The War of the Worlds

seraphjei 12-13-2004 07:34 PM
i believe they are making the movie based of H.G. Wells' book arent they...not sure...there has been rumors though

sorry if there is already a thread on this
Zopwx2 12-13-2004 08:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei
i believe they are making the movie based of H.G. Wells' book arent they...not sure...there has been rumors though

sorry if there is already a thread on this

TEASER TRAILER

I dunno, so far its a pretty neutral trailer, although nice touch narrating it with a quote from the book. (haven't read it)

Appearantly Steven Speilberg is directing and Tom Cruise stars.

But no one really knows what the details of the story are going to be, like if they are still going for the microbe death or what.

IMDB
COHugh 12-13-2004 08:28 PM
I wish they'd make a version true to the novels and not base it in "modern times" like the radio broadcast, the 50's movie, and now this one. That book gave me more of a fright than any of those retellings have. Oh Well
Hienrich Ele 12-13-2004 08:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]

Ewww... Tom Cruise...

Well, I never read the book, but I did see the movie before. I hope it is scary. Alien movies are fun.
COHugh 12-13-2004 08:46 PM
It's a good/quick read actually. Since the book is over 100 years old, the copyrights have been lifted and you can find it online for the best price known to man: FREE!

The Complete Text in one uber file:
http://www.umich.edu/~umfandsf/other/ebooks/warw10.txt

It's kinda like a 19th century survival horror tale. Nice read. Big Grin
Zopwx2 12-13-2004 08:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by COHugh
I wish they'd make a version true to the novels and not base it in "modern times" like the radio broadcast, the 50's movie, and now this one. That book gave me more of a fright than any of those retellings have. Oh Well

Your wish is my command: H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds
Hienrich Ele 12-13-2004 08:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by COHugh
It's a good/quick read actually. Since the book is over 100 years old, the copyrights have been lifted and you can find it online for the best price known to man: FREE!

The Complete Text in one uber file:
http://www.umich.edu/~umfandsf/other/ebooks/warw10.txt

It's kinda like a 19th century survival horror tale. Nice read. Big Grin

Thank you, my good sir. I'll start reading that as soon as I am done with my physics homework... That should have been done hours ago.
COHugh 12-13-2004 09:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]
Your wish is my command: H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds

DUDE!!! SWEET!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so there!!!!
Collateral 06-26-2005 02:15 AM
Since War of the Worlds will be here before we know it I thought I would resurrect this old thread.

I personally am very excited. I loved the TimeMachine written by Wells (both movies mind you Big Grin ). I have seen every single trailer even the ones in japanese! It just looks so cool. Also, Tom Cruise's hair looks great (I still love Vincent)!
lts_silver 06-26-2005 07:32 PM
Anyone here gonna see this new movie by Steven Spielberg, looks absolutely scary and fantastic!?
Collateral 06-26-2005 08:19 PM
Me! Me! Me! Me! Isn't there a thread already in the movie one?
Travis Bickle 06-26-2005 08:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Collateral
Me! Me! Me! Me! Isn't there a thread already in the movie one?

Yeah...it's around in the correct sub-forum somewhere.

And I don't know if I should see it or not. I heard it was supposed to be the raping of Wells' great novel.
Zopwx2 06-26-2005 08:40 PM
http://paradigm-city.com/forums/thread.php?threadid=10650

[Edit: Thanks, threads merged. --Krang]
X Prime 06-29-2005 07:34 AM
I'm not hearing very flattering things about it. For example, things like it relies on 9/11 imagery to give shock effects.

Anyone going to see it yet? (I'm assuming Europeans have it by now)
Sharpshooter005 06-29-2005 10:03 AM
quote:
Anyone goping to see it yet? (I'm assuming Europeans have it by now)

Didn't it...just come out here today? Usually movies aren't released in Europe until a while after they premiere here...well..maybe this one is different. Land of the Dead I know isn't coming out in Europe until...september, or something.
X Prime 06-29-2005 10:33 AM
If they have a simutaneous worldwide release, then Europeans and Australians get it first due to time zones.
IanC 06-29-2005 11:50 AM
Im not going to see it. Damn changing of year and country....
Zopwx2 06-29-2005 12:27 PM
I read some reviews and decided I'm not interested.
Travis Bickle 06-29-2005 04:44 PM
Since it was originally on my written list of things to see this summer (and, like Lobo, I never go back on a written document), I'm going to see it in about 75 minutes.

I heard from a lady that came into work that it was somewhat true to the book. I better check it out.
Gummibear 06-29-2005 04:57 PM
I'm really not interested in seeing it. I might sooner or later with a friend but I'm not very excited about it. I could be wrong and it could turn out to be a great movie but judging from the trailers...eh. I always felt that War of the Worlds should take place it the time period in which it was written. But either way it's probably going to make a great deal of money.