Best and Worst Films of 2004

Avenir 12-14-2004 12:38 AM
The year 2004 AD brought about many new movies; amazing movies that impressed a lot of us. And the year isn't over yet, with more films awaiting theatrical release. Share a list of your best and worst films of the year.

Best; in no particular order:

The Incredibles
Spider-Man 2
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
The Bourne Supremacy
The Terminal
I, Robot

Worst; in no particular order:

Around the World in Eighty Days
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Catwoman
The Stepford Wives
Pygmalion 12-14-2004 07:47 AM
I'd say the two best films I saw were

The Incredibles
The Polar Express

While it was not the worst film of 2004, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was a disappointment after the care the first two movies took in following the book.

We don't bother going to films we aren't quite excited about, so we've managed to miss most of the year's dogs. Particularly the movie that used Isaac Asimov's names, but little else of his Robot series.

Pygmalion
pen1300 12-14-2004 08:13 AM
I don't know all the movies that came out this year, but I have to disagree with one of your choices: The Stepford Wives. Personally, I felt it was wonderfully done and I loved how they "tricked" you.

Another good movie was The Villiage. I immensely enjoyed that movie that I must have it for Christmas.

Um...a movie that could have been better: Van Helsing (is that 2004?), but I still liked it.

Yeah...I don't get out to see movies. First off, I'm poor. Second off, my movie buddy (mom) is poor. And thanks to school and stuff, I missed out on a lot of movies this year. Crying BUT THERE IS NO WAY I'M MISSING THE 2005 MOVIE YEAR! HA!

Later,
Pen1300
StevieV019 12-15-2004 12:04 PM
Even though this movie came out in 2002 overseas...it was released in the States this year...

props to Hero as one of the best from 2004..
COHugh 12-15-2004 01:07 PM
My best movies would have to be:
Spider-Man 2
Blade 3*

Worst:
Something's Got to Give

I'm like Pyg in that I don't go to see a lot of movies that look bad, so I'm going to list this one because I was dragged to it because I wanted some quality time with my sister. It wasn't really bad, just too long. I think I've said this before, but they should've ended the movie

spoiler (highlight to read):
where Jack Nicholson's character is standing in Paris and he says something like "Showtime"/something along those lines. The movie went on for another 10 minutes or so after that and we got the typical Hollywood happy ending. If it'd stopped there, some mystery would've been left and the movie would have scored major Dave Bonus Points!!!

* Only if I get enough money from book buy back to actually go see a movie... I'm about to find out! Wink ::crosses fingers::
Tickle Tickle 12-15-2004 02:55 PM
Best:

The Incredibles
Mean Girls (although I think this may have been 2003)
Cutie Honey

Worst:

I guess Garfield, it was okay, I really thought it could've been better.
Mike 12-15-2004 03:16 PM
EYYAH!!

I thought Anchorman was effing hilarious.

Spiderman was great, so was Sky Captain, which I thought would have sucked.

I heard Catwoman was awful, so I never saw it...same with Around the World.
BethMcBeth 12-15-2004 03:32 PM
Hmm the best film of 2004 that I have seen was probably the Polar Express and Shreik 2 then again those were the only films I happen to see in the theature! ROFL!!!!!
noTomato 12-15-2004 04:34 PM
Best:
Team America
Mean Girls
Big Fish
The Incredibles (B00tl3g)

Worst:
Alexander the not-so-great
Ocean's 12
StevieV019 12-16-2004 07:51 AM
Uh-oh...notomato, you've seen Ocean's Twelve? Didnt it just come out? Really looking forward to seeing it after seeing Oceans Eleven. Anyway...surprised it hit the "worst of 2004" list. How come so bad??
noTomato 12-16-2004 11:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Uh-oh...notomato, you've seen Ocean's Twelve? Didnt it just come out? Really looking forward to seeing it after seeing Oceans Eleven. Anyway...surprised it hit the "worst of 2004" list. How come so bad??

well...I didn't like Ocean's 11 either, so...it's probably just me.
Mugiwara Luffy 12-17-2004 06:01 PM
I didn't see many movies this year but I will still give my opinion based on what I did see.

Best:
Kill Bill Vol 2 (best movie ever)
Spider-man 2 (saw it 3 times in theaters)
National Treasure

Worst:
King Arthur (not so great)
Harry Potter and the POA (not so great either)
StevieV019 12-20-2004 07:53 AM
Amendment:

Best of 2004: Include Ocean's 12 with Hero

Sorry, notomato, saw it this weekend and loved it. Similar to Ocean's 11 (which was great) but different enough to spin things. Same great cast, same great antics...surprises and twists around every corner. Awesome stuff. If you havent seen it, I recommend you do...
Jonny Axehandle 12-20-2004 03:17 PM
Despite the opinions of many tasteless posters, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was the #1 best movie of 2004.

In no order, the other best movies of 2004 are:

The Passion of the Christ
The Incredibles
I, Robot
and Spider Man 2
The Fallen Phoenix 12-20-2004 09:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Even though this movie came out in 2002 overseas...it was released in the States this year...

props to Hero as one of the best from 2004..

Amen; such a great movie. I saw it twice before its domestic release...I regret not being able to see it in theaters like I wanted, though.

While not the worst movie, I do agree that The Prisoner of Azkaban left much to be desired, though I don't think it was as bad as some are claiming it was...

Spider-Man 2 was great, as expected...it's definitely in the upper tier.

---
Certainly can't forget Passion of the Christ, either.
StevieV019 12-21-2004 07:10 AM
I watched Hero two nights ago on DVD, with the english dub. Wasnt disappointed with that either. The theatre release had subtitles with the original Chinese intact. Either way, the story is great, the filmography and imagery is mesmerizing, and the action is so dramatic.

I keep thinking about all the epic camera shots that were done throughout the movie. If not for the story, the acting, the action, or Jet Li, at least see the movie for that. The cinematography in that movie is amazing and should be used as an educational tool with how movies should be made.

Sorry for the rant, but Hero is truly amazing, in all aspects.
Sharpshooter005 12-21-2004 04:24 PM
Citizen Kane wasn't released in 2004, or...really, even close to 2004.

However, I hadn't seen it in a long while, until it was on TCM earlier this month. So I'm going to pretend it counts, and put that down as my choice.
Nine Kuze 10-27-2005 01:47 PM
Citizen Kane was made around the 30's but still, its one of the best films I have ever seen.

Anyway, for last year, the best movies I saw were:
The Aviator
Million Dollar Baby
Ray
Sideways
Spider Man 2
Passion of the Christ
Hero
House of Flying Daggers

Actually to be honest, I like Flying Daggers more than Hero. There's more of a love story in there so I guess that's what attracts me to it more.

The worst movie of 2004 was Gigli, hands down. Actually, I don't know if it was 2003 or 2004 but still, one of the worse movies that I have ever seen. Pathetic...
Peace.