Computer/Technical Help

Zola 12-29-2004 01:27 PM
There's a program you can get that I highly recommend, it's called MaxMem. What it does is put things that aren't active into a file, thus freeing up RAM.

We used to use it on Win98 all the time and it really made a difference. You can set it to clear automatically, but even better, you can also right click it and tell it "clear now"!

The other thing I advise is going to be a bit time consuming but will be worth it.

First of all, go through all your programs in add/remove programs in control panel. If there is something there you are not using, remove it!

Second, go through all the programs you do use and check out your preferences for any that do automatic updates.

See, a lot of software companies try to make it easy on you by setting it up so your programs will update for themselves. The problem is, especially in an older machines, this sucks up resources because the program checks every so often to see if it needs to update (some will do it once an HOUR!). You can update most of these manually and don't need something running in the background at all!

Real Player is a BIG offender, not only does it check constantly, it also runs what it calls the "start center". Supposedly, this makes it open instantly, but you know, it was using THREE PERCENT of my computer's resources, which is ridiculous. So go into the preferences and turn that stupid thing OFF--believe me, it only takes a few seconds to load without it--faster than if you were running the stupid thing.

Look on your taskbar to the right. You want to have as few icons as possible, because every single one of them represents a background process. While you want to leave your anti-virus alone, of course, you will be astonished at how many of these you can get rid of.

Your computer will run a lot better Smile
pen1300 12-29-2004 02:32 PM
LOL. This is interesting, Green_Bird how both of us have decided to FINALLY tack care of our mom's computers (which seem to be problematic). Though, I have plans to check my comptuer when I get back to school.

Anyway, the point of my post: a good deal of my spyware has been behaving itself, but I still have problems SO, here is a zip of the .log and .txt of the HijackThis! Log. Hope I did that right.

Later,
Pen1300

EDIT: Attachment removed. Problem fixed...we thinkTongue
Zola 12-29-2004 03:08 PM
All right, Pen.

Before doing anything, you want to hit ctrl alt delete to bring up the task manager.

End the following processes (on the process tab)

WINSERVAD.EXE
WINSERVSUIT.EXE

Then run Hijack This! and delete the following items:

O2 - BHO: PowerSearch - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-A3FA-F161A787AD2D} - C:\PROGRA~1\POWERS~1\TOOLBAR\PWRSMND1\PWRSMND1.DLL

O2 - BHO: LocalNRDObj Class - {00320615-B6C2-40A6-8F99-F1C52D674FAD} - C:\WINDOWS\LOCALNRD.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install (Why?)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [satmat] C:\WINDOWS\SATMAT.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows ServeAd] C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINDOWS SERVEAD\WINSERVAD.EXE

O4 - Startup: Introducing Media Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Media Manager\SPLASHA.EXE (Why?)

O16 - DPF: {15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://static.windupdates.com/cab/ClickY.../bridge-c18.cab

Once you have deleted these item, run spybot and adaware to finish the cleanup.

Last but not least, make sure these folders no longer exist (and if they do, delete them:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINDOWS SERVEAD

C:\PROGRAM FILES\POWERSEARCH

C:\Program Files\Search Relevancy

Make sure your spybot innoculation program is up to date, and also do as I suggested in the earlier post with updating your programs to stop the auto-updates, get rid of unnecessary taskbar programs and remove any unused programs.

Your computer should run a lot better after this! Smile
Green_Bird 12-29-2004 08:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
LOL. This is interesting, Green_Bird how both of us have decided to FINALLY tack care of our mom's computers (which seem to be problematic). Though, I have plans to check my comptuer when I get back to school.

Yeah ^_^ ....She hasn't updated the thing since '99 >_< !

Well there is more problems with her's now....For a while now it hasn't froze any time anywhere since just about before Christmas. Now it stick again. It even stuck on Defrag! So we had to turn it off and she has to restart it now because nothing would move. Now there have also been loud clicking noises coming from it. She keeps useing it even if I tell her not to, I guess she doesn't like the fact that I'm a kid bossing her around, even if it is for her own good. But what would be causeing that if it isn't the hard drive?
COHugh 12-29-2004 09:16 PM
To be honest, I didn't read the whole discussion of GB's computer probs, but to me it sounds like the hard drive is going bad. Oh Well My mom's old Packard Hell started doing this right before it bit the dust and it was due to a faulty hard drive...

A faulty Packard Bell product? Who'da thunk?
pen1300 12-30-2004 09:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
quote:

Yeah ^_^ ....She hasn't updated the thing since '99 >_< !

Well there is more problems with her's now....For a while now it hasn't froze any time anywhere since just about before Christmas. Now it stick again. It even stuck on Defrag! So we had to turn it off and she has to restart it now because nothing would move. Now there have also been loud clicking noises coming from it. She keeps useing it even if I tell her not to, I guess she doesn't like the fact that I'm a kid bossing her around, even if it is for her own good. But what would be causeing that if it isn't the hard drive?

My mom knows I know more than her about computers so she doesn't mind. But...tell you the truth, somehow this spyware problem is my fault. I don't know WHERE I went, but those folders Zola mentioned (I found them and wanted to delete them) are dated Dec. 20, which means it's been on there since I got home.

About your defrag, was it the first time you ran it in AGES? It will seem to get stuck, and even run backwards (I've had it say 10% but then start over). If it's doing that, just let it go overnight while you sleep. Hopefully by morning it will have defraged. Your other option is to reboot and run defrag ASAP. I forget how I solved that problem when my computer wouldn't defrag. Now, if your whole computer freezes with Defrag, that's not good.

*DARN IT! MY CONNECTION WAS JUST CUT!*

Oh...so the loud clunking noise that happens VERY OCCASIONALLY for this computer means the computer may be dying...that's not good, but it is about three years old I guess. Last time I had a harddrive die, it got stuck in scan disk and that's when I first saw Safe Mode. No virius (the computer guy says), it just died.

Zola (maybe I'll see you on IM) I can't end those tasks. I've tried before. I'm thinking I might have to run into Safe mode to do that. Would that be ok? (And I all ready started looking for some of the "auto-update" tasks that I could end after you said that to Green_Bird).

Thanks!
Pen1300
Zola 12-30-2004 12:12 PM
quote:

Zola (maybe I'll see you on IM) I can't end those tasks. I've tried before. I'm thinking I might have to run into Safe mode to do that. Would that be ok? (And I all ready started looking for some of the "auto-update" tasks that I could end after you said that to Green_Bird).

Pen, when you say you can't end them, what do you mean? Did you look on the processes tab (not the main tab that shows what's currently open)?

Safe mode will work, and there is another way you can end them. I was reluctant to tell this not because it will hurt your computer, but because entirely too many people learn to do this, use it as a way of stopping things, and then do absolutely nothing else. It's very important to complete the cleanup!

go to start-->run and type msconfig

Click the startup tab and look through it. uncheck the boxes that run those programs, I can't say how they will be named, but you can likely figure it out just by looking at the list.

Restart your computer and check to see if they are running. It should have done the trick.

Then you can finish your cleanup.
pen1300 12-30-2004 03:22 PM
quote:
Pen, when you say you can't end them, what do you mean? Did you look on the processes tab (not the main tab that shows what's currently open)?

When I meant I couldn't end them, I realized that I couldn't end them as long as I was online. They did end when I was not connected.

I should have clarified something else: I'm working with a Windows 98 computer. I didn't know if that would change the list above at all? (I knew what you were talking about though, I do work with XP computers).

When I do remove these programs, should I run in safe mode or would it be all right to do so in normal mode?

Hopefully I will see you on IM, because this morning, I had about five new spyware programs show up in my running processes (when I went to end WinServAd). I have a feeling I will have to clean up with HiJackThis! again later.

Thanks!
Pen1300
A Clockwork Tomato 12-30-2004 06:53 PM
With Win98, the basic rule is "reboot the machine at lunchtime and turn it off at night." If this makes your problems mostly go away, you're doing as well as can be expected.
pen1300 12-31-2004 09:41 AM
I think I've got the spyware straightened out [for now]! My next step is to really start cleaning the machine out, but I think I can do that on my own. Tongue

Thank you to all who helped me out! I think I learned a few things and I hope that I can use the knowledge to help someone else (probably will help at work...) somedayBig Grin .

Thanks again!Big Grin
Pen1300
Dingo 01-02-2005 09:14 PM
I have a err a... networking question. Is there a program out there that can tell me what ip each device in the network has. It's driving me crazy and i would really like to know.
Green_Bird 01-02-2005 09:33 PM
Sorry Dingo, can't help you there. But, this is for my computer, an icon on the task bar keeps dissapearing. Right now it's not there. It was never there today, yesterday or whenever. It's the one for the image card I do believe. I have always hadd problems with missing icons on the task bar, but there was alway a space where it should have been (This was a while back after I got my computer back from the shop, and when I had the fan problem) But now, there is no space for it anywhere it's like it wasn't even there! And yet the computer guy says I need it! But yet I don't have it! Go figure! Could my computer shut it down for some reason? (See attachement to see what I'm talking about.)

Also since my mom's computer has been in the shop, she has been useing mine. And it's getting to be really, really slow, I tried everything cleaning the cookies (it was quick, I haven't done it in awhile, I thought it would have taken more time because the temp files when I do that do.), temp files, defraging nothing helps! So what would be causeing that? because LJ is starting to act like her email did on her computer......
Krang 01-03-2005 03:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo
I have a err a... networking question. Is there a program out there that can tell me what ip each device in the network has. It's driving me crazy and i would really like to know.

On the Start Menu, click "Run," then type:

cmd

and click "OK." Once the Command Prompt opens, type:

ipconfig

and press Enter. This should give you a list of IPs for all devices on the network. If it doesn't, try this instead:

ipconfig /all

This also gives you detailed information about each network device.

quote:
Sorry Dingo, can't help you there. But, this is for my computer, an icon on the task bar keeps dissapearing. Right now it's not there. It was never there today, yesterday or whenever. It's the one for the image card I do believe. I have always hadd problems with missing icons on the task bar, but there was alway a space where it should have been (This was a while back after I got my computer back from the shop, and when I had the fan problem) But now, there is no space for it anywhere it's like it wasn't even there! And yet the computer guy says I need it! But yet I don't have it! Go figure! Could my computer shut it down for some reason? (See attachement to see what I'm talking about.)

Right click on the empty space on your desktop and pick "Properties." Select the "Settings" tab and click the "Advanced" button. There should be a tab there specific to your graphics card (it looks like an Intel device to me, so look for something with "Intel" on it). If there are more than one tab like this, pick the one that has to do with "options." There, you should see a checkbox that will enable or disable the tray icon. If you don't see the checkbox or the tab at all, try updating your display drivers by visiting the manufacturer's official site.

quote:
Also since my mom's computer has been in the shop, she has been useing mine. And it's getting to be really, really slow, I tried everything cleaning the cookies (it was quick, I haven't done it in awhile, I thought it would have taken more time because the temp files when I do that do.), temp files, defraging nothing helps! So what would be causeing that? because LJ is starting to act like her email did on her computer......

First, check for spyware and viruses. Make sure your definitions for both are up to date before scanning. Also, try uninstalling any excess programs running in the background (see Zola's post at the top of page 3 in this thread). Now reset your computer and see if it helps any. If it's still slow, post again and we'll help you look into the problem further.
Green_Bird 01-03-2005 10:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Right click on the empty space on your desktop and pick "Properties." Select the "Settings" tab and click the "Advanced" button. There should be a tab there specific to your graphics card (it looks like an Intel device to me, so look for something with "Intel" on it). If there are more than one tab like this, pick the one that has to do with "options." There, you should see a checkbox that will enable or disable the tray icon. If you don't see the checkbox or the tab at all, try updating your display drivers by visiting the manufacturer's official site..

You know....the funny thing is that....it's back. It's like One day it's not there then it is again then it's missing them comes back. That's what I wanted to know why it was doing that?

I can't really check for spyware. Seeing as how the one I used took off their free downloads. And I'm not really downloading both spybot and ad-ware just to get ad cookies out of my computer! And my virus defs update like everyday or so....but stuff does get past it sometimes....
Krang 01-03-2005 10:51 PM
quote:
You know....the funny thing is that....it's back. It's like One day it's not there then it is again then it's missing them comes back. That's what I wanted to know why it was doing that?

Hmm, I'm not completely sure why it would sometimes be there and sometimes not. My guess is that it's affected by the order that your programs start up when you start your computer. Maybe there's a conflict with another startup program? Try disabling any unnecessary startup programs (on the Start Menu, click "Run," type msconfig and click OK) and see if it affects whether or not the icon shows up.

quote:
I can't really check for spyware. Seeing as how the one I used took off their free downloads. And I'm not really downloading both spybot and ad-ware just to get ad cookies out of my computer! And my virus defs update like everyday or so....but stuff does get past it sometimes....

If you haven't checked for spyware lately, then that's probably the problem. If you only want to download one program, I would recommend Ad-Aware, since it seems to catch more than Spybot does.
YoruameBaroness 01-05-2005 03:09 PM
I have a small problem.

I tried to install my Sims Deluxe Edition game. Every time I try to start it, it simply shows the screen that says "The Sims Deluxe Edition" and then it disappears entirely and takes me back to my desktop. Why is it doing this and what can I do to make it stop? I really want to play my game . . .
braxton 01-05-2005 03:12 PM
The only thing i could say is that when u installed ur sim game, u prob installed it in a file where ur cant. Thats all i can think of.
madclarinet 01-05-2005 04:24 PM
If you're on 2000 or XP have a look at the Event Log (Control Panel|Administrative Tools) - Usually the application log has the information but check the others just to be sure.

If possible see if you can change the configuration of the program - sometimes you need change the graphics card to Hardware mode or vice versa.

Also you could try uninstalling the program, reboot the computer and then reinstall it.
Green_Bird 01-06-2005 08:21 PM
Okay so, I finaly desided to download ad-aware for my computer. I found something odd. Right now it's Quarantine, But it picked up a regestry thing that the Spysweeper never picked up. it was an alexa thing. I'm just wondering since this is a new program to me, is it okay to delete it? My guess is it's fine and I should delete it. I'm just here to make sure. Here's the log thing from it:

ALEXA
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
obj[0]=RegValue : .DEFAULT\software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions\cmdmapping "{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
Also what would cause my mom's computer's HD light stay on, go off for a nano-second, or blink but stay on? Because this just happened after we got it back from the shop yesterday.
Dingo 01-06-2005 08:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by YoruameBaroness
I have a small problem.

I tried to install my Sims Deluxe Edition game. Every time I try to start it, it simply shows the screen that says "The Sims Deluxe Edition" and then it disappears entirely and takes me back to my desktop. Why is it doing this and what can I do to make it stop? I really want to play my game . . .

Did you add any skins to it before you started playing? Or anything else?