Episode 5 Discussion- "Man with the Mechanical Arm"

Shredder 12-04-2004 10:18 PM
This episode introduces us a little more to a few important recurring characters. Although it might be a little confusing at first as far as who's who, it won't be at all as the series goes on and we find out more about each of them. I think it's a good episode with some pretty funny moments. Definitely stick around for next week,too, as we get into one of the first important mini-arcs. Enjoy! Smile )
Raven 12-04-2004 11:34 PM
Nice episode I must say... This series is far better than Ghost In a Shell. I liked how that Mustang fried the bad guy at the end, that was cool.
Green_Bird 12-05-2004 12:07 AM
It was good.....my mom wached it though and thought Hawkeye was a guy at first Sweatdrop .....But yeah. It was funny as always too....
Wingnut 12-05-2004 12:27 AM
Wait a sec. You two said that we would be back in the present, but clearly we are still in the past before Ed and Al became State Alchamists. Also according to the next episode preview we will remain in the past and see the trials the two boys had to go through.
(rant over) Those two guys freaking out over Al and fireing their guns and being hit by the ricochet right after eash other was classic. It is one of those "I tired to warn them, but would they listen? Nooooooo." moments. I am likeing this show more and more each week.
Hawkeye is definately a gal, and I personally like that one Major with the glasses, whose name escapes me right now, there were many new names to place with faces I can't remember them all. 3 majors, a warrent officer and Lt. Col. Mustang, who for some wierd reason I want to nickname Col. Mustard. And what FMA episode isn't complete with yet another person commenting on how short Ed is, espically compared to Al.
Green_Bird 12-05-2004 12:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Those two guys freaking out over Al and fireing their guns and being hit by the ricochet right after eash other was classic. It is one of those "I tired to warn them, but would they listen? Nooooooo." moments.

Oh yes....that was funny....I liked that moment Laughing ......

But my mom seems to think that girls in suits = guys......don't get me started on Integra Sweatdrop .....She thought she was a guy that got changed into a girl in the dubbed verson.....and I have no idea why But then.....she hates Hellsing anyway and doesn't want me waching it....But that still doesn't exsplane FMA though....she likes that one, and she doesn't mind me waching it! She knew that she was a girl after she started talking though....
Krang 12-05-2004 01:15 AM
quote:
Wait a sec. You two said that we would be back in the present, but clearly we are still in the past before Ed and Al became State Alchamists. Also according to the next episode preview we will remain in the past and see the trials the two boys had to go through.
(rant over)

Sorry about the misunderstanding, but actually, we don't return to the present time until the end of episode 9. The next few episodes cover events that happened when they were still 11 and 10 (as Shredder mentioned here).

quote:
Hawkeye is definately a gal, and I personally like that one Major with the glasses, whose name escapes me right now, there were many new names to place with faces I can't remember them all. 3 majors, a warrent officer and Lt. Col. Mustang, who for some wierd reason I want to nickname Col. Mustard.

Same here, I was a little confused by all the new characters when I first saw this episode also, but you'll get to know them better soon. The significant characters introduced were Mustang , Hawkeye , and Hughes , and the minor character was Falman . General Hakuro also appeared, but he doesn't show up too much more in the series (he might make one or two more appearances).
Sharpshooter005 12-05-2004 02:11 AM
quote:
don't get me started on Integra

I was COMPLETELY thrown the first time I watched that..yeah...funny I guess.

The whole..squad or whatever this episode introduces seem to be an interesting addition to the plot. Just when I'm convinced this show is going to become dull, it throws something in there that holds my interest.
Sephiroth 12-05-2004 08:20 AM
I liked this episode. It was far more light hearted than last Saturdays, and it had a bit more action. I also liked the new characters introduced. Mustang was really cool, especially when he fried that guy at the end. Hughes was cool too, but in an annoying kind of way. All in all, I thought it was a great episode, and I can't wait to see the next one.
darktacy 12-05-2004 11:51 AM
yeah! i saw it last night. could hardly keep my eyes open, but i saw it! i thought it was great. and the little girl... ^^ she was so cute. ah... and the flaming at the end. nothing says don't attack me like char-broiled skin ^ . ~ a great episode and i can't wait to see next weeks!
Schoolie 12-05-2004 12:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Sorry about the misunderstanding, but actually, we don't return to the present time until the end of episode 9. The next few episodes cover events that happened when they were still 11 and 10 (as Shredder mentioned here).

Not that I'm complaining, but why did they arrange the episodes this way? They could have started the series with Mother (#3) and then inserted the first two episodes chronologically, right? (Of course, there'd by minor changes, but still . . . ) Any reason for why they did it this way?

I'd say this is my favorite episode so far - fun action and neat to see the military characters - though "Mother" did a good job of setting everything up.
Wingnut 12-05-2004 01:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
quote:

Not that I'm complaining, but why did they arrange the episodes this way? They could have started the series with Mother (#3) and then inserted the first two episodes chronologically, right? (Of course, there'd by minor changes, but still . . . ) Any reason for why they did it this way?

I'd say this is my favorite episode so far - fun action and neat to see the military characters - though "Mother" did a good job of setting everything up.

I agree. I've seen this done before but never over so many episodes. V Gundam shows episode 1 which is accually more like episode 4, but eps 2-4 are really like 1-3 showing how we got to the point in episode 1. Point is I've seen it done before, but never on such a large number of episodes. Then again I suppose there is a lot to tell about Ed and Al's past and how they got to be the way they are.
Zopwx2 12-05-2004 01:47 PM
I liked this one alot more than last weeks.

It seems this mustang guy is quite a sneaky man, interesting to see them introduce all the personalities of the people.

The girl seems sort of a worryer who goes by the book, and the telephone dude seems very laid back.

More talk about wars and unstability, the state alchemists are obviously working for one side and not the other, so its definately true that they aren't going to be wanted everywhere.

Plus they talk about some sort of test coming up in the next episodes.
Jane 12-05-2004 04:27 PM
So... I'm starting to get the idea that alchemy is a law of equivalent exchange... and that Al and Ed really believed that was the one truth. Wink
BabyGhia 12-05-2004 09:40 PM
I think I'm getting a better idea of how the series is and I really like it. Mustang seems to be a rather interesting guy. Looking forward to next weeks.

I find it interesting how people react to Al. Not sure how I'd react if I saw him like that. But it was good to show that. It was also interesting how Ed and Hughes interacted. Walk the top of the train... LOL!

So we go back to the other time after Ep 9? Okay. You know, I really don't mind the flip in timelines. To start the show off with "Mother" wouldn't have really interested me. I felt that we did need to get to know Ed and Al before we learned all of that. Maybe it would have worked but it really doesn't bother me this way.

BabyGhia
Madrona 12-06-2004 02:45 AM
It's funny to see how eager Ed was to check in with Mustang at the beginning, and then his whole attitude toward him at the end. Definately not cowering now.

My husband and I were ROTFL at the whole Al ricochet incident. "Pleae don't, Ohhh" Poor kid, he just wants to be like everyone else. He doesn't want to frighten anyone.

Ed has quite a mouth on him for an 11 year old. He's obviously very confident in his abilites.

And about Mustang: he is AWESOME! I want to shoot flame from my hand!
I'm looking forward to seeing Hawkeye and Hughes in more action. Though Hughes and his knifes are pretty cool.

I hate having to wait an entire week!

Madrona
Hobodoken 12-09-2004 02:32 PM
Gotta remember to watch this tonight.. thanks to falling asleep at midnight last weekend...
*sets alarm to remind himself*

grumblegrumble
fallingasleepanyways...
Well, nothing good old Limewire can't fix!
Wingnut 05-24-2005 01:09 AM
Okay. I just noticed something odd. They label Hawkeye as a Major in her introduction, yet I always thought she was a Lt. Is it just me or did someone goober with the subtitles?
Captain Maw 05-24-2005 01:20 AM
you know whats interesting?
apparently there weren't any suspicious persons or objects, yet they missed the large group of armed thugs who were dressed in (dark sunglasses, dark clothing, eyepatch, etc.) compared to the brightly colored, cheerful civilians. although profiling is bad, this was pretty much a smoking gun.
Krang 05-24-2005 01:25 AM
quote:
Okay. I just noticed something odd. They label Hawkeye as a Major in her introduction, yet I always thought she was a Lt. Is it just me or did someone goober with the subtitles?

This episode takes place in the past, so at that point in time, she was still a Major. But between the time of this episode and the present, she was promoted to Lieutenant.
Captain Maw 05-24-2005 01:29 AM
quote:
quote:

This episode takes place in the past, so at that point in time, she was still a Major. But between the time of this episode and the present, she was promoted to Lieutenant.

"promoted"? more like demoted. i mean... is it just me, or is Major a higher rank than Lt. w/e. i'm sure they're military works differently (although it looks like Germany to me, and the Lt. would still be a demotion)
unless it's Lt.Colonel, than that's one up from Major, and makes more sense.