I love this show!!! Crying
BabyGhia 01-03-2005 02:12 PM
Actually a lot happened in this episode. We learned who was the serial killer, what the Philosopher's Stone does exactly and some of the mystery around it, how Ed got his name of Full Metal, etc.

Great episode. Great show. Really enjoying it. Can't wait until next week! Big Grin

BabyGhia
darktacy 01-04-2005 08:30 AM
i liked this week's episode... though i still don't understand some of the series. ^^ im just happy i caught it. i almost missed it
Sephiroth 01-04-2005 09:38 PM
I thought that episode was pretty good. It was very different from the manga, as it never shows what Barry looks like, and he never attempts to kill Winry in it. I think it did a good job of showing that despite Ed and Al's abilities, they are still only children, and unable to do everything. Also, having read the manga, I knew right away that the woman had to be connected to the killings, because her truck had Barry written on the side of it, even though I didn't realize she was a man.
Barrin 01-06-2005 11:12 AM
When I saw the delivery truck, I somehow automatically knew it was the murderer's truck, that it could hold a body and refrigerate it so the time-of-death would be thrown off. After seeing the delivery person speak and see 'her' look over Windry, I knew the culpret. However, I must admit I was clueless about the gender. Maybe I was working on food or something, I just didn't think too much about 'her.' Roll Eyes