Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Discussion

Asirt 11-08-2004 10:09 AM
I know it's a little too early, given the fact that the manga hasn't come out to the US yet, but I wanted to make this thread so that people can talk about the manga and how close it relates to the anime series.

So far, I've read the first chapter of FMA. It's basically the first episode, with some added scenes to make it longer. To my surprise, the first chapter is 51 pages. Still, it's pretty good, and I like the art. I plan on reading more of it in the future. I'll post some scans of the manga later.

So anyway, has anyone read or even heard of the Fullmetal Alchemist manga?
Asirt 11-08-2004 05:30 PM
Here are some preview shots of the manga I found while searching the Internet. It appears that some groups are already translating the series before it comes out. I hope this gives a better idea of what the manga is like:

neffie 11-09-2004 03:07 AM
*raises hand* I read the FMA manga!! (and I LOVE it!) I read translations every month.

The anime follows the manga very closely at first, but it then goes off into it's own story. I love both and I can't compare. lol

Isn't it nice having such long chapters? Of course the downside is you have to wait a month until the next chapter is out - so when she leaves us on a cliffhanger it's bad.
Sephiroth 12-11-2004 11:40 PM
I've read the manga over the internet. Its really good. Its not very different from the anime until later on in the story. Up until then its basically the same, though there are fewer comics focusing on Al and Ed's childhood. In general though, its really good, but the long chapters take a while to read.
Ano Hito 12-12-2004 02:07 PM
For those of us who are de Mexico or de Espana, there's always universoanime.com

Lots of great downloads of stuff licenced here but not there. Of course, you have to register and be able to read spanish, but it's pretty good. One problem is that they tend to rip off English scanslations instead of translating from Japanese. Sometimes you can even tell they rip off of Tokyopop and Viz releases...they're really awful...
evanASF27 12-12-2004 03:10 PM
You know I'm actually quite suprised! Shocked

The manga (for a change) looks almost EXACTLY as the style used in the anime!! ...well...most likely vice versa...but you know what I mean.

I mean I've seen a couple bits of Trigun manga as well as Big O manga and they look different from their respective anime versions. FMA's manga looks very very much like it's anime counterpart...and I like that! Big Grin
Madrona 03-10-2005 03:17 PM
While PCF was done I took my time and read all the translated manga online. Actually, I didn't take my time. I read it eagerly. It's interesting to see where some of the stuff in the anime came from even though it's not technically part of the story.
spoiler (highlight to read):
Miniskirts

I think it's pretty neat how they did that.

And I know too much now. My feelings about a certain character were confirmed. Actually, about two of them.

So, since it's now been licensed in the US can I assume that no more translations will be done and I have to wait for the rest of the story to be released in English by VIZ?
I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!!!!

Madrona

ps...Get that job!
BabyGhia 03-10-2005 08:01 PM
I've already read about 14 pages of the first volume (Thanks Madrona for the link). I like it very much so far. Probably should read some more before I make my final judgment though. Big Grin

Looking forward to actually buying it when I get the chance.

BabyGhia

PS. I'm trying. I'm trying. Tongue
Green_Bird 04-28-2005 07:56 PM
Got the manga today (yes, it is out now, it has been since the 18th!) It's pretty good....Although...I really don't like Viz translating the FX, never have. But still....being by Viz, it was okay. hearing Bradly refered to as "President" was kind of wieird, though. But it was okay....you can see what changed when it was made into an anime. Alot more stuff had been added to the anime verson. Oh and...the omake pages were hillarious Big Grin ....

The Viz release's cover is holographic too....it's cool...but...it was fine normaly, it didn't really need to be holographic....
Gato Gurl914 05-03-2005 02:55 PM
Shocked its out?!?!!? *yells to mom* HEY MOM! I GOTTA GO TO THE BOOKSTORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom- later this week!
evanASF27 05-04-2005 11:28 PM
wow......I just a commercial for FMA Manga on [adult swim]

...and as I type, I saw it again o_O...
How good is this manga compared to the anime?
Madrona 05-05-2005 01:15 AM
I thought what I saw was really good. Visually, I liked her use of empty space. Does that make sense? Action is filled with stuff, heavy plot is not. At least, that's how I remember it.

Madrona
Green_Bird 05-08-2005 12:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
[...]
How good is this manga compared to the anime?

Well in comparison, most parts are sort of 'Alternate universe' type....reason being Hughes and Farman aren't on the train with Hakaro (SP?) in the manga. Also, some of the situations didn't happen as they did in the anime. Not to mention I think that the coal mining and Train parts were meant as a continuation of the story instead of part of the flashbacks as they were in the anime. The anime seems to be more angsty in some places.

But all and all they're both equaly good.....
BethMcBeth 05-08-2005 01:29 AM
I was wondering I was having trouble watching the anime on t.v. would reading the manga make this series much easier for me to understand or like more?

I guess what I am really asking is which one is better to help get into this series?
-Beth
Shredder 07-08-2005 01:28 AM
I also recently picked up (and read) the first 2 volumes of the FMA manga (the 2nd just came out). Although I've seen the entire anime series, I hadn't read any of the manga until now and I like what I'm reading so far! Right now, it's pretty similar to the anime, but there are some very interesting differences in places that I didn't know about
(such as in the Tucker storyline)
. I'm curious to see what happens when the show and the manga split off. I kind of like that the manga will be a little different, since it'll be a little like experiencing FMA new again! Happy

As for whether to read the manga or watch the show first, it's up to you, but I'd recommend sticking to one all the way through, since the story is too complex to miss episodes/chapters...
Travis Bickle 07-08-2005 01:31 AM
I have yet to pick up the manga. However, they have displays for FMA all over my Barnes and Noble for it.
Kat 07-17-2005 01:46 AM
I so totally adore this series..... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

*ahem* Anyway....

I've read all 49 regular chapters. =3 Internet rawks. I love FMA's long chapters. But now that I'm caught up, just one long chapter at time isn't enough..... *whine*

As for the extra stuff, I've read the Military Party & Dog of the Military? gaiden chapters (Ed's evaluation & part with Hayate so basically ep. 13 together) and the Blind Alchemist gaiden. I think there might be more....... (Meh. Where I read DotM?, 2 pages were missing. -.-)

The anime follows the manga pretty closely till some time after ch. 15/ep. 25 (Crying ), I'm not sure just where it splits off 'cause I've only seen AS's anime run (up to ep. 26, spoiled more, though ^^"). Some characters and story details are way different. Big example would be
the identities of Wrath & Pride.

And what Lust did to Havoc was just horrible. Mad Poor guy.

And then there are manga-only characters like Ling. Ling's great.

I also like how the art is very similar between the two, but with some differences. I think Roy's face is somewhat more angular in the manga, and his hair seems shorter. It kinda makes his ears stick out sometimes. xD

The omake are hilarious.

Oh, and Madrona? Chapter 49 was translated online recently even though it was after Viz's licensing I think, so there's a good chance they'll continue. So hopefully the only waiting we'll have to do is for Arakawa-sensei to get the chapters done and the group to translate them! ^__^
Madrona 07-17-2005 02:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Kat
I so totally adore this series..... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

*ahem* Anyway....

I've read all 49 regular chapters. =3 Internet rawks. I love FMA's long chapters. But now that I'm caught up, just one long chapter at time isn't enough..... *whine*

As for the extra stuff, I've read the Military Party & Dog of the Military? gaiden chapters (Ed's evaluation & part with Hayate so basically ep. 13 together) and the Blind Alchemist gaiden. I think there might be more....... (Meh. Where I read DotM?, 2 pages were missing. -.-)

The anime follows the manga pretty closely till some time after ch. 15/ep. 25 (Crying ), I'm not sure just where it splits off 'cause I've only seen AS's anime run (up to ep. 26, spoiled more, though ^^"Wink . Some characters and story details are way different. Big example would be
the identities of Wrath & Pride.

And what Lust did to Havoc was just horrible. Mad Poor guy.

And then there are manga-only characters like Ling. Ling's great.

I also like how the art is very similar between the two, but with some differences. I think Roy's face is somewhat more angular in the manga, and his hair seems shorter. It kinda makes his ears stick out sometimes. xD

The omake are hilarious.

Oh, and Madrona? Chapter 49 was translated online recently even though it was after Viz's licensing I think, so there's a good chance they'll continue. So hopefully the only waiting we'll have to do is for Arakawa-sensei to get the chapters done and the group to translate them! ^__^

yeah, I *found* those. I guess I never went back to update that post.

Ears stick out? Really? Wink
Your Roy, my Roy, let us drool shall we? BTW...I love the song in your sig!
Green_Bird 07-17-2005 02:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
I have yet to pick up the manga. However, they have displays for FMA all over my Barnes and Noble for it.

If it's the display that has the cutout of the second Vol.'s cover above the cubby holes....then I have it ^^; ....the people at the Barns & Noble I usualy go to were nice enugh to give it to me after this comic-con contest was over. Currently it's just being used for a place to house my FMA manga (and soon, maybe even figures.)

But anyway....I read the second volume yesterday. I kind of liked how
Scar killed tucker instead of how the anime made him be turned into a Chimera after the state executed him. It was a more fitting end then being turned into a chimera himself.
Kat 07-18-2005 01:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Madrona
yeah, I *found* those. I guess I never went back to update that post.

Ears stick out? Really? Wink
Your Roy, my Roy, let us drool shall we? BTW...I love the song in your sig!

Kinda looks like it, heh.

Indeed, let us commence to drooling! Drooling XD

Awesome song. ^__^ Hughes' cd comes out in just a couple days... I waaaant it! Big Grin (I'll probably get the files from LJ comm fm_alchemist first, though. ^^")