[Suggestion] RE: Smileys

Benjamin 11-27-2004 01:57 PM
All Of These Smileys, Have 2 Color Bkg *or 3*
Big Grin Red Face
Confused Cool
Crying Shocked
Pleased Frown
Smile ) Mad
Smile Tongue
Wink Roll Eyes
Baby Evil
Tongue Laughing
Sleeping Anime Smile
Sweatdrop Embarrassed Sweatdrop
Drooling Neutral
Oh Well Dead
Thumbs Up

Wouldn't it look cool if they matched the skin *Orange Faces*?
The Fallen Phoenix 11-27-2004 02:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin
All Of These Smileys, Have 2 Color Bkg *or 3*
Big Grin Red Face
Confused Cool
Crying Shocked
Pleased Frown
Smile ) Mad
Smile Tongue
Wink Roll Eyes
Baby Evil
Tongue Laughing
Sleeping Anime Smile
Sweatdrop Embarrassed Sweatdrop
Drooling Neutral
Oh Well Dead
Thumbs Up

Wouldn't it look cool if they matched the skin *Orange Faces*?


Well, there are other skins besides the default Paradigm skin...but that notwithstanding, I think the blue faces are fine...never really saw a reason to change their color, for one. Secondly, I'm not so sure they'd look very good if they were orange...

...of course, that could be my natural bias against most things orange (not really a favorite color of mine, after all)...
Green_Bird 11-27-2004 03:49 PM
I guess it all depends I mean I don't see anything worng with the blue ones eather...But I must say that Orange wouldn't look that bad as the atachment in this post points out...but I would kind of miss the Blue smiles though....

But look....If anyone wants to change them go ahead. But Still....the Blue adds a splash of other colors here too....not just orange and gray on the defalt style....

But this would be how it would look basicly if they were orange:
R.Smith 11-27-2004 03:57 PM
It's a nice thought but orange just doesn't work.

Here, I changed the color on all of them by using the adjust hue/sat/light tool*, in less then 2 min:
















*hm, apparently I had the saturation up to 10, but it doesn't seem to change it at all.
The Fallen Phoenix 11-27-2004 04:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith
It's a nice thought but orange just doesn't work.

Here, I changed the color on all of them by using the adjust hue/sat/light tool*, in less then 2 min:
















*hm, apparently I had the saturation up to 10, but it doesn't seem to change it at all.


This set does look slightly better than the first orange set that was put up (which I thought was actually quite disgusting), but I really think the blue ones look a lot better...
Dude Love 11-27-2004 04:27 PM
I agree with FP on this, and also, I have to say that R.Smith's really don't match the orange in the skin anyway. It's too pale. But, the alternative, being Green_Bird's, is far too overpowering.

I say just stick with the blue. The whole world isn't orange and grey, you know.
R.Smith 11-27-2004 04:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
I agree with FP on this, and also, I have to say that R.Smith's really don't match the orange in the skin anyway. It's too pale. But, the alternative, being Green_Bird's, is far too overpowering.

I say just stick with the blue. The whole world isn't orange and grey, you know.


Hey, I'm all for the blue. I just wanted to show that orange (or anyother color) just doesn't work.
Benjamin 11-27-2004 05:03 PM
Orange And Black Skin, Orange Links, Orange Banner, Orange Affilite,
Blue Smileys <--- They just don't go
evanASF27 11-27-2004 05:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin
Orange And Black Skin, Orange Links, Orange Banner, Orange Affilite,
Blue Smileys <--- They just don't go

yah but look at the orange smilies...they just don't look right. The blue ones at least look good against all the styles we have for the forums.

I think we should stick with the blue ones personally.
The Fallen Phoenix 11-27-2004 06:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin
Orange And Black Skin, Orange Links, Orange Banner, Orange Affilite,
Blue Smileys <--- They just don't go


...presuming you stick with the standard skin, which I already covered in my previous post. The blue smilies actually work on all of the skins...the orange ones, aside from looking like crap, don't work very well on the Big Venus skin (nor do they work very well on the Big Duo Inferno skin)...

Of course, if they don't even work on the standard skin (which they don't because, as I said before, the orange smilies really do look like crap), chances are they wouldn't work with the others, either.

But that's just my opinion...I mean, if everyone really does think the orange smilies look better, I certainly wouldn't oppose a change...

...I have a sneaking suspicion that won't turn out to be the case, however...
X Prime 11-27-2004 10:00 PM
...Yeah. FP is pretty much right here. An orange smilie set does not at all look pretty by any stretch of the imagination, at least not here.
Mugiwara Luffy 11-27-2004 10:10 PM
There is nothing wrong with the orange smileys! Y'all just don't like them because you're used to the blue ones. I wouldn't mind if we switched to orange. I think we need a refreshing change around here!
X Prime 11-27-2004 10:14 PM
If we pulled this off though, the main style would basically be composed of two main colors. That's a gigantic negative. I also can't see the orange looking good on Big Venus, plus we'd lose a bit of color on Big Duo Inferno and Standard. I made the Bigs, so I'd know on those.
The Fallen Phoenix 11-27-2004 10:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
If we pulled this off though, the main style would basically be composed of two main colors. That's a gigantic negative. I also can't see the orange looking good on Big Venus, plus we'd lose a bit of color on Big Duo Inferno and Standard. I made the Bigs, so I'd know on those.


The orange looks terrible on Big Venus, and not much better on Big Duo Inferno (as I mentioned in my previous post). He's also right about the main style...but, even then, I still think the orange smilies look...well, not great, to put it mildly.

It's not me being conservative and not willing to change, it's me being sensible and not wiling to degrade what's already a pretty good smiley set. Again, if the general sentiment is "yes, let's make the change," fine...be my guest.
Mugiwara Luffy 11-27-2004 10:39 PM
I think the orange looks fine on Big Duo Inferno! If you ask me, it's the blue ones that don't match with that. You're right about Big Venus though; the blue works better. But the orange still isn't that bad!

It would be nice to see a change. It's not going to kill people if the smileys are orange.

*all of this coming from someone whose favourite colour is blue*
Dude Love 11-27-2004 10:39 PM
I was also playing around in Photoshop to get it to look better. No luck. Orange is just too gaudy for the smilies. It looks even more unnatural than blue (if you're trying to make the smilies look natural to a human face). It really just doesn't come together.

I stand that Blue is the best option. It already works well in the other skins, and allows for there to be more color than just orange and grey in the default Paradigm Skin.
Mugiwara Luffy 11-27-2004 10:43 PM
Avatars and signatures already give the board more color, no matter what skin you're using! I like the orange smileys cause they stand out better! Seems to add more emphasis to the emotion right?

Honestly, I'm just bored with blue.

Also, when has a human's face ever been blue? Orange is a more natural tone in my opinion....
Hienrich Ele 11-27-2004 11:00 PM
Well, I am partial to the Paradigm Forum skin, so I do not know how the orange ones look with them, but I like them better than the blue. Makes it look more... emphamatic... I know (I think) that is not a word, but I can not think of a real one that fits. It makes more emphasis on the smileys.
Mugiwara Luffy 11-27-2004 11:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hienrich Ele
Well, I am partial to the Paradigm Forum skin, so I do not know how the orange ones look with them, but I like them better than the blue. Makes it look more... emphamatic... I know (I think) that is not a work, but I can not think of a real one that fits. It makes more emphasis on the smileys.


Close, it's "emphatic".

This is what I was saying too.

I say we wait to hear what Krang thinks.

*Edit* - I like the first set of orange smileys the best. The other sets are too pale and the smileys look sick or something.
Krang 11-28-2004 01:21 AM
Sorry, but I left the smilies blue on purpose. I think the blue smilies provide a better balance of colors on the forums, and orange smilies (no matter what shade is used) just look too bright and out of place. Besides, there are other colors being used in the default skin besides orange and grey. For example, the new post forum indicator () uses yellow, the new post icon () is blue, the offline/online icons ( ) are red and green, and the birthday icon () uses several colors, not to mention all the colors that the rank stars and the buttons use. So thanks for the suggestion, but I think they would look best if left alone.