Don't Panic!

noTomato 12-05-2004 08:29 AM
anyone ever read Douglas Adams Hitchhiker series?

I'm not sure if there was another movie already done though...but

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy comes out on May 6th 2005
http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/index.html
Pygmalion 12-05-2004 10:28 AM
I'm sure everyone who has seen the TV show will be there to compare. I know I will.

Pygmalion
Lady Tesser 12-05-2004 10:47 AM
Are they sure this will be done by May of next year?

Looking forward to it, anyway.
Travis Bickle 12-05-2004 02:35 PM
So f***ing sweet!

Mos Def is Zaphod! This is going to be an awesome movie!
madclarinet 12-05-2004 03:18 PM
Great - the movie is finally coming. Its been expected for almost 15 years.

Read the books, seen the series (got the DVD) and also got both radio series - I can't wait for the movie.

(Wonder how much longer I'll have to wait before it appears in the UK)
Alana Gabriel 12-05-2004 05:45 PM
WOnder how many people are gonna show up with towels? I will, for one...can't wait to see this movie...
Lynnet 12-12-2004 03:30 PM
I'm kind of hopeful...they worked pretty closely with Adams on the script I guess (which was part of the delay Frown )

I'm not really familiar with any of the actors except for Malkovitch and Martin Freeman...who was totally adorable in The Office Smile )

And Marvin's design looks like the Toonami bot...it's good news that the Jim Henson Workshop is doing the creatures.

*Crosses fingers and looks forward to more info*
Zopwx2 12-12-2004 03:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lynnet

*Crosses fingers and looks forward to more info*

http://imdb.com/title/tt0371724/
Tifaria 02-16-2005 08:55 PM
Trailer! With people in it!

Let the canon-griping begin!

Actually, I'm really looking forward to it. It seems like a pretty faithful interpretation-- and you have to keep in mind that every version so far (book, radio play, TV series, etc) has been different. I'm not picky about book to movie adaptations, personally, as you can only stick to the story so much within the allotted time, so.. I think it looks awesome. I'll be in line with my towel on opening day.
Travis Bickle 02-16-2005 09:00 PM
SWEET MOTHER OF...YES!

Can't wait till it comes out. I, too, will bear the towel on the movie line.
BabyGhia 02-16-2005 09:20 PM
*watches trailer*

Yep! I gotta see that! Looks great. I can tell that it's still going to have that great humor in it. Looking forward to it. Also looks like something I should see in the theater.

I'll probably forget the towel but gosh! That would be a nice touch. And awfully handy if I buy a soda and popcorn! Wink

BabyGhia

PS. And I just starting reading the book over. Great timing!

[edit: My 2,500th post!]
Pygmalion 02-17-2005 07:37 AM
Nice trailer! I think I've seen that quarry in several Doctor Who episodes. Big Grin I can see this is one movie we will be seeing in the theater.

Pygmalion
Lady Tesser 02-17-2005 12:33 PM
Despite my griping about canon vs. movie, I think I'll definitely enjoy it.

Bring on the Vogons - just let me get my towel, first!
Diverse Considerations 02-17-2005 01:26 PM
Oh man, I'm going to be camped out with towel in one hand and pan-galactic gargle blaster in the other. Hitchhiker's Guide is one hell of a trip and always tasteful. It's like getting your brain bashed in with a brick of gold wrapped in a lemon wedge...

Remember, everyone. 42

That is all.
Barafiel 02-18-2005 09:47 PM
There gonna have a hard time making it, many of the jokes I cant picture making sense visually Happy
noTomato 05-02-2005 06:03 PM
I SAW IT!!!!

"Oh no, he's got a towel! Runaway!"

omg, I haven't read the books since 7th grade, so I could barely remember everything. I remembered the bypass, the super computer and thing about the handkerchief and..........blah..................

wow, it was funny. I read in Wired that the other script writer added more "love" nastiness between Arther and Trillian after Adams died. And they did, it was a little too much.
Travis Bickle 05-02-2005 06:11 PM
Saw it opening night. Some dumbass girl about my age two rows ahead of me was screaming throughout the second half of the movie, so my friend matt and I started chucking stuff at her.

Overall, it was a great movie. They just missed a couple of things and altered the ending a bit.
Mugiwara Luffy 05-02-2005 07:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by noTomato
wow, it was funny. I read in Wired that the other script writer added more "love" nastiness between Arther and Trillian after Adams died. And they did, it was a little too much.

Ah so another person did that! That was the only part of the movie I had a problem with, otherwise it was great!

Quite hilarious. Go see it. And if you haven't read the books, shame on you!
Big Money 05-02-2005 07:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Sanji
quote:
Originally posted by noTomato

Ah so another person did that! That was the only part of the movie I had a problem with, otherwise it was great!

Quite hilarious. Go see it. And if you haven't read the books, shame on you!

Yeah, that and the fact that Eddie didn't sing were my only major complaints... It is otherwise a stellar movie.

... The thinking cap gag is great...
Darth Nat 05-02-2005 07:04 PM
I think this is a movie that should definitely be avoided if you haven't read the book... To be honest, a lot of the jokes just weren't as charming on the big screen as they were in the book, and the movie moves at such a breakneck pace that anyone not familiar with the book might get lost. I really enjoyed the parts where the Hitchhiker's Guide would explain things, though. Big Grin