Episode 4 Discussion: "A Forger's Love"

Shredder 11-27-2004 10:49 PM
Tonight's episode is more of a "one shot" episode but with themes and tones that carry through the rest of the series. Just to clarify, since the series has jumped around a little in time, this ep continues the storyline of Ed and Al after they burned down their house and left their hometown (they're 11 and 10 at this point). We'll return to the time period when they visited Rose and the priest in Lior later in the series (since that occurs when they're 15 and 14). I hope that's not confusing- from here on, it stays pretty much linear in time. Anyway, it's an interesting episode, enjoy! Smile )
dominusofdeath 11-27-2004 11:27 PM
That episode was awesome! It was sad though. But the paperboy part was funny. I thought it was a boy at first. Actually untill they came out and said it was a girl........
evanASF27 11-27-2004 11:30 PM
CRAP!!! I MISSED IT!!! >_< CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAAAAPP!!!!!!

wait don't they show it twice in one night?! PLEASE TELL ME THEY SHOW IT AGAIN LATER TONIGHT!!! O_O
Shredder 11-27-2004 11:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

wait don't they show it twice in one night?! PLEASE TELL ME THEY SHOW IT AGAIN LATER TONIGHT!!! O_O

Yeah, it airs again at 2:00 Central/3:00 Eastern and also on Thursday nights.

Hmm...the dub seems a little off in places and some of the dialouge is obviously added in, but I guess it's passable. Too bad Bandai or another company didn't get it, though...
Green_Bird 11-28-2004 12:00 AM
It's called Stop living in the past Wink ! Tonights was good. The Paper boy parts reminded me of Ranma 1/2 a bit. It was sad and funny at the same time.... I may have found another anime that my mom likes...
Wingnut 11-28-2004 12:14 AM
quote:

Even super geniuses aren't perfect.
The more they like the better GB.
I too thought it was a guy until they were calling the person 'she'. Even her name sounds like a boy's. So unless she was hideing it under the hat, how did she grow that much hair in such a short time?
BabyGhia 11-28-2004 02:48 AM
Rather interesting episode. Felt bad for the guy since his obsession blinded him so much.

Thanks Shredder for clearing the timeline thing up. I was wondering about that.

Really looking forward to the next episode and seeing how it shapes up as a series. I'm really enjoying it.

BabyGhia
darktacy 11-28-2004 11:15 AM
i thought it was great. and thank YOU DoD for getting me hooked... anywho... it was funny and sad all at the same time, and i really enjoyed watching it. ^^
Hobodoken 11-28-2004 01:10 PM
Pretty good.
I liked that the Mohwhatever guy
spoiler (highlight to read):
Gets killed right by his love, he deserved it for killing all those villagers.
COHugh 11-28-2004 05:44 PM
I enjoy this show more and more with each passing episode and last night's was no exception. I did miss the first 2 minutes so thanks for clarifying the whole time-jumping issue! Smile

I can't wait for next week!
evanASF27 11-28-2004 06:01 PM
i taped the episode....but my VCR was being a real pain in the @$$ and so I wasn't able to tape the parts after commercials....gotta wait till thursday I guess in order to tape it all...but man that was an interesting episode. That girl (clause?) was such a tomboy...ya know? ...freaky though...WHERE THE HELL DID ALL THAT HAIR COME FROM1? O_O
BigPrime 11-28-2004 06:40 PM
quote:
i taped the episode....but my VCR was being a real pain in the @$$ and so I wasn't able to tape the parts after commercials....gotta wait till thursday I guess in order to tape it all...but man that was an interesting episode. That girl (clause?) was such a tomboy...ya know? ...freaky though...WHERE THE HELL DID ALL THAT HAIR COME FROM1? O_O

Bunched up under her hat, I'd imagine.
dominusofdeath 11-28-2004 06:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
quote:

Bunched up under her hat, I'd imagine.

NO! It was alchemy!
lol
Ano Hito 11-28-2004 08:41 PM
Extensions?

Hah. Blue roses...reminded me of the Glass Menagerie...

Damn, I hate that play!
Madrona 11-29-2004 11:13 AM
Yeah, thanks for clarifying the whole timeline thing. I'll pass that on to my husband who is watching it with me. We hare having a great time watching these.

Interesting how we only remember what we want from the past. The idea that people grow old didn't occur to him.

What exactly was Lust doing there? Was she curious about how good an Alchemist he was? I was wondering if she was involved. That "ghost" looked way too familiar for her to not be involved.

Looking forward to more.

Madrona
Dude Love 11-29-2004 12:37 PM
I really just kept thinking that the alchemist in town there (I cannot spell his name, and can hardly remember how it's pronounced anyway) was an idiot for letting himself be blinded. Additionally, for not accepting the truth when it was right in front of him. It was plain to see that his love was just an aged version of what she was years earlier. Perhaps he hadn't looked in a mirror, to notice that he, too, had changed.

Madrona, I believe Lust was trying to see if he was really able to perform Human Alchemy.
Barrin 12-01-2004 11:00 AM
This was insightful. Not as insightful as the last episode, but still pretty interesting. I was also clueless on the 'paper boy' as well. I had to rewind my VCR and playback the conversation to learn her gender. Having her in a dress at the end wasn't entirely necessary, nor was liking that guy, but it was only my opinion, and I'm not holding strongly to that...

This show has the potential to really rock.
Krang 12-02-2004 10:53 PM
Just a reminder that the replay for episode 4 airs tonight, so check it out if you missed it the first time or if you want to see it again. BTW, be sure to watch the next episode this Saturday, since it introduces several important characters (most of which you've seen in the opening credits).
Zopwx2 12-03-2004 05:48 PM
I saw it off my video tape last night.

Not as good as the first couple episodes but I'm still sticking with the show.

Again they mention the father, and that HUMAN ALCHEMY = NO.

Otherwise I felt it was filler.
Schoolie 12-03-2004 09:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Just to clarify, since the series has jumped around a little in time, this ep continues the storyline of Ed and Al after they burned down their house and left their hometown (they're 11 and 10 at this point).

Thanks, I was wondering about that!

By the way, I was also wondering if anyone else has seen the FullMetal Alchemist PVC figures yet? I saw them advertised on the web and also saw them in person at my local comic shop. Al looks super bad! (Haven't decided if I should by any yet, though!)

Here's a link that shows the four PVC figures:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/dragonballzcentral_1821_169813429