Episode 7 Discussion: "Night of the Chimera's Cry"

Shredder 12-18-2004 10:17 PM
Don't forget to watch FMA tonight! I won't spoil anything with any hints, just a reminder that a lot of what you see in these early episodes is relevant later. Enjoy the show! Smile )
Dude Love 12-18-2004 10:28 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Shredder. I can't fall back on the Thursday re-run again. Last week I missed Episode 6 because I slept through my alarm for the Thursday re-air.

Also, I'll edit my thoughts in later. Smile

Edit in of my thoughts:

Well, like those who've posted after me, I'm in agreement that this was a very sick and sad episode. Also, continually playing on the fact that if you mess around with Human Alchemy you will get burned (or, in this case, beat up by a short little kid).
dominusofdeath 12-18-2004 11:26 PM
Tonights episode was really sad. I enjoyed it though.
evanASF27 12-18-2004 11:28 PM
That was sick and twisted....

(I guess my prediction from the other thread was only partly wrong)
Sephiroth 12-18-2004 11:33 PM
Now everyone knows why I hate Tucker. He is completely crazy. However, in the manga he is a bit more remorseful about his deed and stays locked up in his mansion with his daughter until his unfortunate death at the hands of the man who killed the chimera in tonights episode. I'm glad to see the alchemist killer finally appearing in the anime. He is one of my favorite characters, very tormented. Tonights episode was very much like episode 3. It was both entertaining and very sad at the same time. I felt really badly for Tucker's daughter, and wished Tucker hadn't been so crazy that he fused her with the dog so completely that it couldn't be reversed. Tucker's speech to Ed is pretty thought provoking, a lot of what he says is true, when people have the power to do something, it's rare that they don't try to use it whenever they can. However, I was made that they left out the line Al says in the manga when he stops Ed from killing Tucker. "If you keep talking this time, I'll shut you up."
Madrona 12-19-2004 01:06 AM
Yes, indeed, Tucker is a sick sick man. How could he do that? To his own little girl? JEEZ!!! I kept hoping that Ed could make it better( but you know that would be way too easy).

Al was left a bit in the backround this episode, more as a way to control Ed.

Just when you see them doing something very "grown-up" we get reminded that they are just kids. People forget that a prodigy is a kid. Otherwise, it wouldn't be that big a deal would it?

Madrona
Schoolie 12-19-2004 01:01 PM
Wow. Powerful episode.

Some of these early episodes (first with the "dolls," now with the chimera) really help bring to light the belief in alchemy and ethics. I think it's good for the boys (especially Ed) to examine their beliefs.

That said, I wish we could see more of Al in action. As the little brother, I suppose he's supposed to be more of the follower.
Jane 12-19-2004 04:32 PM
Sick, sick, sick, and twisted episode, but very provoking. I'm interested to see that these latest episodes seem to show just how degrading it is for alchemists to play around with the powers of life (which brings to mind the reaction of the boys at the birth of the baby--they were witnessing a power their science doesn't have). This seems to me to be a very religious theme, yet, the first two episodes seemed to be very anti-religion. As a very religious person, I'm curious to see what the central theme of this anime is going to be when things come back around to the present again.
Hobodoken 12-19-2004 05:20 PM
Sick **** deserved to get his ass beat....
</pissed>
Tabris-kun 12-19-2004 09:54 PM
I can't believe a man (even though it's too good a title for him) do that to his daughter and dog?
Madrona 12-20-2004 12:30 PM
I was thinking about this episode again and realized how unfair it was for Tucker to compare what he had done to what Al and Ed had done. He said it was no different that what they had done to their mother. That was completely uncalled for! Their mother was already dead and they were just trying to bring her back because they loved her and missed her. He changed Nina and the dog into the Chimera for his own greedy needs! Love had nothing to do with it. What a jerk!

Madrona
Schoolie 12-20-2004 07:28 PM
Yeah, I think Tucker was a little on the crazy side - much like psychotic cases - and thought what he was doing was just like what Ed and Al did. And a similar situation was with the guy who made the dolls.

I these episodes/stories are a way for Ed and Al to look at their own beliefs in what they do as alchemists and to see the danger of extremes and losing perspective.

A new question: What does this say about that big bald guy with the mustache? (Name?) How much did he know about Tucker? And why was he so interested in Tucker's work and keeping him employed? Was it just to keep up a good image of having a talented alchemist, or is there something more?
Naraku 12-20-2004 11:41 PM
I liked it. The chimera part reminds of an episode of CSI, where before these twins were born one died giving the other some DNA. The same twin that surrvived was susspected of rape. So they did some tests and the results were negative. But they found out about the incidnet where he inheridted the other twins DNA. He was referred to as a chimera by the ploice. And they did another test which proved positive. Even though that doesnt have much to do with Full Metal Alchemist I found it had relavence to this episode with the chimera part of the story. But that was a fairly entertaining episode with whole thing with his wife and how she died and how the guy killed the chimera.
BabyGhia 12-21-2004 12:39 AM
This was a sad episode. I really liked Nina and the dog. And as soon as I saw the Chimera, I knew what Tucker had done. Crying

Absolutely not the same thing Ed and Al did. They were young when they did it and didn't realize all the consequences involved. Tucker did.

Sad but also an interesting episode. Interesting to see the new characters as well.

BabyGhia
Wingnut 12-21-2004 02:20 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the original chimera he created that could talk could have been his wife, done in a similar manner to what happened to Nina?
Madrona 12-21-2004 02:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the original chimera he created that could talk could have been his wife, done in a similar manner to what happened to Nina?

I thought that's what they said. At least, that's what Ed said. The timeline would work. In fact, I'd believe that if she was going to leave him,( because he was a poor good for nothing alchemist) he'd turn around and do that. It's a bit confusing though because Hughes says that she died before Tucker and Nina came to Central.

Madrona
neffie 12-21-2004 07:11 PM
He created the chimera before he came to Central, so his wife died / disappeared before he went to cental.

So, yes. He did that to his wife - she was the chimera that he created to become a state alchemist.
BabyGhia 12-21-2004 08:22 PM
Tucker had to use to human to have the chimera speak. Looks like he still hadn't figured out how to make one without a human in the mix. Guess that would be pretty hard.

BabyGhia
Schoolie 12-22-2004 11:56 AM
So was Tucker also responsible for the serial murders?

From the looks of that woman's body and how Ed reacted, it seems the she was a victim of alchemy.
Sephiroth 12-22-2004 03:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
So was Tucker also responsible for the serial murders?

From the looks of that woman's body and how Ed reacted, it seems the she was a victim of alchemy.

No, Tucker had nothing to do with the serial murders. The reason he killed was for science, and those women would have served no purpose in furthering his scientific advancements. The person who did kill them appears later, and that's all I'll say about that.