The War of the Worlds

Collateral 06-29-2005 06:42 PM
I have to see it...I have been waiting for this ever since I heard about it.
Zopwx2 06-29-2005 06:43 PM
I hear the ending detracts from the movie, and isn't speilbergs best (or worst).

...that would make a good thread though. Speilberg's worst movie!
Hienrich Ele 06-29-2005 06:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
...that would make a good thread though. Speilberg's worst movie!

One of the few people who hates ET here.

Hell, if one of THEM types came to me... I'd give it to the government. Filthy, dirty aliens...
Jim Starluck 06-29-2005 06:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gummibear I always felt that War of the Worlds should take place it the time period in which it was written. But either way it's probably going to make a great deal of money.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I would like to point out one thing--the reason the original War of the Worlds was so moving (especially the infamous radio presentation) was because it was contemporary. It told the story of what would happen to ordinary people, just like the ones who were reading the book or listening to the radio. It portrayed something that could happen tomorrow.

Given that, I can understand why they modernized it. Images of Martians conquering the Earth back in 1920 wouldn't affect the modern audience nearly as much as images of Martians conquering the Earth in 2005. Because it is set in the modern day, we can imagine it happening tomorrow.

Also, the fact that footage from 9/11 could be mistaken for scenes from a disaster movie lends such films a greater edge--because it did happen, and those scenes aren't so improbable after all. I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg went with that intentionally, with the aim of making the events in the film seem that much more real to the viewer.
Collateral 06-29-2005 07:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Starluck
quote:
Originally posted by Gummibear I always felt that War of the Worlds should take place it the time period in which it was written. But either way it's probably going to make a great deal of money.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I would like to point out one thing--the reason the original War of the Worlds was so moving (especially the infamous radio presentation) was because it was contemporary. It told the story of what would happen to ordinary people, just like the ones who were reading the book or listening to the radio. It portrayed something that could happen tomorrow.

Given that, I can understand why they modernized it. Images of Martians conquering the Earth back in 1920 wouldn't affect the modern audience nearly as much as images of Martians conquering the Earth in 2005. Because it is set in the modern day, we can imagine it happening tomorrow.

Also, the fact that footage from 9/11 could be mistaken for scenes from a disaster movie lends such films a greater edge--because it did happen, and those scenes aren't so improbable after all. I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg went with that intentionally, with the aim of making the events in the film seem that much more real to the viewer.

That makes a lot of sense! Using 9/11 as a way to prove that something like a War of the Worlds is in fact possible because we in fact lived through a similar drama. It can also hit people in a different way because we all know how much 9/11 affected us.
Travis Bickle 06-29-2005 08:57 PM
I recently got back from it.

Pros:
-Morgan Freeman
-Tim Robbins
-Best Special Effects I've probobly ever seen
-They f***ed up Boston...some more!

Cons:
-Worst use of Morgan Freeman ever
-Dakota Fanning screams every single goddamn line she has, thus making me want to kill her
-Reminds me of Signs too much
-Ending sucked (I don't remember the original, but I remember it being a lot better than the movie)
-Tom Cruise was overly emotional

The greatest part of the movie was not in the movie itself, but in the theater. The lady next to me had a kid with her, and near the end of the movie, he kept on talking out loud and asking questions. She kept telling him to be quiet. After a while when he didn't shut up, she gave him five across the eyes and the kid shut up. Brilliant!
Mike 06-29-2005 09:26 PM
I know that in the original book, the aliens just stopped attacking because they all succumbed to earth diseases they had no immunities to.

quote:
The greatest part of the movie was not in the movie itself, but in the theater. The lady next to me had a kid with her, and near the end of the movie, he kept on talking out loud and asking questions. She kept telling him to be quiet. After a while when he didn't shut up, she gave him five across the eyes and the kid shut up. Brilliant!

That's like when I saw Spiderman 2. There was this guy, who had like 2 or 3 little kids who were running around the theater and yelling the whole time. Then someone started to yell "If you can't find a babysitter don't drag your whiny little kids into the movies past their bedtimes!" but was cut off by something happening in the movie.
Gummibear 06-29-2005 09:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105
I know that in the original book, the aliens just stopped attacking because they all succumbed to earth diseases they had no immunities to.

quote:

That's like when I saw Spiderman 2. There was this guy, who had like 2 or 3 little kids who were running around the theater and yelling the whole time. Then someone started to yell "If you can't find a babysitter don't drag your whiny little kids into the movies past their bedtimes!" but was cut off by something happening in the movie.

Hehe...reminds me of when I saw Signs in the theater...( I thought the movie was pretty dumb) but it was funny because my grandmother went to see it with us. She was actually frightened and let out the biggest yelps! People were jumping because of my grandmother. I think the studio should've given her a cut of the profit.

I hope it's not the same with this movie.
Dude Love 06-30-2005 12:33 AM
I really did not like this movie. I prefer the radio broadcast much more.

One of my problems is that the whole movie was very repetitive. Some tripods come, they do some stuff, and that little girl screams a whole bunch. The only things to come out of her mouth in that movie were "AHHHH!" and "Dad".

Plus, many parts of this movie were politically charged. (Marked for possible spoilers:)
spoiler (highlight to read):
At one point Tim Robbins' character said "occupations always fail", obviously a reference to the current state of the US involvement in Iraq. Additionally, the entire scene at Athens (where they caught the ferry) was full of 9/11 imagery. People trying to escape the terror, and those bulletin boards filled with pictures of the missing was exactly as was seen on September 12th of 2001 (the 11th was all about the physical tragedy, fires, etc.). I personally want to be entertained by a movie, not be reminded of current political affairs and past tragedies.
Travis Bickle 06-30-2005 07:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
I really did not like this movie. I prefer the radio broadcast much more.

One of my problems is that the whole movie was very repetitive. Some tripods come, they do some stuff, and that little girl screams a whole bunch. The only things to come out of her mouth in that movie were "AHHHH!" and "Dad".

Plus, many parts of this movie were politically charged. (Marked for possible spoilersSmile
At one point Tim Robbins' character said "occupations always fail", obviously a reference to the current state of the US involvement in Iraq. Additionally, the entire scene at Athens (where they caught the ferry) was full of 9/11 imagery. People trying to escape the terror, and those bulletin boards filled with pictures of the missing was exactly as was seen on September 12th of 2001 (the 11th was all about the physical tragedy, fires, etc.). I personally want to be entertained by a movie, not be reminded of current political affairs and past tragedies.

Don't forget:
OH MY GOD DADDY! ARE THOSE THE TERRORISTS!?
Captain Maw 07-02-2005 12:30 AM
Excellent. a Spielberg Film that can't be ruined by appearance of weird aliens in end, cuz the aliens are in the beginning. word.
i have to say the element that made the movie really shine was some good acting performences.
also, the avoidance of annoying cliche's: (as taken from Newsweek article)
1: no destruction of famous landmarks. 2: no unnecessary beating up of New York City.
3: no politicians or scientists or generals as main characters. 4: no shots of military leaders pushing ships around on a big map with sticks. and 5: no shots of world capitals.
(finally....)
i'd have to say overall, the movie was well made, a must-see for those who read the book (different time, different character, but sticks to the general story).
lts_silver 07-02-2005 02:32 AM
I agree with you Maw, it was overall a good movie. As to the remark about the ending. If you read the original book written by HG Wells, which what the movie is heavily based on only the picture is set in modern times and in the US. The martians die of exposure to our air and drinking our blood. They die because they had no resistance to the loads of bacteria that is everywhere especially our blood . That's why the ending is the way it is. The idea behind an ending like that was to show how powerless mankind can be in the face of threat too terrible and powerful to imagine like an alien invasion or even a terrorist attack or some natural disaster. I will say this though, if you like an ending where the humans fight back and win, I definitely recommend Independence Day. That one was good too.
Lupin IV 07-02-2005 09:20 PM
I actually live in Bayonne, New Jersey (it takes me 5 minutes to reach the bridge you see get torn up) so seeing this movie was a MUST, in addition to it having such a famous past.

Overall, I thought it was good, though not amazing. The main thing for me was the ending. Still, worth my money in the long run.

I did not even understand clear enough why the martians suddenly started dying off. I was 100% confused when they killed the tripod with rockets at the end, yet the missles from the jets and tanks did nothing. At least I understand now, though. The fact that Robbie lives was like "oh, jeez. come on." I think it would have made a bigger impact if he didn't make it...like a "wait...where's robbie!? Crying " from the mother and stuff. Other than that, it was pretty cool.

BTW, the theater I went to, when the first tripod stands up and makes that ear-wrenching MMBBVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR, someone in front of the theater screamed out COMBINE!!!!!!!!" which actually got a few laughter-eruptions from people. Roll Eyes
Jonny Axehandle 07-02-2005 09:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lupin IV

I did not even understand clear enough why the martians suddenly started dying off. I was 100% confused when they killed the tripod with rockets at the end, yet the missles from the jets and tanks did nothing. At least I understand now, though. The fact that Robbie lives was like "oh, jeez. come on." I think it would have made a bigger impact if he didn't make it...like a "wait...where's robbie!? Crying " from the mother and stuff. Other than that, it was pretty cool.

Here's how it works:

The common cold can kill you if your immune system isn't strong enough. Since the common cold and several other viruses have been around so long, our immune systems are strong enough to reduce them from deadly to no cause for concern. The aliens however, have never been exposed to any virus from Earth. So once they began to breathe our air and drink our water they all got sick and died off.

It's just like the narration says, "After 10,000 years, we have earned the right to live on this planet."
seraphjei 07-03-2005 02:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
quote:

Here's how it works:

The common cold can kill you if your immune system isn't strong enough. Since the common cold and several other viruses have been around so long, our immune systems are strong enough to reduce them from deadly to no cause for concern. The aliens however, have never been exposed to any virus from Earth. So once they began to breathe our air and drink our water they all got sick and died off.

It's just like the narration says, "After 10,000 years, we have earned the right to live on this planet."

That spolier was very well said and i agree aompletley. I read the book a few years back but somehow the book and movie doesnt wuite conenct for me. But then again its been like what four years? i dont remember a damn thing.

The movie was very well made i must say. But first thing is first. If you get annoyed by litte girls scremaing every ten minutes then please please please. do NOT go see this movie. Also if you dont want to see tom cruise in an emotional and for some parts a mental breakdown then dont go. But i think they way the portrayed Cruise in the beginingg of the movie as a irresponsible cocky guy and turning into this loving father is quite extraordinary. Dakota brings in the scremaing a lot more than any movie i've seen her in. But then again its her ROLE to be that annoying scremaing girl that the main protaganist HAS to protect. Emotions run high almost everwhere as we see the grim nature of humans under "life-or-death" situations. I sat there in AWE of how humans can be so primal when we are faced in the presence of death. More impoartantly the way aliens deal with taking out human kind is VERY intresting.

one thing that did bug the crap outa me was that WHY did these "martians" invade Earth in the first place. If memory serves the book stated it was from the need of resources but usual thats my own imagination making the story as i go. After all even in the movie aliens starting "harvesting" human blood. And those red tentacles which i was assuming was full of blood was everywhere, sorta like a plant. So were these aliens using human blood as sorta like a fertilizer and the Earth as soil to make these red root things?
Travis Bickle 07-03-2005 03:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei
So were these aliens using human blood as sorta like a fertilizer and the Earth as soil to make these red root things?

Not to be an ass or anything, but that was clearly shown in the movie. Hell, Tim Robbins even said so.
Captain Maw 07-03-2005 07:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei

one thing that did bug the crap outa me was that WHY did these "martians" invade Earth in the first place. If memory serves the book stated it was from the need of resources but usual thats my own imagination making the story as i go. After all even in the movie aliens starting "harvesting" human blood. And those red tentacles which i was assuming was full of blood was everywhere, sorta like a plant. So were these aliens using human blood as sorta like a fertilizer and the Earth as soil to make these red root things?

Well, in a Spielberg interview, he thinks personally, they invaded because they wanted our water. a lot of wars are fought over recourses, land, etc. so, maybe it's water: seeing how the red planet is so devoid of it (other than the ice caps).
Lupin IV 07-03-2005 04:13 PM
Maybe I'm just missing the big picture here...but...If they wanted our water, why didn't they just take it when they first arrived, instead of planting those big machines Confused I never read the book btw.
Jonny Axehandle 07-03-2005 08:34 PM
quote:
Maybe I'm just missing the big picture here...but...If they wanted our water, why didn't they just take it when they first arrived, instead of planting those big machines Confused I never read the book btw.

Because no one would want to watch a movie about aliens landing in the ocean with a giant vaccum, sucking up enough water, and leaving.
Lupin IV 07-03-2005 08:42 PM
Shocked PFFFT!!!! I WOULD!! Shocked