Episode 3 Discussion: "Mother"

Dude Love 11-20-2004 10:58 PM
Since there's no sight of Shredder, I've taken it upon myself to make this thread for tonights episode. It airs in all of 2 minutes. Enjoy Smile .
Shredder 11-20-2004 11:36 PM
Thanks, Weinberg! Sorry I'm a little late here, but I hope everyone enjoyed the ep. I think it's a powerful ep, and it gives you a lot more info on Ed and Al's characters and why they're on their mission. There were also some hints about future events, so you'll be hearing certain names again. I just missed the CN airing, but I'll be catching the repeat tonight before I comment further on how the dub handled this one.
Raven 11-20-2004 11:36 PM
Was ok, gave some good back history of Ed and Al. Overall I enjoyed it, especially the scene with Al and Ed fighting.

I was wondering, is the next episode about Lust or is that some other person?
Shredder 11-20-2004 11:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Was ok, gave some good back history of Ed and Al. Overall I enjoyed it, especially the scene with Al and Ed fighting.

No, it's more of a one-shot episode, kind of creepy. But we'll be seeing more of Lust and Gluttony in future episodes.
Dude Love 11-20-2004 11:58 PM
Another great episode. I thought it was well done, and gave us plenty of information while not seeming like that was the episode's purpose (if that makes any sense).

What I especially liked was just the display of how attached the boys were to their mother. It made the episode much more powerful.
Green_Bird 11-21-2004 12:04 AM
what is with BONES = choked up I mean
spoiler (highlight to read):
Spike dieing, Toboe, Tsume, Hige and Blue dieing
And now this...I got a little bit choked up at the funral scene...not as bad as the other times I cryed at an anime.

But It was accualy really good. It's like Funi has really advanced in the dub cadigory....This episode really gives a nice backstory. Kind of like.....'Rem Saverem' in Trigun.....I don't know....I like those kind of episodes I guess.....
R.Jesse 11-21-2004 12:36 AM
one question: what the heck was thet evil thing that was there after they got torn apart evil mom MK 1 Confused
COHugh 11-21-2004 12:36 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episode. It had undertones of what damage arrogance and pride can cause in the world and what bad things can happen from "good intentions". I especially enjoyed how Ed risked his own life to save his brother's by transmuting his arm and grafting his soul onto the armor. I was wondering how Al ended up in there. Smile

I appreciate the fact that the writers placed this "historical" episode early on in the series because now we can move on to hopefully more substantial plots knowing how these events earlier in their lives molded them into the characters they are today. Normally we have to wait until half-way through a show before we gain this insight into the main character(s) and this was a refreshing change of pace.
Shredder 11-21-2004 12:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jesse
one question: what the heck was thet evil thing that was there after they got torn apart evil mom MK 1 Confused

That was what resulted from their attempt to revive their mom. It didn't work, and as Ed said (at least in the original version) "She wasn't human."
Raven 11-21-2004 12:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
quote:
Originally posted by Raven

No, it's more of a one-shot episode, kind of creepy. But we'll be seeing more of Lust and Gluttony in future episodes.

Yeah cause I just saw part of the next episode thing. I was sure because it looked like her, and they said it was a doll. From what I remember, someone said she is not even human so I was just guessing.
Zopwx2 11-21-2004 01:54 PM
The basic plot and story could have pretty much been pieced together from flashbacks from the first 2 episodes, so nothing was too much of a shock. But things I did learn were:

1)Their father is an alchemist and is possibly still out there doing who knows what.

2)State alchemists fight in wars for the goverment. (and there is mention of a war from the girl whose father died)

3) They most likely recruit the boys and he probably excels and gets famous as the Full Metal A, but obviously he didn't stick with them.
Sephiroth 11-21-2004 06:25 PM
That episode was really quite sad. I felt really bad after Al and Ed's mother died. I could relate to how they felt, because for the majority of my life I lived with just my mother and I have grown really close to her, and I could only imagine how horrible it must be to have someone close to you ripped away from you. I was, however, very glad to get a little more information on Al and Eds backstory.

One question: Since there are three people named Lust, Gluttony, and I think Envy, are there 5 other people working with them named after the other 7 deadly sins?
BabyGhia 11-21-2004 11:06 PM
I'm really like this show more and more.

This episode was great. I'm liking how they are building up Al and Ed's characters before we fully meet all the others. Great way to handle that.

It was sad and explained so much.

BabyGhia
pen1300 11-22-2004 12:09 PM
I knew the week before when I saw the preview of this episode I would love it! The poor boys! Loosing their mother! It was so sad too! I mean, I gasped when you KNEW she was basically gone. The life "left her eyes." I almost cried during that part!

I must say, I think I'm truly hooked!

Later,
Pen1300
dominusofdeath 11-22-2004 08:49 PM
I! Missed it! I fell asleep because Futurama and Venture Bro's bore me. I mean my TV was on and so were my glasses! Man when I woke up I was ticked off! I REALLY wanted to see that episode!
BabyGhia 11-22-2004 08:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath
I! Missed it! I fell asleep because Futurama and Venture Bro's bore me. I mean my TV was on and so were my glasses! Man when I woke up I was ticked off! I REALLY wanted to see that episode!

Thank goodness for the Thursday night replays then... 12:30!

There is still a chance for you, Duckie! It was a great episode!

Big Grin

BabyGhia
dominusofdeath 11-22-2004 08:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BabyGhia
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath

Thank goodness for the Thursday night replays then... 12:30!

There is still a chance for you, Duckie! It was a great episode!

Big Grin

BabyGhia

!?
Thursday night replays!
OMGOMGOMGOMG! Now I hafta remember!
Hobodoken 11-22-2004 10:56 PM
Only way I can describe it:
"Freaky as anything"
evanASF27 11-22-2004 11:11 PM
so...when do they explain why Ed can do alchemy withou one of those circle thingies? Confused
(I didn't see it yet so I was just wonderin how much longer they're gonna make us wait @.@)
Shredder 11-22-2004 11:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
so...when do they explain why Ed can do alchemy withou one of those circle thingies? Confused
(I didn't see it yet so I was just wonderin how much longer they're gonna make us wait @.@)

Hmm...not for awhile, actually, but it does get explained...