[Suggestion] Here-today-gone-tomorrow Threads

The Baker St. Irregular 11-18-2004 09:31 PM
I think it would be useful to have the option of making a thread last only a day or two. It would be a good way to discuss a matter with the citizens of PCF that might not be practical to keep around too long--things like talking about an episode of a TV show, the new Strong Bad email, or one of those threads that you talk about how you aren't going to be around PCF for a couple of days.

It would make sense if the posts made in such threads did not add to one's post count, like in the word game threads. If need be, perhaps a specific sub-forum could be made for these temporary threads.

If it's possible to have the option to make threads last a day, I would like to see it happen. Of course, that's only if it is approved of! So please do share your opinion about this matter.

Thank you!
Dude Love 11-18-2004 09:40 PM
Generally, those threads have multiple uses. For example, if you're talking about a TV show, you can have a thread for the whole series, rather than just that episode, and discuss that episode in the series thread.

Additionally, if I go on vacation to anywhere exciting next summer, I plan to recycle the thread I used over the past summer for that matter.

I mean, generally, those threads are contributing something to the forums (although, arguably, the "I'm going away for a week" threads are really just informative, but they do serve the purpose of describing your trip). And, if you want to contribute something to the fora, you should be recognized for that.

Though, post count really doesn't matter much anyway. At least, it never meant much at all; now, there are some advantages once you get to 1,250 posts.

PS- It is my belief that the forum games don't count towards post count to reduce the tendency to spam for post count. Normally, the threads you're talking about, aren't spam.
The Fallen Phoenix 11-18-2004 09:52 PM
I more or less agree with just about everything Wienberg said, though I have a few comments of my own. First, concerning the question of post count: I really see no reason why such threads shouldn't add to post count. Wienberg is exactly right when he says the word-based games don't contribute to post count in order to dissuade members from spamming the threads simply to increase their post count, as the threads in the Bar do lend themselves to be abused as such. Furthermore, in order to ensure such threads don't contribute to post count, one would need to set it up as a separate sub-category, since whether posts in a category (or sub-category) is not an option you can assign to individual threads, but rather the entire category (or sub-category) as a whole.

I would argue that having a sub-category for these threads would be pointless...for one, such threads generally die on their own after they outlive their usefulness, thereby dropping down several pages until they are buried in the history of the forum. By creating a separate sub-category for these threads, they would be less likely to drop down several pages as quickly as they would in the general Speakeasy, as it would stand to reason there would be fewer threads to compete with for space...

Finally, I'd be surprised if such a feature were accessible in the forum hardware...I don't think it is, outside of allowing thread starters to lock their own threads (which, like allowing self-post deletion, can have its share of abuses). If a member felt his or her thread really has outlived its usefulness, he or she can always contact the moderator(s) responsible for the category (or sub-category) in question and request that he or she lock the thread. We've fulfilled such requests in the past, and with a sufficient degree of promptness.

...so, in conclusion, I really don't think such a feature, sub-category, thread type, or what have you is really neccessary...granted, that's just my own personal opinion.
Krang 11-18-2004 10:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. It does sound like a good idea and could be useful at times, but unfortunately, this forum software doesn't support it (and I don't know of any others that do either). I could attempt to add this in myself, but I generally don't like modifying the actual forum files too much as it makes it much more complicated to upgrade.
X Prime 11-18-2004 11:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by WienbergAdditionally, if I go on vacation to anywhere exciting next summer, I plan to recycle the thread I used over the past summer for that matter.

I mean, generally, those threads are contributing something to the forums (although, arguably, the "I'm going away for a week" threads are really just informative, but they do serve the purpose of describing your trip). And, if you want to contribute something to the fora, you should be recognized for that.

Or you could simply add an extra Away profile textfield. The forum has stock options for that. It's crude, but who's gonna deny it works?
Green_Bird 11-20-2004 12:49 AM
I agree with what Wienberg said too. That does seem pointless sort of.....I mean the spesific show/anime episode thread's usualy get combined into the larger hub thread anyway, so why do what you say that? I'm confused Confused ......