Sin City

Hienrich Ele 04-03-2005 07:02 PM
I saw it yesterday. It was very, very good.

It was crammed full of violence, and not the normal kind. The kind that makes you, in these steps

1) Cringe
2) Marvel at how cool it is
2) Cringe again

Elijah Wood, if he is the actor I am thinking of, had a... Interesting character. Not what I was expecting at all.

Would I see it again? Yes.
StevieV019 04-04-2005 10:14 AM
I saw it on Saturday night.

It was really really good in my opinion. The environment and atmosphere was just plain awesome, from the opening scene all the way to the end. The movie just grabs you and keeps you going with it. Not a single slow or boring moment in the movie, in my opinion. Has a definite Noir feel to it...Dark and deeply enchanting in an obsessively insane and chaotic way. At times, it feels like a forlorned love story, based upon the atmosphere and such. Right when you feel like there's going to be some slowdown, it just punches you in the stomach and lets you know this is action and drama to its core. Good stuff.

Very graphic in some places, not at all graphic in others. Pushes the envelope with an R rated movie. Good stuff though, I recommend it highly. If you get offended by nudity and gruesome violence, I feel it can be overlooked in this movie if you see it for what it is: a noir styled filmed with dramatic overtures throughout. Most of the scenes in the movie are done as tastefully as possible given the environment.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though...
BethMcBeth 04-04-2005 11:49 AM
Coolness that does look interesting, for some reason I really liked that one clip with the police cars jumping on that cobble stone road. ^_~" Still cool though!
Mugiwara Luffy 04-04-2005 01:56 PM
I'd love to see it but good luck convincing any of my family members to go with me. Don't really have any friends who want to see it either. And I can't drive yet so it looks improbable.

I loved Kill Bill and this looks similar, at least in terms of violence and expert storytelling. I guess I'll wait for the DVD then... Crying
Buck Buck #1 04-05-2005 09:22 PM
I just saw it, and it is really good. I even would want to see it again, which is kinda rare for me. I'd definately reccommend it to anyone who is a Quentin Tarantino fan.
Captain Maw 04-06-2005 01:38 AM
tarantino fan, but don't really knwo what sin city is about. is it easy on the noobs?
Sephiroth 04-08-2005 07:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
tarantino fan, but don't really knwo what sin city is about. is it easy on the noobs?

It is totally easy on noobs. Those who haven't read the comics will understand it just fine. It follows the stories of 3 seperate but intertwining comics: Sin City, The Big Fat Kill, and That Yellow B*****. No prior knowledge is necessary as it retells them in their entirity from beginning to end. I saw it this afternoon, and I have to say, it is one of the best comic book based movies I have ever seen. It really set the bar as to what comic book adaptations SHOULD be. It really drew me in, and I was on the edge of my seat from the beggining to the end. Elijah Woods scared me half to death though. I have to say that it was terribly graphic. It was a good thing that it was in black and white, or the violence would have been way too graphic. However, the violence was not to random or unncessary. Most of it was well placed, and those the most graphic parts affected really had it coming i.e. That Yellow B****** and Elijah Woods.

It was truly a masterpiece, and anyone interested in seeing an awesome film should see it as soon as possible.
Mr. Peabody 04-09-2005 12:32 AM
"Sin City" was a great movie and my favorite "episode" was Dwight and the girls of Old Town defending their territory from the Mob.

This was obviously going to be a violent movie, but eight people walked out at various points. Did anyone else notice people walking out?
Wazpy 04-09-2005 07:28 AM
I knew everything before hand, so there wern't really any suprises, but I loved how they finished they Yellow Bastard. I didn't think that would get in. Big Grin
I was actually expecting it to be more violent though. The first time I read one of the comics, it was a little scary. Now I'm used to it.

Marv is the greatest character though. I'm suprised you guys arn't ranting about how awesome he is. "That all ya got, pansies?"
Almasy 04-09-2005 03:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
This was obviously going to be a violent movie, but eight people walked out at various points. Did anyone else notice people walking out?

My Dad went to see it the other day. He said he walked out after an hour or so (or whenever the part where the dead guy comes "alive" and starts talking in the car was).

I told him he should have waited, since the end was cool. Oh well.
Sephiroth 04-09-2005 09:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
I knew everything before hand, so there wern't really any suprises, but I loved how they finished they Yellow Bastard. I didn't think that would get in. Big Grin
I was actually expecting it to be more violent though. The first time I read one of the comics, it was a little scary. Now I'm used to it.

Marv is the greatest character though. I'm suprised you guys arn't ranting about how awesome he is. "That all ya got, pansies?"

Yes, Marv was an awesome character. He is like a walking tank, I mean he was shot multiple times, beaten, and put in an electric chair and still wouldn't go down. Micky Rork (Sp) was a very good actor for that part as well, as his face looks almost exactly like that. His section of the movie was undoubtedly my favorite, except for the part at the farm with Elijah Woods. That creeped me out. Best quote of that entire section: 'The Bad Days, the All or Nothing days... they're back." It just sounds awesome.
Travis Bickle 04-10-2005 08:57 PM
Well, I just got out of it about 20 minutes ago, and there's only one thing I can think of saying about it:

HOLY sh**!

Seriously, the way the movie was written. It was a combination of film noir and a live action comic book. It was amazing. The way all the lines were delivered. The narration. The acting. The backgrounds. There's just a few gripes I had about it:

-I wish Mickey Rourke played Hartigan and Bruce Willis played Marv.
-I wish the epilouge was much longer than just that one scene
-I wish the opening was longer
-I wish they developed Elijah Wood's charachter a lot more

I saw it with the rest of the kids on my floor. The kid next to me wouldn't shut up about the T&A in the movie. Nobody walked out of it, though.

And yes, Marv is my favorite charachter.
Avenir 04-10-2005 10:47 PM
Ironic, I saw it and returned home around the same time as Cerpin Taxt.

Such an astonishing film. The art and film noir fashion were quite eye catching. The interwining yet pseudo parallel chronicles were very intriguing and it certainly wasn't compendious on action.. As many have said, this is how comic adaption films should be orchestrated.

My personal favorite arc was with Dwight and the Old Town Girls, and my favorite character was, likewise, Marv.

It was certainly graphic, but more often than not the blood was masked by the black and white color tones; I personally found it to be rather comical at times. Nonetheless, I highly recommend Sin City. Smile

My thanks to Almasy and Sephiroth for convincing me to see it. Smile
Fujiko 04-11-2005 12:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy

I think Marv had to be my fave character in the movie. He was the one that made me laugh the most, especially the eletric chair scene.

quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
His section of the movie was undoubtedly my favorite, except for the part at the farm with Elijah Woods. That creeped me out.

I dunno, I thought Elijah Woods made a good creepy guy. He just has that...look...
Gato Gurl914 04-12-2005 05:59 PM
i saw it with my best bud. best movie i have seen in quite some time, i bought the soundtrack, wich is awesome. speaking of elijah wood's character, my friend and i were scared by it. we thought we were gonna get a visit from old kevin that night. Shocked i looked at the books and saw that for once the movie acctually went like page by page of the books! awesome. i also liked the dude who gets arrowed with the message about jackie-boy's head.

"Heyyyyyy"
Laughing
Travis Bickle 04-15-2005 09:53 AM
For those of you that actually saw the movie, you might get a kick out of this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2798

Something Awful has dedicated their entire Photoshop Phriday to a Sin City theme. It's not really that profane, but it still is a funny 12 or so pages of photoshopped images from the movie.

(Scroll down just a bit to see it)
Zopwx2 04-15-2005 04:51 PM
Go here If you want to see the comic still compared with what showed up in the movie. It uses the 4 comics the film is based off of.

quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
For those of you that actually saw the movie, you might get a kick out of this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2798

Something Awful has dedicated their entire Photoshop Phriday to a Sin City theme. It's not really that profane, but it still is a funny 12 or so pages of photoshopped images from the movie.

(Scroll down just a bit to see it)

Gotta love the SA photoshops.
Sephiroth 05-04-2005 09:07 PM
Well, since no one else has mentioned this, I'm going to give everyone who enjoyed the film some good news. There is going to be at least one more Sin City film (possibly 2). The opening and ending scenes from the film are from a comic (To Hell and Back I believe) that will be in a later film. I'm not sure, but I think its the last comic in the series. Frank Miller plans on making a film for every one of the Sin City comics. So that means more of Dwight, Marv, and the other denizens of Sin City.
Travis Bickle 05-04-2005 09:13 PM
quote:
Well, since no one else has mentioned this, I'm going to give everyone who enjoyed the film some good news. There is going to be at least one more Sin City film (possibly 2). The opening and ending scenes from the film are from a comic (To Hell and Back I believe) that will be in a later film. I'm not sure, but I think its the last comic in the series. Frank Miller plans on making a film for every one of the Sin City comics. So that means more of Dwight, Marv, and the other denizens of Sin City.

Actually, the ending scene was written just for the movie...
Mr. Peabody 05-04-2005 09:24 PM
quote:
Well, since no one else has mentioned this, I'm going to give everyone who enjoyed the film some good news. Frank Miller plans on making a film for every one of the Sin City comics. So that means more of Dwight, Marv, and the other denizens of Sin City.

I'm glad that Sin City was a box office hit (it's creators took a big risk and deserve applause), but I'm not interested in a sequel. Besides, weren't the later books in the series lackluster?