Musicals?

Benjamin 12-25-2004 08:08 AM
Do you Like musicals?

I personally don't because all of the singing is cutting out the movie, the one acception to this is Grease, XD I couldn't stop laughing through the movie, so I really didn't care, but most of the other musicals I don't like, though they aren't really around anymore, what are your oppinoins?
pen1300 12-25-2004 07:06 PM
I personally like musicals and so far I'm the only person who voted 'yes.' (I'm the only person to have voted at all).

Musicals are fun and after having been part of a musical production, I believe I have more enjoyment for them (if they are REALLY well done: I.e. didn't like the first version of Oklahoma but the one with Hugh Jackman, :droolSmile . Besides, musicals give you something to sing to all the time besides the popular music out there.

I don't know. I mean, musicals have good story lines often and it's interesting to watch the story with people singing to it.

Later,
Pen1300
Almasy 12-26-2004 11:20 AM
I think it DEFINITELY depends on the musical. I really liked Moulin Rouge and Phantom of the Opera! ^_^
Dude Love 12-26-2004 11:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
(if they are REALLY well done: I.e. didn't like the first version of Oklahoma but the one with Hugh Jackman, :droolSmile

Heh, an art teacher at my school was in the original Oklahoma Tongue . I've been meaning to pick it up somewhere and look for her in it.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan for musicals. I've never been able to get into them. However, I do like the beginning of West Side Story Big Grin .
Lady Tesser 12-26-2004 02:30 PM
Raised on them. My first memories are Mary Poppins, Annie, American Wedding, and Holiday Inn.

It's purely a suspension of disbelief when watching musicals, especially movie musicals. A lot of the movie musicals were produced during the Depression and the big movies were expected to be nothing but escapism from the harshness and sadness of the era.

Musicals are an expression of emotion, escapism, and creativity of both composer and performer. It is an Art Form, just like animation is an Art Form and special effects are an Art Form - a means to tell a story. No, there is NO realism in musicals ... look at how bright the costumes are, for Gods' sakes! Musicals aren't meant to be Real, it's meant to be Fantasy.

The base line of musicals are to produce reactions - humor, joy, sadness, regret. Such hard-hitting productions like 'Miss Saigon' and 'Les Miserables' produce gut-wrenchingly portraits of raw emotion. While 'Sweeney Todd' focuses on social commentary disguised as black humor, and 'The Phantom of the Opera' takes it purely for art's sake in epic degrees.

Stories we've known since childhood - 'Wicked' (Wizard of Oz) and 'Into the Woods' (fairy tales) - comment and think upon the motives and emotions of those stoic characters, focusing on them as human beings and allowing us to sympathize with them. A song/solo is just as intimate as a monologue, allowing the audience to see within the mind and soul of the character.

It's what makes entertainment.

(<--- Minored in musical theatre while at a performing arts high school.)
Tifaria 12-26-2004 02:48 PM
I love musicals. I grew up watching an overdose of Disney movies-- I had a friend who had literally every Disney movie ever made on video, and we'd have a sleepover nearly every weekend and stay up late performing parts out of the movies as we watched them. We used to fight over whose turn it was to be Ariel. Big Grin

I also performed in and did crew work for a lot of musicals while I was in high school, and that definitely heightened my appreciation for them. There's a LOT of hard work that goes into these things! One day I'd love to do set or costumes designs for one.
BethMcBeth 12-27-2004 05:44 PM
I think muscials are alright they can be cool I really liked cats (go fig.. yeah I was like wee small when I saw it so yeah) and I beleive the other oh yes iI was in London i saw one called Blood Brothers I thought it wa cool and the songs are also moving too. I think mucscials overall are alright and stuff. ^_~""
A Clockwork Tomato 12-27-2004 06:56 PM
I prefer being in them to watching them! My high school put on a musical every year. Eventually they got a dual affiliation -- high school and community college -- so you could get college credit for being in the musical. We did THE MUSIC MAN and GODSPELL and HELLO DOLLY when I was in high school (they skipped one year, sigh).

I did stage lighting and stage management, mostly, though I also acted in some productions.
pen1300 12-27-2004 10:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tifaria
I love musicals. I grew up watching an overdose of Disney movies-- I had a friend who had literally every Disney movie ever made on video, and we'd have a sleepover nearly every weekend and stay up late performing parts out of the movies as we watched them. We used to fight over whose turn it was to be Ariel. Big Grin

I didn't even THINK of Disney as I typed my reply! Gosh, my mom wanted to kill the Mary Popins tape we had. I used to know those songs BY HEART! (I was supposed to get it for Christmas, but timing and lack of money on mom's part). "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down!" "Supercalafragalisticispealodocious!" (Mom still has to help me say it right and I know I didn't spell it rightt. Tongue ) And I loved watching Disney cartoons.Big Grin

Actually, it wasn't until I watched My Fair Lady that I noticed I liked musicals. I mean, sure, West Side Story was cool and oh, I love Gilbert and Sullivan, but I never really thought to call them musicals. (Well, G&S are operettas, and I think I spelled that wrong).

I've always liked musicals and I really haven't found any I DON'T like. Sweet Smell of Success when John Lithgow did it was so-so, but I enjoyed watching it. (I know, it's Broadway). The only musical I really find horrible is the TV version of "The Christmas Carol: A Musical." I saw it live at Madison Square Garden and I wasn't sure of it then. The live show def. blew the TV one away. My roommate and I tried to compare it to what we remember seeing. We couldn't watch it.

None the less, I really enjoy musicals (as I stated before). It's a shame they don't do more for the Big Screen. Moulin Rouge was great, and I'm certain Chicago will be great (when I watch it, I love the soundtrack). Also, Phatom of the Opera should be good, if I ever see it. I have to see what my one friend thought of it.

Later,
Pen1300
Spooky 12-27-2004 11:28 PM
I love musicals! I grew up loving them though, and siging to them. At one point, I owned more musical soundtracks than any other genre of music Embarrassed Sweatdrop

However, I prefer stage productions to movies though. While there have been a whole host of wonderful movie musicals (and Moulin Rouge, The Little Mermaid, Chicago, Beauty & the Beast are some of my all-time faves), I think some productions should be left soley on the stage (Phantom of the Opera...however I'll post that rant in the PtO thread Tongue )

Laughing In short, yay for musicals! While I know they're not for everyone, I've grown up loving them!

Latah Wink
Token
Zola 12-27-2004 11:30 PM
The old Hollywood musicals have always been one of my guilty pleasures--if the late movie was a musical, I would be there watching it. A lot of them were *really* good, like Showboat... Finian's Rainbow...

*walks off humming "Old Devil Moon*
Gummibear 12-28-2004 12:41 PM
Musicals are my life! Well not really but I think Musicals are my favorite movie genre. Something about watching a good musical is magical! I love going to broadway ( every once in a great while) musicals cast a spell over me!
Alana Gabriel 01-08-2005 09:05 PM
I really like musicals, especially Singing in the Rain, The Music Man (the one with Shirley Jones, Robert Preston, and Buddy Hackett. Not the one with Mathew Broderick, Kristin Chenoweth, and David Aaron Baker.) and Guys and Dolls. However, I do NOT like Hello Dolly. Ick!
harshfire 01-11-2005 12:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Almasy
I think it DEFINITELY depends on the musical. I really liked Moulin Rouge and Phantom of the Opera! ^_^

Ooh, I like Phantom of the Opera. <_< >_> (Sorry, stating the obvious again...) I guess it depends on the musical. I kind of liked Music Man, and I absolutly love the Phantom of the Opera, so yeah. But others I didn't really like too much. But it depends. I'm not so sure on whether I like the stages or the movie better. I enjoyed both on POTO, but I dunno for Music Man.

Later days:
JA
Dork 01-16-2005 10:21 PM
The musical is a true american genre. It was created in america in the vaudeville circuit and aside from a very few exceptions no other country has been able to create a genre with any success. In it's hayday the musical was the anime and manga of it's day. The musical is one of those few things that make me proud to be an american.

So yeah, I like musicals. Love them, really. 'Singing in the Rain', 'Chicago', 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show', 'Moulin Rouge', 'Little Shop of Horrors', 'Phantom of the Opera'. I think I may love every musical I've ever seen. My favorites though are 'Rent' and 'Wicked'.

I love the darker musicals, they're the ones that have the powerful music. I can barely listen to my 'Wicked' soundtrack on my headphones because I keep wanting to sing along with Elphaba. And the music that comes out of musicals isn't hocky or bad, some of the most enduring songs I know of come from musicals and nearly everything from 'Phantom of the Opera'. I love this new Hollywood trend of a musical coming out once every two years or so, it's just such a great thing to look forward to. I have this little hope that maybe the next one will be 'Wicked', that would be. . . wonderful Big Grin

muchlove
-dork
Big Money 01-17-2005 10:12 AM
My three favorite musicals:

(1) South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

(2) Mulan

(3) Muppet Treasure Island
Gummibear 01-17-2005 06:46 PM
^.^ I just bought My Fair Lady on DVD on Friday! One of my favorite musicals ever!
Nine Kuze 10-19-2006 10:15 PM
*I'm bringin' it back*

I usually don't care what genre the movie usually is, just as long as it can live up to my crazyass expections. I like musicals, if there done right that is.

My favorite musicals are West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, The Lion King, and The Wizard of Oz.

quote:
Originally posted by Gummibear
^.^ I just bought My Fair Lady on DVD on Friday! One of my favorite musicals ever!

I need to watch the whole thing. I saw like, the first half hour and it was good from what I saw. Also, I'm sort of on an Audrey Hepburn fix so, I'll pretty much watch anything she's in.
Peace.
The Baker St. Irregular 10-27-2006 10:36 PM
Even though it uses a lot of pop songs from various famous artists, I can't help but love Moulin Rouge!. Anime Smile The whole movie sounds like an utterly ridiculous premise at first, but it really does work, and it works wonderfully. Since I'm an artist and like bright colors and stimulating noises, I find myself incredibly moved by this movie whenever I watch it. Not only is it compelling visually and musically, but I personally liked the story a lot, too.

Besides, it's just so goddamn weird!
Generalissimo D 10-27-2006 11:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
My three favorite musicals:

(1) South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

(2) Mulan

(3) Muppet Treasure Island

Quoting this.