Computer/Technical Help

Krang 01-07-2005 12:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
Okay so, I finaly desided to download ad-aware for my computer. I found something odd. Right now it's Quarantine, But it picked up a regestry thing that the Spysweeper never picked up. it was an alexa thing. I'm just wondering since this is a new program to me, is it okay to delete it? My guess is it's fine and I should delete it. I'm just here to make sure. Here's the log thing from it:

ALEXA
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
obj[0]=RegValue : .DEFAULT\software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions\cmdmapping "{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}"

Yeah, that entry enables Alexa to track the browsing habits of your computer (what URLs you visit, etc.), so I would recommend deleting it, especially since removing it won't do any harm.

quote:
Also what would cause my mom's computer's HD light stay on, go off for a nano-second, or blink but stay on? Because this just happened after we got it back from the shop yesterday.

The most likely cause is that the cable from the HDD light to the motherboard is not connected properly, although it could also be a problem with the hard drive itself.
R and D 01-07-2005 09:45 AM
how do you burn dvds? is it the same process as burning cds? Confused
Asirt 01-07-2005 09:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Baby Fwuffles
how do you burn dvds? is it the same process as burning cds? Confused

Between burning DVDs and burning CDs, both have the same process of burning. However, you need a burning program that supports DVD burning, such as Nero. Also, if you don't have this already, you will also need a DVD-RW drive. You can get them for a affordable price these days. Other than that, it's about the same. Of course, someone who have burned DVD's will be able to answer that better than I can. This is just what I know.
Dingo 01-10-2005 07:51 PM
I have a hijack this log i need someone to look at. Can anyone tell me if there is anything i need to get rid of thats on it. What should i fix? And all that other stuff.

edit: attachment removed, thanks Zola.
Zola 01-10-2005 08:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo
I have a hijack this log i need someone to look at. Can anyone tell me if there is anything i need to get rid of thats on it. What should i fix? And all that other stuff.

Just wondering, why are you running two antivirus programs? If one expired and you got another, you should remove the one you aren't using through add/remove programs under control panel

Run hijack this and remove these:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)

O16 - DPF: {E9F4DF12-E82E-4177-8B82-ED7355ED4362} (DownloadX Control) - http://j.cdrdev.com/wkrc/downloadX.ocx
Dingo 01-10-2005 09:14 PM
ZOLA TO THE RESCUE!

And know i should, get rid of the old virus scanner, but the other one is tempoarary till my dad renew's McAfee.
Benjamin 01-13-2005 12:56 PM
The video card on my computer is gone, I have been dragging it out way past the normal time that i should, the video card was made in 1998 so its time we get a new one, the screen isn't showing up at all, I am using the school computers from now untill i can afford to buy one for the computer, if anyone has any sugguestions on where to buy one for a gateway computer from 99 please tell me, I know, I am out of date, but affording a whole new computer is out of the question right now.
Travis Bickle 01-13-2005 01:01 PM
First of all, this belongs in the computer/technical help thread. I suggest a mod or admin merges this with it.

Second of all, in order to tell you what you can or cannot use, we need the specs on the pc. Gateway made a million different kinds of pcs back then, each different from the other, so just saying a Gateway PC from 99 won't help.
Green_Bird 01-14-2005 01:51 PM
Thank Goodness for this thread....With out it. the main forum would be flooded with me cussing out this stupid computer.

Now....I would like to know why does the font size (View > text size) Spontaniusly change from medium to like smallest or largest? Because I don't mess with it. Never did.
Wingnut 01-14-2005 01:55 PM
quote:
Thank Goodness for this thread....With out it. the main forum would be flooded with me cussing out this stupid computer.

Now....I would like to know why does the font size (View > text size) Spontaniusly change from medium to like smallest or largest? Because I don't mess with it. Never did.

What program are you talking about? Is this in regular windows or is this in your browser? Also what browser are you useing?
Green_Bird 01-14-2005 03:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
quote:

What program are you talking about? Is this in regular windows or is this in your browser? Also what browser are you useing?

Browser, and I'm useing IE6
A Clockwork Tomato 01-14-2005 03:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin
The video card on my computer is gone, I have been dragging it out way past the normal time that i should, the video card was made in 1998 so its time we get a new one, the screen isn't showing up at all, I am using the school computers from now untill i can afford to buy one for the computer, if anyone has any sugguestions on where to buy one for a gateway computer from 99 please tell me, I know, I am out of date, but affording a whole new computer is out of the question right now.

Are you sure it's the card and not the monitor or cable? If the picture is dim, it's probably the monitor. If wiggling the cable helps, it's the cable or maybe you need to screw down the cable better.

But before you do anything else, you might try this: Open up the computer case, blow out all the dust bunnies, remove the graphics card, and put it back in again. If it was making a poor connection, that might fix everything.

It's probably an AGP card, and just about any AGP graphics card ought to work in your system. I would buy a cheap one, such as an nVidea GeForce2/MX 400 card, which used to be hot but is now generic.

I buy most of my computer stuff from Computer Gate, though I admit their customer services isn't anything to write home about. Buy stuff with a brand name you've heard of before unless you are a cheapskate gambler like me.

This one might do the trick.
Krang 01-15-2005 01:34 AM
quote:

One explanation I can think of is that you or someone else using the computer (if it's shared) are accidentally hitting one of the shortcut keys to make the text larger or smaller. In Mozilla, it's CTRL & - and CTRL & +, not sure about IE though. Another shortcut is moving the scroll wheel while the CTRL key is held down. If your mouse has a scroll wheel, it could also be possible that one of your CTRL keys is stuck, so you might want to check that also.
Mike 01-15-2005 01:57 AM
That happened to me once. One day all the fonts, in every Windowed program, even on the Desktop icons, was huge. Turned out my dad changed it because he was having trouble reading the itty bitty text that was there before.
Green_Bird 01-15-2005 12:28 PM
Well that may exsplane why in paint that my scroll bar moves and I end up getting a line though what ever I'm doing at the time and it won't go away.

But Here's something, I went to a site, and for some reason, my curser kept reapearing and dissapearing and going on and off.....what does that mean?I closed out the window and did Ad-aware and I'm doing a virus scan. and nothings showing up, but on the ad-aware, I had a lot of tracking cookies. So what would cause that?

EDIT: Aww Crap. Two freaking windows closed on me when I didn't even click the X again! What I was doing this time was working on my forums and I clicked a browse button and it just closed on me for some reason. Just like that time with the Big O title maker! I hate this thing!!!!!!!!
R.Smith 01-15-2005 11:14 PM
Ok, this might just be nothing but it is getting annoying. Everytime I go to check my email on hotmail, or open msn messenger, I have to re-type my password. I've done a virus scan using trendmicro's free online scan, and it found LMU.exe and TopJ TumeDiA.DR. I deleted both files, but I still am having to type in my password.

I ran hijackthis, and here's the log. Is there anything causing this?

Oh yeah, I got three errors when I scanned:

quote:
An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modRegistry_IniGetString(sFile=win.ini, sSection=windows, sValue=load)
Error #62 - Input past end of file

Please email me at merijn@spywareinfo.com, reporting the following:
* What you were doing when the error occurred
* How you can reproduce the error
* A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible

Windows version: Windows NT 5.01.2600
MSIE version: 6.0.2900.2180
HijackThis version: 1.98.2

This message has been copied to your clipboard.

quote:
An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modRegistry_IniGetString(sFile=win.ini, sSection=windows, sValue=run)
Error #55 - File already open

quote:
An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modMain_CheckOther1Item()
Error #55 - File already open

Krang 01-16-2005 12:58 AM
quote:
But Here's something, I went to a site, and for some reason, my curser kept reapearing and dissapearing and going on and off.....what does that mean?I closed out the window and did Ad-aware and I'm doing a virus scan. and nothings showing up, but on the ad-aware, I had a lot of tracking cookies. So what would cause that?

I've seen that before on older computers when browsing a site with lots of flashy animations or other graphics-intensive activity. This just means that your graphics card is struggling to keep up with the page, so the only way to fix that would be to upgrade.

quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith
Ok, this might just be nothing but it is getting annoying. Everytime I go to check my email on hotmail, or open msn messenger, I have to re-type my password. I've done a virus scan using trendmicro's free online scan, and it found LMU.exe and TopJ TumeDiA.DR. I deleted both files, but I still am having to type in my password.

Try clearing your browser's cookies, then closing the browser and opening it again. Before doing this, keep in mind that you will need to log in again at each site that you asked to save your password, so I wouldn't recommend this if you're not sure that you remember all of your passwords. If you're not using IE, try clearing its cookies also in case that's affecting MSN Messenger.

quote:
I ran hijackthis, and here's the log. Is there anything causing this?

It doesn't look like there's any spyware on your computer, but you can remove these unnecessary entries to speed up your startup a little:

quote:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O16 - DPF: {C432C4BD-3566-411C-8F3C-E5E0D3AE5D33} (CBrowser Class) - http://msltv.multicastmedia.com/common/mbrowser/MINIBrowser.CAB

Also, go to Control Panel > QuickTime, and under "Browser Plug-in" uncheck the "QuickTime system tray icon". Then, start up RealPlayer, go to View > Preferences, and disable the Start Center.

One more thing, it appears that the Yahoo Companion toolbar is partially installed. I would recommend uninstalling it through the Control Panel, then reinstalling it if you want to keep it.

quote:
Oh yeah, I got three errors when I scanned:

It looks like the file "win.ini" in C:\Windows may be corrupt. See if there's a file called "win.000" in your Windows directory (or "win.001", "win.002", etc.), and if there is, delete win.ini and rename the file with the highest number (i.e., the most recent backup) to "win.ini".
R.Smith 01-16-2005 01:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:

Try clearing your browser's cookies, then closing the browser and opening it again. Before doing this, keep in mind that you will need to log in again at each site that you asked to save your password, so I wouldn't recommend this if you're not sure that you remember all of your passwords. If you're not using IE, try clearing its cookies also in case that's affecting MSN Messenger.

Hm, I cleared both Firefox and IE's cookies, but I'm now getting this message when I try to login ""Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked." So maybe it's hotmail/msn? Oh yes, I should mention that it seems to be either redirecting to a lot of sites, or going back and forth, when I enter the hotmail.com url.

quote:
Also, go to Control Panel > QuickTime, and under "Browser Plug-in" uncheck the "QuickTime system tray icon". Then, start up RealPlayer, go to View > Preferences, and disable the Start Center.

When I opened QT, I didn't see an option for that, all that was there was for setting the connection speed.

And when I opened up RealPlayer, and went to Preferences, I looked in everything, but there wasn't an option to disable the start center.

quote:
One more thing, it appears that the Yahoo Companion toolbar is partially installed. I would recommend uninstalling it through the Control Panel, then reinstalling it if you want to keep it.

I uninstalled that (didn't want it in the first place), but when I opened up the control panel I got this message: "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl."

quote:
It looks like the file "win.ini" in C:\Windows may be corrupt. See if there's a file called "win.000" in your Windows directory (or "win.001", "win.002", etc.), and if there is, delete win.ini and rename the file with the highest number (i.e., the most recent backup) to "win.ini".

Well, I looked and I found Win.ini, but I wasn't able to find win.000 or anything like that.
Green_Bird 01-16-2005 01:25 AM
quote:
quote:

I've seen that before on older computers when browsing a site with lots of flashy animations or other graphics-intensive activity. This just means that your graphics card is struggling to keep up with the page, so the only way to fix that would be to upgrade.

I think it was upgraded by the computer guys when they fixed it the last time. And it never did that before. it was accualy going invisable! And it was on my old forums for my wolf's rain site (They were hyperboards) , that's what made me think that it was a virus or something like that that could have been downloading unknown to me, but the scans came up nothing.

And could the window closing on it's own be conected some how? Probaly not. But just wanted to make sure.
Krang 01-16-2005 04:40 AM
quote:
Hm, I cleared both Firefox and IE's cookies, but I'm now getting this message when I try to login ""Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked." So maybe it's hotmail/msn? Oh yes, I should mention that it seems to be either redirecting to a lot of sites, or going back and forth, when I enter the hotmail.com url.

Try this URL instead: http://login.passport.net/

quote:
When I opened QT, I didn't see an option for that, all that was there was for setting the connection speed.

Use the top dropdown box and pick "Browser Plug-in". You should see the option there.

quote:
And when I opened up RealPlayer, and went to Preferences, I looked in everything, but there wasn't an option to disable the start center.

Hmm, I'm using an old version of RealPlayer, so I'm not sure what the newer versions have. Still, there should be a setting to disable it, since it's a big resource hog. Try right-clicking on the RealPlayer icon in the taskbar and see if there's a way to disable it from there.

quote:
I uninstalled that (didn't want it in the first place), but when I opened up the control panel I got this message: "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl."

Go to Start > Run, type:
msconfig
and press Enter. On the Startup tab, uncheck ipmon32 and apply the changes. This should remove that problem.

quote:
Well, I looked and I found Win.ini, but I wasn't able to find win.000 or anything like that.

In that case, see if you can restore it from the install CD, or you can just copy this text and paste it into win.ini, replacing the existing contents:
code:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29:
30:
31:
32:
33:
34:
; for 16-bit app support
[fonts]
[extensions]
[mci extensions]
[files]
[Mail]
MAPI=1
[MCI Extensions.BAK]
aif=MPEGVideo
aifc=MPEGVideo
aiff=MPEGVideo
asf=MPEGVideo2
asx=MPEGVideo2
au=MPEGVideo
ivf=MPEGVideo2
m1v=MPEGVideo
m3u=MPEGVideo2
mp2=MPEGVideo
mp2v=MPEGVideo
mp3=MPEGVideo2
mpa=MPEGVideo
mpe=MPEGVideo
mpeg=MPEGVideo
mpg=MPEGVideo
mpv2=MPEGVideo
snd=MPEGVideo
wax=MPEGVideo2
wm=MPEGVideo2
wma=MPEGVideo2
wmp=MPEGVideo2
wmv=MPEGVideo2
wmx=MPEGVideo2
wvx=MPEGVideo2

quote:
I think it was upgraded by the computer guys when they fixed it the last time. And it never did that before. it was accualy going invisable! And it was on my old forums for my wolf's rain site (They were hyperboards) , that's what made me think that it was a virus or something like that that could have been downloading unknown to me, but the scans came up nothing.

Oh, if the problem wasn't there before, then it sounds like something different than what I initially thought. Try updating your video drivers and see if that fixes it.

quote:
And could the window closing on it's own be conected some how? Probaly not. But just wanted to make sure.

It's hard to say what's causing that since it seems to be randomly happening. Does this happen after your computer has been running for a long time?