The Comic Book Topic

Wazpy 06-02-2005 03:10 PM
I don't really like the Maxx. I guess its supposed to be kind of humorous, but its serious humor... if that makes any sense. Its just not my style.
Darth Nat 06-05-2005 06:06 PM
I picked up some more comics to bolster my collection. I bought Batman: A Death in the Family, Batman: Blind Justice, Nightwing: A Knight in Bludhaven, Kingdom Come, and The Spectre: Crimes and Punishments.

So far, I've only read The Spectre, which is something I picked up on impulse. I came across something about the Spectre when reading about Doctor Fate, and he sounded like an interesting character, so I bought this graphic novel that collects the first four issues of his latest series. The Spectre is definitely different than my normal hero preferences. The thing about the Spectre is this: he's damn near omnipotent. Being the embodiment of the Wrath of God, he's easily one of the most powerful beings in the entire DC universe. But he's put in interesting situations, since his mission on Earth is to avenge the murdered dead, and since pretty much no one has a prayer of standing a chance in a fight against him, the author of the book smartly decided to put him in lots of morally questionable situations. For instance, is he justified if his quest for vengeance results in an innocent man committing suicide out of fear of the Spectre? It's a very interesting read about a pretty obscure and unique character. My only gripe with the book is that since it only contains four issues of the original comic, the subplots are never brought to a conclusion.

The cover is cool too. It glows in the dark. Cool

Anyways, I haven't had a chance to read the others, though I have high expectations for Kingdom Come (which also includes the Spectre as a major character, oddly enough) and Batman: Blind Justice, which I have read is just a very good Batman story that often goes unappreciated.

EDIT: I have now finished Batman: A Death in the Family as well, and I'm a little torn on this one. On one hand, it was the first comic I have ever read featuring Jason Todd, so I wasn't expecting his death to be particularly heartwrenching. And it isn't. I really doubt it would be heartwrenching for someone even intimately acquainted with Jason Todd. The problem, in my opinion, is that there's no real buildup to his death. It just seems to happen, and then it's over, and it's never really explored to its fullest. The artwork was a bit odd as well, especially that of the Joker, with his super narrow face. The subplot involving the Joker becoming the ambassador for Iran was very strange as well. Overall, it wasn't a bad Batman story, but certainly not one of my favorites.
Sephiroth 09-26-2005 10:46 PM
Being that no one has posted in this thread for quite sometime, I decided to bring it back with some important news for Marvel, specifically X-men, fans. For those who don't already know, this year marks the 10th anniversary of the epic series, The Age of Apocalypse. An alternate Marvel universe, which literally turned every franchise upside down. Though the story focused mainly on the X-men, most Marvel heroes were featured, in generally less than heroic fashions. In honor of the Anniversary, Marvel is periodically releasing 4 collections containing the Age of Apocalypse comics, and one complete guide to the AoA storyline. The first collection, Age of Apocalypse: The Epic vol. 1 was released in August, with voume 2 coming out in March. There is also a collection called the Complete Age of Apocalypse that has already been released. This however, completely retells the events of AoA, adding things and changing some major events. I don't know how many people care about this as much as I do, but for those who do and have not yet heard about this, I thought I should bring it to your attention.
Klrrjess 10-26-2005 02:45 PM
Wow. Lotsa Batman fans in here! Okay, so I used to read comics (before I had kids, and therefore, did have money!) and I liked a lot of the Wildstorm titles from (then) Image comics, my favorite being Gen 13. It was a very "girl-friendly" comic, with still enough fan service to please my boyfriend and other guy friends who read it! In fact, my nickname (Kat) came from one of the characters, since I matched her so well in brains and looks. (go, me!) Anyone else ever read it?
Generalissimo D 12-03-2005 06:00 PM
Today I bought the V For Vendetta collection book.

I must say, its quite amazing. I'm up to chapter 6 of the Second book. Very nice. Very, very nice.
Travis Bickle 12-03-2005 06:02 PM
I just bought Aranofksy's The Fountain. If the movie is even half as good as the graphic novel is, then it'll still be the best movie of next year.
Sephiroth 06-10-2006 06:31 PM
Once I again, I revive this thread. Today I picked up Hellboy: Strange Places. I went to the store expecting to find The Conqueror Worm, the one Hellboy story that I have been missing, and found that they have released a new graphic novel. Since I happen to love Hellboy and the style of Mike Mignola, it was great. It had a really cool story about the creation of the earth, as well as the Ogdru Jahad (the giant tentacle monster in the film). The poetic and literary references of the other Hellboy books returned as well. I liked the connection to the other Hellboy series currently running, The B.P.R.D., as everything in both series seems to be pointing to some kind of apocalyptic event. Anywho, for fans of Hellboy who have yet to pick up Strange Places, I reccomend you do so. For anyone interested in Hellboy, pick up the first few books first, as Strange Places assumes that you know what has been going on in the past five books.
major pain 07-02-2006 09:33 AM
Finally got a hold of Mark Millars Superman Red Son, its a very interesting read on how things could be quite different if Superman grew up in the Soviet Union.

Along with that I've been digging my claws into the lastest Batman run which has been quite enjoyable.
Hobodoken 07-03-2006 12:41 AM
I'm currently keeping up with 52 and Civil War.

Both are going swimmingly.