A Scanner Darkly

Zola 11-13-2004 09:15 PM
Anyone else looking forward to this? It's supposed to be released in September 2005.
Delirious 11-14-2004 01:15 PM
Sounds pretty good, however I'm into weird things like that -- self vs. self Wink
Buck Buck #1 11-14-2004 07:55 PM
looks pretty cool.
Lynnet 11-14-2004 08:52 PM
The story sounds interesting, but I can't imagine Keanu doing two personalities convincingly when he can barely manage one.

Why is he suddenly everyone's action hero? I'm still getting over the disappointment of him being cast as John Constantine.
Generalissimo D 08-04-2005 10:43 AM
Yes. That book. Its gonna be a movie. With Keanu Reeves....

Its going to be rotoscoped and stuff...and from the little bit I saw one the Constantine previews it looks like a graphic novel...and a bit trippy. But since its about drugs I believe that is the intended effect. Any thoughts on this?

"A Scanner Darkly" on IMDb. Has a link to trailers

Oh...its just priceless to see him say:
"The two hemispheres of my brain...are...compeating?
Travis Bickle 08-04-2005 10:53 AM
Wee

1-Wrong sub-forum
2-Already a thread here
3-The book is one of my favorite books of all time
4-From the 30 minutes of leaked (raw) footage I've seen of it, it's going to be amazing.

It was basically written to reflect (in a sense) PKD's life, but he mixed it up in a whole new way.

If they follow the book exactly, the ending will be amazing.
Generalissimo D 08-04-2005 10:56 AM
1-Whoops. Minor mistake.
2- Last post 11-14-2004 08:52 PM

Ok...umm..sorry...I had to many tabs opened in Firefox...IT HAPPENS! Merge the threads please!
Travis Bickle 08-04-2005 10:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
1-Whoops. Minor mistake.
2- Last post 11-14-2004 08:52 PM

Ok...umm..sorry...I had to many tabs opened in Firefox...IT HAPPENS! Merge the threads please!


Even though the thread is dead doesn't mean you can't revive it. I do it all the time with music and movie threads.
StevieV019 08-04-2005 11:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
Wee

1-Wrong sub-forum
2-Already a thread here



hahahaha...that cracks me up...I dunno whats the funniest part of the post...but its a doozy...

D-Boy, Im not making fun, dude...but if you take a second to glance over the post...this has to be one of Scotty's best ones ever...it screams with personality....

On a side note...yeah, Ive seen some leaked footage too, and I cant wait to see it. I havent read the book, people tell me I need to. It's by Philip K. Dick, right? If so, what'd you expect coming from Blade Runner's inspiration, y'know? Im a little skeptical of Keanu Reeves though. Why you ask? Well...yeah, I think he pulled off a respectable Neo in Matrix (aside from the memorable Bill and Ted's inspiring "I know kung fu" line) and I thought he did well in Constantine. And well, he was good in Point Break (kind of a natural, wouldnt you say?), but I digress. I think he can pull it off, based upon what I know of the story...but he has to keep his performance in Constantine close by, because he was really good in that...
Dork 08-10-2005 03:41 PM
The story doesn't sound too terribly interesting just from the trailer but it's based on a Phillip K. Dick story so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

The animation is incredible, I might have to see it for that alone but probably not first run. Keanu Reeves presense kills much of my interest for the movie, like Lynnet said how can he manage two personalities when he barely maintains one? As a dramatic actor he's. . . not good. His performances as of late have reminded me of Captain Archer in Enterprise; possibly an good actor in the right character but with the characters he chooses the performance is forced and not very believable. Almost painful to watch.

On the plus side the movie has Winona Ryder, who've I've always liked and I haven't seen her in anything new for awhile now.


muchlove
-Dork
Hienrich Ele 08-10-2005 04:15 PM
Looks very neat. And by that, I mean the film style.

But, Keanu Reeves... Ewwww... I can't stand his 'acting'.

I'll see it on DVD.
Constable Crunch 08-10-2005 05:03 PM
It looks very cool... definately worth seeing... I love the animation style too... just makes it different in a way... and about Keanu... well... he isnt the best of actors but im sure he can pull it off... Pleased
Travis Bickle 08-10-2005 05:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
The animation is incredible


It's actually not animated. It's filmed with professional digital cameras, and then each frame is put through a series of filters to make it look animated (called rotoscoping). That's one of the reasons why it's taking so long to be released.
Dork 08-10-2005 05:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
The animation is incredible


It's actually not animated. It's filmed with professional digital cameras, and then each frame is put through a series of filters to make it look animated (called rotoscoping). That's one of the reasons why it's taking so long to be released.


Yes, I read about that but the final effect looks animated. So I'm just gonna keep callin' it that Big Grin

Is this the first rotoscoped film? I'd love to see more examples of this.


muchlove
-Dork
Generalissimo D 08-10-2005 05:19 PM
Yeah. What Scott said. Interpolated rotoscoping.

Heres some stuff on a film called Waking Life(done entirely in that format.)
Wiki Entry
IMDb Link

You can look on the wiki for more information on it. Very interesting method. They used it for the Ring Wraiths in the original Lord of the Rings animated movie, which I own.
Travis Bickle 08-10-2005 05:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
Is this the first rotoscoped film? I'd love to see more examples of this.


Waking Life is another Rotoscoped film, also done by Linklater (who also did a great movie, Dazed and Confused). It was decent...

Edit: EEK! I HAVE BEEN GER-BEATEN!

However, with A Scanner Darkly, they're rotoscoping it by using a new program called Rotoshop, which I have yet to get my hands on...
Collateral 08-10-2005 05:23 PM
It looks neat. I think I might want to see it.
Generalissimo D 08-10-2005 05:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
Is this the first rotoscoped film? I'd love to see more examples of this.


Waking Life is another Rotoscoped film, also done by Linklater (who also did a great movie, Dazed and Confused). It was decent...

Edit: EEK! I HAVE BEEN GER-BEATEN!


Hehe.

quote:

However, with A Scanner Darkly, they're rotoscoping it by using a new program called Rotoshop, which I have yet to get my hands on...


Well I dont know about the program, but dont forget they got graphic novel artists to do this one as opposed to normal animators. You could probably take a few screenshots, arrange them with appropriate text, and pass it off as a graphic novel based off the movie. I wont put it past them...
Travis Bickle 08-10-2005 05:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
Well I dont know about the program, but dont forget they got graphic novel artists to do this one as opposed to normal animators. You could probably take a few screenshots, arrange them with appropriate text, and pass it off as a graphic novel based off the movie. I wont put it past them...


They're also using a few ex-employees from Pixar. There's something you won't find on Wikipedia Big Grin
Generalissimo D 08-10-2005 05:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
Well I dont know about the program, but dont forget they got graphic novel artists to do this one as opposed to normal animators. You could probably take a few screenshots, arrange them with appropriate text, and pass it off as a graphic novel based off the movie. I wont put it past them...


They're also using a few ex-employees from Pixar. There's something you won't find on Wikipedia Big Grin


Cut me some slack wontcha? I'm just starting to learn. Smile