Episode 6 Discussion: "Alchemy Exam"

Shredder 12-11-2004 10:53 PM
I hope more people will start to get into this show, tonight's is a great episode! There's a lot going on as Ed and Al prepare for the exam, meet some interesting new people, and finally take the test. But how will they pass? More comedy, some action, and some interesting character development in this ep. Enjoy. Smile )
R.Jesse 12-11-2004 11:05 PM
IM WATCHING IT .........right now
Sephiroth 12-11-2004 11:34 PM
Tonights episode was really good. I liked getting to meet Hughes' family, even though I could tell the baby was going to be born that day. It was good to see how Eds powers started to develop into what they are when we first see him. Plus, a few important people show up in this episode. The guy with the Eye Patch for example. Having read the manga, I thought it was going to be a while before Tucker showed up, but I'm glad they put him in early. I want his story over and done with quick. Anywho, all around good episode, it was funny and action packed at the same time, a rare and beautiful thing.
Naraku 12-11-2004 11:46 PM
I thought it was fairly good, still don't know whats going on but seems pretty cool this episode. Liked it more than the one with the train and such so I might keep watching it more often.
Green_Bird 12-12-2004 12:00 AM
The whole birth feasco thing was funny....I couldn't stop laughting Laughing ! Tonights was good. It gave indepth info on where he found out he had the power to use Alchemy without a circle. I also like how in the series that it started out in the present, then with 'Mother' Dove strait into their pasts. Well I guess that's BONES for ya....They like to do flashbacks alot. But FMA is diffrent.....it gives full episodes dedicated to their pasts, not just segments in an episode.
Dork 12-12-2004 01:01 AM
I haven't been able to get around to watching Fullmetal Alchemist under last thursday. I fell in love immediently.

I loved tonight's episode. Slow and thoughtful with some nice little action at the end. Too bad I'm going to be out of town all next week. I'm going to miss episode 7 and the rerun. And my DVD recorder's been rather evil as of late, so even if I set the thing to record it I've only got about a 70 percent chance of getting it.

muchlove
-dork
evanASF27 12-12-2004 01:47 AM
hmmm...so this explains why he can use alchemy without a transmutation circle....yes yes I see it now....

this also proves that Al and Ed get stuck in some of the strangest situations I've ever seen O_o;;;
Wingnut 12-12-2004 02:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
hmmm...so this explains why he can use alchemy without a transmutation circle....yes yes I see it now....

this also proves that Al and Ed get stuck in some of the strangest situations I've ever seen O_o;;;

No kidding. First the dog, then dinner and Ed hopeing that the dog didn't mistake Al for a fire hydrent ie. use him for a toilet. A very interesting 4 month span of time there.
BabyGhia 12-12-2004 02:32 AM
I'm really getting into this show. It has a little of everything... humor, seriousness and action.. all in one.

I figured Gracia would have the baby. I really like how they handled that. Very funny. Thought it was sad that Al ended up not taking the exam. But understandable. Still interesting how people view Al.

BabyGhia
Zopwx2 12-12-2004 12:23 PM
At times I wanted to fastforward through the baby/birthday stuff and get straigt to the exam.

The exam it self was pretty ineresting, although that 3 legged chair wasn't. Tongue

One thing I got out of this episode is how much his little brother misses his body. and that he can't feel /taste/smell/ eat all of that, and it shows how his big brother wants to make it up to him so badly.

OH! and they never elaborated on that chimera.
Ano Hito 12-12-2004 02:00 PM
I had a feeling it was a foreshadowy plot device.

Recall: 1st ep - says it (making new animals out of old ones) is the most twisted evil alchemy there was.

Recall: The chimera died soon after it was made.

So, I speculate that we're going to find out why it's so twisted soon.
Dork 12-12-2004 11:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach: [Zopwx2]

One thing I got out of this episode is how much his little brother misses his body. and that he can't feel /taste/smell/ eat all of that, and it shows how his big brother wants to make it up to him so badly.

Yeah, I'm glad they included that. I was actually for something like this to happen.

I figure there's something freaky going on with that girl. Unfortunately I didn't tape the episode but I kinda think they might have done some quick close ups of her at odd 'mystery' points during the episode.

muchlove
-dork
darktacy 12-14-2004 08:55 AM
i totally watched it saturday. i just haven't had a chance to get on and say what i thought about it. my lil sis kept changing the channel so im sad cuz i can't see the replay on thrusday (we dont have cable at my mom's) and i missed the part right before the baby was born. but it was a great episode. i agree. ^^ definitely worth staying up for ^ . ~
Barrin 12-14-2004 11:39 AM
"Oh no, it coming!"
"What, the tea?"
"No, the baby. (moron)"

I'm still giggling over that now. A well balanced episode. Well done, Bones. I wonder if any of them are aware of Star Trek jokes in that studio? "I'm a doctor, not an artist." That sort of joke.
Schoolie 12-14-2004 06:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Barrin
"Oh no, it coming!"
"What, the tea?"
"No, the baby. (moron)"

I thought that was a great scene too. I don't know if we see more of Hodge's wife, but they're a great couple.

The whole thing with Al not being able to continue with the exam was interesting (and Mustang not expecting it). This episode had a lot to it - studying, the family where they're staying, Hodge's family and birth, and the exam.

Great to see where this is going. I get a Trigun vibe with this one - and it's not just due to the super-deformed expressions from time to time. This one has had a few more serious scenes in it early (as opposed to Trigun which started almost strictly comedy), but they both seem to head toward a more mysterious/sinister/serious end.
Xel 12-14-2004 07:12 PM
Cute ep.

And god, I heart Al. So so much. <3

I REALLY wish I had all of this series on hand so I could watch it at my leisure... Neutral
Wingnut 12-14-2004 07:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
quote:
Originally posted by Barrin
"Oh no, it coming!"
"What, the tea?"
"No, the baby. (moron)"

I thought that was a great scene too. I don't know if we see more of Hodge's wife, but they're a great couple.

The whole thing with Al not being able to continue with the exam was interesting (and Mustang not expecting it). This episode had a lot to it - studying, the family where they're staying, Hodge's family and birth, and the exam.

Great to see where this is going. I get a Trigun vibe with this one - and it's not just due to the super-deformed expressions from time to time. This one has had a few more serious scenes in it early (as opposed to Trigun which started almost strictly comedy), but they both seem to head toward a more mysterious/sinister/serious end.

Yes, for a face of armor Al certanly is expressive. Also his name is Huges, not Hodge
Schoolie 12-15-2004 11:16 PM
My bad. (Don't know where I got Hodges?!)
COHugh 12-16-2004 02:14 AM
I'm liking this show the more I watch it. From Al's over-the-top reactions to Ed's confession, it was just a great episode!!! I wish its next-door neighbor would take some notes in character development...

HINT HINT GitS: SAC, I'm looking at you!
Madrona 12-16-2004 08:37 PM
Just a reminder that the replay is tonight. Just in case you missed the Saturday showing like I did....

**curses at Tivo/Directv receiver** Evil

So yes, I have been avoiding this thread like the plague.
Expect my two cents tomorrow or tonight

Madrona