Episode 4 - Underground Terror

Schoolie 07-11-2003 02:24 PM
I've seen all of the first 13 episodes at least twice, and LOVE it. Big O gets better each time I see it. Style, mystery, characters, action; it's got it all.

But I've got some questions/comments after watching last night's Episode 4 on Adult Swim last night. Maybe some of you can help me out with clarification of the story. (Although like some have already said, there may not be answers to everything, which adds to the mystery and fun!)

-Schwarzwald was a journalist who dug up info about the truth 40 years ago. This includes uncovering and partially activating a prototype Megadeus, through some accident that physically and mentally scarred him. Naturally, Paradigm Co. wanted to buy him off for his info. and to keep him quiet?

-Somehow, Dorothy unwillingly connected to the prototype Megadeus and caused it to completely reawaken and move. Is this just because she is an android and mechanically linked with the robots (like she was with Dorothy 1)? And does this robot/android link have something to do with R-D in episode 13? SPOILER(?) IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN "R-D":
spoiler (highlight to read):
Is R-D just another version of Dorothy, maybe a malfunctioning prototype awakened and influenced by the "bad" robots? I dunno.

-Another whole mystery is why the tunnels got more advanced the deeper they got. Were they just not affected by whatever happened 40 years ago? Or, are they some other form of technology? And why did Roger hallucinate and pass out when he first got down there?

Some of these questions may be solved in the new episodes, so don't spoil it for us if you know what happens in the second 13 episodes.

But just some things I wanted to bounce off of other people. THANKS!
pen1300 07-13-2003 07:14 AM
quote:
-Another whole mystery is why the tunnels got more advanced the deeper they got. Were they just not affected by whatever happened 40 years ago? Or, are they some other form of technology? And why did Roger hallucinate and pass out when he first got down there?

I don't really understand why they were more advanced as one went further down, but I have a theory about the hallucinations. I believe that as Roger was coming down, some of his "memories" began to wake up and play out in front of him. Since he couldn't understand WHY they were playing out before him and WHY he was hallucinating, he became scared, "An irrational feeling." It kind of dawned on me while I was watching my taped recording yesterday.

quote:
-Somehow, Dorothy unwillingly connected to the prototype Megadeus and caused it to completely reawaken and move. Is this just because she is an android and mechanically linked with the robots (like she was with Dorothy 1)?

My theory to this is that the prototype connected TO HER first. I noticed she connected before they were even in the room. I just think it reached out first and kind of acted like a virius so she began to freak out. She also was saying something like that shouldn't live. I don't really understand Big-O it didn't seem to be affected, but Dorothy was and that prototype was showing her something she REALLy didn't wish to see.

quote:
-Schwarzwald was a journalist who dug up info about the truth 40 years ago. This includes uncovering and partially activating a prototype Megadeus, through some accident that physically and mentally scarred him. Naturally, Paradigm Co. wanted to buy him off for his info. and to keep him quiet?

I believe so. If he released his info, the "Parent company" would not be very happy, so his publisher wanted the drafts to hide the info.

Ok, this is VERY long so I'll cut this short for now. I really was so happy when I started noticing things!
paradoxx 05-17-2006 03:42 AM
]Schwartzalt, he has gone through a transfomraiton in this episdoe, from a simple newpaper reproter, a part of Paradigm, into a lone vigilante who is drawn to find buried technology. He burnes his archives, nearly kills Roger, and plays havoc in Paradigm city.

Underground, it gets more advanced becasue it was an underground labrotory for Megadeuce protoypes (i guess). Expo 04 shows when robots like the megadeuces woudl become commonplace, but yes that entire scene is just weird. What is it exactly?

Rogers hallucinations relate to how distressing it may be when someting tiggers secret memories buried just beneath the surface (symbolized by being underground, I guess the underground city would be the unconcious form of paradigm city). Schwatzfalt iintroduces the episode saying that 'man fears the dark.'

Layers upon layers was also present in the first act, with domes above domes, referring the Paradigm Group as the 'parent company.' It is in an abstratction as Dastun talks to Roger in a way similar to a chain of command of the military police. Dastun quickly changes mood, layers upon layers of characterization.

And when roger says 'this is about myself, i have to face the darkness within me.' he refers to his connection to Paradigm City. And since roger can go underground already in teh subway, he has come to terms with his surface terrors, but this is where it gets weird, a secret shaft leading underground fruther, where items from a more recent era are located. The pasageway is famliar to roger, it is triggering a memroy of somekind, an emotion of all things, he acts like a soilder in shock.

More characterization of Dorothy and Roger occurs as they walk through eerily lit passages, a labrynth of passages leading to the underground city and its monstrous keeper, the archetype. This prototype of the city, and story, is the memory that this megadeuce keeps, so abstract and bizzare, and incomplete that schwatzvald does not show his true body, all the while dorothy awakens the past and it leads to a scream.

meanshile Normon is preparing dinner, looks good.
Mr. Peabody 05-17-2006 06:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by paradoxx
]Schwartzalt, he has gone through a transfomraiton in this episdoe, from a simple newpaper reproter, a part of Paradigm, into a lone vigilante who is drawn to find buried technology. He burnes his archives, nearly kills Roger, and plays havoc in Paradigm city.

Underground, it gets more advanced becasue it was an underground labrotory for Megadeuce protoypes (i guess). Expo 04 shows when robots like the megadeuces woudl become commonplace, but yes that entire scene is just weird. What is it exactly?

Rogers hallucinations relate to how distressing it may be when someting tiggers secret memories buried just beneath the surface (symbolized by being underground, I guess the underground city would be the unconcious form of paradigm city). Schwatzfalt iintroduces the episode saying that 'man fears the dark.'

Layers upon layers was also present in the first act, with domes above domes, referring the Paradigm Group as the 'parent company.' It is in an abstratction as Dastun talks to Roger in a way similar to a chain of command of the military police. Dastun quickly changes mood, layers upon layers of characterization.

And when roger says 'this is about myself, i have to face the darkness within me.' he refers to his connection to Paradigm City. And since roger can go underground already in teh subway, he has come to terms with his surface terrors, but this is where it gets weird, a secret shaft leading underground fruther, where items from a more recent era are located. The pasageway is famliar to roger, it is triggering a memroy of somekind, an emotion of all things, he acts like a soilder in shock.

More characterization of Dorothy and Roger occurs as they walk through eerily lit passages, a labrynth of passages leading to the underground city and its monstrous keeper, the archetype. This prototype of the city, and story, is the memory that this megadeuce keeps, so abstract and bizzare, and incomplete that schwatzvald does not show his true body, all the while dorothy awakens the past and it leads to a scream.

meanshile Normon is preparing dinner, looks good.

Figuring out the mysteries of Paradigm City works up an appetite. May I have a helping, Norman? Big Grin
Shadow dorothy 05-21-2006 01:43 PM
I blame Timothy Wayneright for Dorothy being so conected to robots, think of all the metal harm it would cause. And does anyone besides me think that the Expo '04 banner in the background could mean 4 season of the Big O ya now! Confused