The Comic Book Topic

Jonny Axehandle 12-23-2004 06:27 PM
This thread is for anything comic-related. Talk about anything from the stories, to the art, or just whatever.

Recently I got my hands on the #1 issue of the new Iron Man. In the last episode, "Iron Man: The Avengers Disassembled #434", Tony Stark decided to tell everyone he was no longer Iron Man, thus making his identity secret again. He also announced he would find someone else to wear the Iron Man suit.

This new series looks promising. Anyone else get it?
Wazpy 12-23-2004 07:26 PM
Last I read that was Avengers related was #500. Why was Tony Stark getting drunk at that UN session?... oh yeah... and what happened with all that other stuff... I really don't have much interest in the Avengers...

I read a ton of Batman recently though, although I'm missing a few issues from the War Games.
The Baker St. Irregular 12-24-2004 10:34 AM
Due to hints my sister dropped me, one of my presents for Christmas are Batman comics. When I actually get to open them and read them, I shall discuss them here with you lovely people.

Anywho, that reminds me! Batman. He's a comic book character. And the best one, in my worthless opinion. I've been able to read more of the comics since I've ripped myself away from manga for a while. Lemme tell ya, Batman is definitely not kiddie stuff! Dark Knight Returns is totally wicked awesome, but it's easy to say that it is very anti-fluffy. Yay! How fun it is to dispell the preconception of comics as kid's stuff!

This is a good a place as any to ask the time-old question... Who would win, Batman or Superman?

Of course, any DC fan worth their weight in salt would know that it is a scientific fact Batman could so totally beat Superman. That is, if he really, really, really, really, really had to.
Hobodoken 12-24-2004 11:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
Of course, any DC fan worth their weight in salt would know that it is a scientific fact Batman could so totally beat Superman. That is, if he really, really, really, really, really had to.

Bats wouldn't have to, he'd just need to want to and be given an hour or two in which to plana devestating plan of action with which to crush Supes.

Then the plan would be brought into action, and Superman would be laid to waste.
Hienrich Ele 12-24-2004 11:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise

Well, we all know what happens in Dark Knight Returns. Batman would have won, had it not been for his plan to come back later.

In that "Hush" comic book, it said that Superman gave Batman a kryptonite ring so that if Batman ever needed to, he could easily beat Superman up. Which he ends up doing...

In case you didn't know, I try to read as much Batman comics as possible. I got "The Killing Joke", "The Dark Knight Returns", "Arkham Asylum", "Bruce Wayne: Fugitive (Or some title along that lines) 1 & 2", "Hush", "Batman: The Long Halloween", "Batman: Year One", and more, though I can't remember them off the top of my head.
Wazpy 12-24-2004 03:24 PM
I'd prefer to think Superman would destroy Batman. Batman is cooler, no doubt about that, but I prefer Batman dealing with thugs. I hate him when he's around Superman or the Justice League. Writers pump Batman up to a level he's not at. He goes from master detective to world's smartest man and a technological mastermind...

I read the Long Halloween the other day. That's how I like Batman... as a detective. I also like the 1940's Batman comics because they're funny.

Also, I know most of you have probably read through the popular graphic novels, but do any of you ever read the issues as they come out? What did you think of War Games? Also, I missed a lot of it, particuarly in act 2. Maybe someone could fill me in.

On a side note, I got 20 comics today out of the bargain bin in an antique store. Some really old ones in the pile too, from the days when they were 10 - 20 cents. Mostly crappy, 3rd rate Marvel titles that only lasted a few years, like ROM, Indiana Jones, Shogun Warriors (Think American Voltron from the 80's), Conan the Barbarian. I also got some Nick Fury, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Batman, Superman ect.... but the best comic I got today is... "Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos!" I can't wait to read it. The cover has him jump kicking ninjas.
Cecil XIX 12-24-2004 04:17 PM
quote:
I hate him when he's around Superman or the Justice League. Writers pump Batman up to a level he's not at. He goes from master detective to world's smartest man and a technological mastermind...

He's not? Confused

Back when I was in Elementary School, I loved reading the Sonic comics. I stopped after issue fifty though. Now it seems that having to accomodate ever single videogame has messed up the continuity, and now Moebius is Earth. Hmph...
Wazpy 12-25-2004 08:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cecil XIX
quote:
I hate him when he's around Superman or the Justice League. Writers pump Batman up to a level he's not at. He goes from master detective to world's smartest man and a technological mastermind...

He's not? Confused

Not really. He used to have this guy that would design his gadgets. He was a mute guy (Kind of a rip off of Zorro, but Batman was inspired by Zorro anyway I think). He died during Hush though.
Batman has some knowledge of everyday gadgets, but he doesn't build space ships and time portals....

And I havn't read them, but if those Sonic comics are on Earth now, they're probably about Sonic Adventure or "Sonic X". They're not related to the classy, old games at all.
Trotsky 12-25-2004 09:16 AM
i love the transformer Gi-Joe searies, it's sooo awsome how they re-did WW2. and added giant robots.
Cecil XIX 12-25-2004 12:39 PM
quote:
And I havn't read them, but if those Sonic comics are on Earth now, they're probably about Sonic Adventure or "Sonic X". They're not related to the classy, old games at all.

They never were, really. There were a few specials based of Sonic & Knuckes, and Triple Trouble, but that was about it. Remember the old Sonic SatAM cartoon? That's about what they were like.
Benjamin 12-26-2004 12:38 AM
*Runs In Naked and Painted Green Shouting* """GREEN LANTURN RULES"""
Almasy 12-26-2004 11:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin
*Runs In Naked and Painted Green Shouting* """GREEN LANTURN RULES"""

O_O! ... Shocked

Confused ... o_O;
Darkside 12-26-2004 11:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Trotsky
i love the transformer Gi-Joe searies, it's sooo awsome how they re-did WW2. and added giant robots.

I have the trade paperback of that series, its one of my favorites. I love the redesigns of the transformers.
StevieV019 12-29-2004 10:18 AM
Pretty much anything with good art, or subjects that appeal to me Ill read.

I read Batman (he's my favorite superhero) when the art is crisp, the environment is dark and the story seems good. I picked up both volumes (1 and 2) of Hush, loved the story, thought it was cool.

I read Street Fighter mainly because its video games, the characters are interesting, and the art's been good.

I read The Red Star, but thats painfully slow with when it gets released. Good stuff...

I used to read Dark Minds, but they stopped publishing it...

I also read the new Metal Gear Solid comic, even though Im familiar with the story, its nice to see it in print and the art with it is cool.
Wazpy 12-29-2004 12:06 PM
Everyone seems to like Hush, but I thought it was kind of a waste of villains (Like the 4th Batman movie). All Batman's "super villains" were degenerated into being thugs for a new character who's not really that interesting (Although Hush reminds me of Schwarzwald, which is slick). I'm stealing this line, but it really is kind of a "How to draw Batman characters" story arc.
It wasn't bad or anything, but its overrated (Except for the art)
Asirt 02-14-2005 08:00 PM
I'm not much into comic book as I was in the past. However, the one comic that I was pretty much into was Sonic The Hedgehog. Up until issue # 50, I really liked the art and I also liked the fact that it connects with the SatAM story. I haven't been checking it very much, but I heard that Sonic and the others are now on Earth, and Knuckles is dead, I believe. I could be wrong, though. Other than that, I read one issue of Archie. Smile

Later,
Trisa
Xel 02-14-2005 09:31 PM
Man, I used to follow the Sonic comic series religiously, but I got out of it shortly after the Endgame story arc (issues 97-100, if my memory doesn't fail me). That was so long ago... really takes me back. ^^;

Though I heard it's gotten weird as hell since then, and they had to creatively resurrect Robotnik and Snively when they realized the series couldn't really go on without 'em. Bah.

Can I just say how much I frickin' HEART Johnny the Homicidal Maniac? What a delightful comic that is. Purr. Certainly helps that a friend of mine has written this massive alternate universe "what if?" kind of fic that's absolutely incredible... *baiting* Embarrassed Sweatdrop
Sharpshooter005 02-14-2005 11:45 PM
Did the Venom comics ever go anywhere really?

The only ones I remember owning are.

Issue #1, with a foil cover and tons of great "oh, a mugger, better EAT HIS BRAIN" action inside.

Something involving morbius, or whatever that vampire in the spiderman comics was.

A couple of ones from this miniseries where venom faught to stop Carnage's bizzare plan to use the media to...well, I forget. Typical stuff about spreading madness or..something.

And finally, one where Venom goes up against the Sin Eater.

As a kid, I found them fairly entertaining.
Hienrich Ele 02-15-2005 12:48 AM
Today, I got Batman: Year Two and Batman: A Death In The Family. All in the mission to buy all the Batman comics I can before Batman Begins comes out.

In Death In the Family, Robin II, Jason Todd, dies. It is cool. It was made in the 70's, so Iran is in it and is shown as bad as they can be, which is a good thing.

In Year Two, Batman meets his parents' killer. Not as climatic as I thought it would be, but still cool. It was nice to see what Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm is based on.
AlexRosewater 03-10-2005 10:46 PM
Well, recently I have been busy reading Punisher: War Journal and Punisher: Back to school series with the older Fantastic Four series and I'M trying to find some great DR.Dooom stories, DareDevil stories, and some booster Gold....