Computer/Technical Help

Kittie heavenly6 12-17-2004 01:35 AM
Okay so I seem to be having Hard Drive problems.

I ocassionally have to run Norton Disc Doctor to fix my HDD's "Security Descriptors" section and it tells me there are bad clusters.

Now, could this be a virus? or should I worry about my HD dying?
Zola 12-17-2004 01:39 AM
How old is the hard drive? If it's more than a few years old, it is possible. (actually, it's possible at any time, just not as likely.)

If a full scan at trendmicro doesn't turn up anything, I would advise you to back up everything that you want to keep, and to do it quickly.

Be aware, guys. There is a virus right now that turns off the virus scanner's ability to detect it by excluding files of its type. If you have done a regular scan and the computer is still acting funny, it's well worth your while to do the online check.
Kittie heavenly6 12-17-2004 01:59 AM
Thanks Zola, I'll try that scan!

The HD is MAYBE a year old... I was hoping A HD this New wouldn't already have bad sectors and need replacing Frown

If it's a virus I can back up all my photos and songs and format I guess.

Edit:

Thanks Zola! Smile

That seems to have done it. the virus scan found the infected files and I was able to delete them in Safe Mode. Thanks for the help Smile
R and D 12-22-2004 04:18 PM
how do you save a large file such as my documents on a CD-R? Confused
The Baker St. Irregular 12-22-2004 06:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Baby Fwuffles
how do you save a large file such as my documents on a CD-R? Confused

Well, what I would do is make a copy of My Documents itself, or just copy all its files. Then, I would burn them onto the CD. There should not be a problem burning that all onto a CD unless it is just too big to fit on the CD.
Hobodoken 12-22-2004 08:11 PM
IF they are too big, you might be able to compress it enough with winrar or something of the sort.

[Edit: Thread merged with Computer/Technical Help thread. --Krang]
pen1300 12-26-2004 10:39 AM
Somehow, this computer (my mom's computer) ends up with the most problems. First it got a virus (which mind you is still lurking on here in the "Old Windows" file, but apparently is pretty dormant), and now I'm dealing with spyware. I've run Ad-Aware and Spybot multiple times and cleaned off what they've found. I've even run Stinger (which doesn't seem to do much). I plan to run another program (as soon as I pick it up from work since my disk is in my dorm, it is the CWShredder thingy), and I'm thinking of downloading Hijack This! ANYWAY, to my point, through my poking on the computer and the net, have discovered two Spyware programs on this computer:
~AdDestoryer
~WinServAd (can't find much info, just that it's Malware)

Which is the safest way to remove these badboys because they are REALLY screwing up the computer?

Also, how did they end up on this computer? Via IE (which I use because Netscape 7.2 won't download, yet another problem) or Via some website?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Pen1300
madclarinet 12-26-2004 02:20 PM
At the start of the thread Krang Suggests

AdAwareSE

and

Spybot

also a bit later Zola also suggests

Hijack This

All its usually worth downloading and installing two or all three of these as one may not get all the spyware.

If you can't get them to download then pm me and I'll email them to you.
Krang 12-27-2004 01:55 AM
I agree, and make sure your definitions are up to date before scanning. If you are still unable to remove them after scanning with both programs (with updated definitions), try Hijack This next. Use it to save a log, then attach the log here (zipped if possible).

quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
Also, how did they end up on this computer? Via IE (which I use because Netscape 7.2 won't download, yet another problem) or Via some website?

Some of the more common methods of getting spyware are through IE (since it's vulnerable to having unwanted programs installed) or by installing untrusted software (some of them install spyware along with the software, and others have the spyware embedded in them). If you can't install Netscape, I recommend Mozilla (includes a browser, email client, HTML composer, and chat client) or Firefox (includes just the browser).
Green_Bird 12-27-2004 11:05 AM
I hope this is the right place to ask this since this all seems to be spyware talk and questions. But I have a question not of that nature....this is about my mom's computer this time.....

She may have a really bad virus and/or her HD is about to die, but she and I have alot of saved pictures on there and we cant afford to loose them.....they're like one of a kind, no place has them that's still around! Well I guess my question would be would backing up only my documents and the folders in my documents and the folders in them, would that back up the virus (if any) too? Because she doesn't back up stuff, she likes to live dangerusly and it's going to be to late soon....so someone....please tell me....QUICK!
Asirt 12-27-2004 11:42 AM
Backing up files shouldn't be able to back up the virus as well. However, if you do not trust the files, then I would do a virus scan of the files, just to be sure that they aren't affected in any way. If you don't have a anti-virus program, then I would check using the online virus scan known as Trendmicro. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the virus being backed up along with your files.
Green_Bird 12-27-2004 11:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
Green_Bird, backing up files shouldn't be able to back up the virus as well. However, if you do not trust the files, then I would do a virus scan of the files, just to be sure that they aren't affected in any way. If you don't have a anti-virus program, then I would check using the online virus scan known as Trendmicro. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the virus being backed up along with your files.

Later,
Trisa

What about the pictures that are in those files....and the word docs? I have a feeling that those can't and won't get infected, but the computer guy keeps saying that if it is a virus, it will be backed up when they back it up....but we have to ask him about just backing up everything in my documents and stuff, because sometimes that guy only hears what he wants to hear -_- .....

We do have a virus scan, it just didn't pick anything up....and it's norton too! If I lost everything on there I would be saddened and really really deprested because all that's on there is like one of a kind, no site, anywhere, has it anymore...so I hope that doesn't happen....
Asirt 12-27-2004 12:03 PM
Unless the files you are going to back up is being effected in some way (can be checked by using a anti-virus scan program), the virus shouldn't be backed up with the files as well. Most viruses try to effect the operating system in general, but then again, viruses are becoming more and more advance these days, so this is not certain. At any rate, check to see if the files you are backing up truly have affected the computer in any way. I would check for spyware as well, as they are also known for doing nasty stuff like this. Good luck in backing up your files, nonetheless.
pen1300 12-27-2004 07:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
I agree, and make sure your definitions are up to date before scanning. If you are still unable to remove them after scanning with both programs (with updated definitions), try Hijack This next. Use it to save a log, then attach the log here (zipped if possible).

Ok, I came to this thread first. Thanks Krang for letting me know that I need to update those programs. I didn't realize that for some reason Embarrassed Sweatdrop and my mom just told me afterwards that she remembers our computer friend mentioning that.

Let's clear up some things (as apparently I did not get this across). I know SOME things on how to keep "junkware" away and at bay. SO, thusfar TODAY I ran:
  • Ad-Aware (updated)
  • SpyBot Search and Destory (updated)
  • CWShredder Client (updated)

Afterwards, I did run HiJack This! (after I installed some program like WinZip). I have a log, but I am not in the mood to have five people saying "I can read it," so I have yet to include the log.

One thing I just learned (reading an article in Newsweek), is that despite the fact I ran Ad-Aware, and removed two of the files, they can come back and install themselves. My one friend also just said something about some of them imbedding themselves in Windows files and the only way to ditch them is safe mode. Is there a way to do away with them completely or am I screwed?

Later,
Pen1300
Krang 12-28-2004 12:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
What about the pictures that are in those files....and the word docs? I have a feeling that those can't and won't get infected, but the computer guy keeps saying that if it is a virus, it will be backed up when they back it up....but we have to ask him about just backing up everything in my documents and stuff, because sometimes that guy only hears what he wants to hear -_- .....

Word documents can get infected with viruses, but it's not very likely (and usually those are different kinds of viruses than the ones that infect your system). But my suggestion is to back everything up anyway. Even in the worst-case scenario that you do end up backing up viruses along with your files, it's still better to have virus-infected files (which can usually be cleaned with an updated virus scanner) than to have no files at all. Once the files are on backup media, you can scan them for viruses from there and only move the clean ones to your new hard drive.

quote:
One thing I just learned (reading an article in Newsweek), is that despite the fact I ran Ad-Aware, and removed two of the files, they can come back and install themselves. My one friend also just said something about some of them imbedding themselves in Windows files and the only way to ditch them is safe mode. Is there a way to do away with them completely or am I screwed?

I'm sure that there will be a way to get rid of the spyware completely without having to reinstall Windows. Once I take a look at the log, I can help you figure out the source of the spyware so that you can remove it.
Zola 12-28-2004 02:24 AM
quote:

Some of them will reinstall themselves and there are two ways to do it. One is an embedded command to restore itself if it is missing files, and the other is via System restore.

What you do is reboot your computer and press F8 repeatedly as it starts up so that you get the menu choice to start in safe mode.

Let me explain the nature of safe mode. What safe mode does is load the bare essentials needed to run your computer--a video driver, the basic Windows System files and that's about it. It won't even load the internet and your cd drives unless you choose those options, which in this case you dont need.

This prevents the malware from loading at startup. If the malware isn't running, it won't reinstall itself, and your anti-spyware program can finish the job of removing the references to it.

While you are in safe mode, turn off system restore temporarily as well. This will clear all the save points so that you aren't inadvertantly saving a copy of the malware. Run your programs and reboot, and that *should* be enough to get you all cleaned out.
Green_Bird 12-28-2004 07:50 PM
Okay now here's another question....this one about my computer....

I tried to go to this site: http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/ . When I clicked it something strange happend, my computer sort of stuck, and wouldn't close out the window or do anything elce for that matter. Then it just un-stuck, Closed the window (I like clicked it 5 times to close  Mad   !) and that was that.....

Sure I had instances that the window sticks, but you could click it down on the task bar and click it back. But this time that didn't even do that! It was like it was frozen or something! I clicked the 'Show desk top' icon on the task bar, and that even stuck after I clicked it.

Then like I said....it all let go and closed and here I am now! What would cause that does anyone know?
Kittie heavenly6 12-28-2004 07:55 PM
Sounds like not enough Memory.
Like all of your system resources were used up.
Green_Bird 12-28-2004 08:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
Sounds like not enough Memory.
Like all of your system resources were used up.

I always wondered if this thing has a good RAM card. Because once on shut down I got color bars on the screen O_O ! But every time I ask the computer people to check and see, they just say it's fine and give it back to me!

And besides I'm only useing like 4.08 GB of a 14.5 GB HD. So the stuff that would normaly go to the memory has room if it needs to go there....but only 4.08 GB? That doesn't sound like my ram's damaged or bad or whatever. Because I would think there would be alot more there if it was....

Um....how do you free up memory anyway? Because I really think that my RAM's bad and I have one of the computers that had windows 2k that got bad memory cards (I remember reading that somewhere a long time ago....) and this thing thinks I have less then what I really have.....
Krang 12-29-2004 03:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
Um....how do you free up memory anyway? Because I really think that my RAM's bad and I have one of the computers that had windows 2k that got bad memory cards (I remember reading that somewhere a long time ago....) and this thing thinks I have less then what I really have.....

There are only two ways of freeing up memory on Windows 95/98/ME: Close any excess programs (such as the ones in the system tray that are not being used), or reset the computer. One major drawback of Windows 9x is that no matter how much RAM you have, there are a limited amount of "system resources" that get used up as you open and close programs. Once the resources get low, the computer runs sluggish and may even freeze up or crash. To solve this, you need to reset your computer on a regular basis (maybe even more than once a day depending on how often you use it). This is one of the main reasons why I upgraded from Windows 98...