Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Discussion

Nine Kuze 10-06-2005 12:58 PM
On Tuesday, I was at the local Borders and in half an hour, I read the third installment of the FullMetal Alchemist manga and it was pretty damn good. It starts off right after Scar destroyed Al's right side and Ed's arm and ends with Ed fighting #66 and finding the place where the experiments for the Philosopher's Stone were done in Lab #5.

The stuff was pretty good, and some of it more and better diagloue then the anime. And at the end, they had a little extra where Roy Mustang and Ed fought "Flame vs. FullMetal". This manga is pretty good, moves pretty fast, but still good.

Peace.
Nine Kuze 05-24-2006 06:04 PM
:: I'm bringin' it back ::

Hey all. I'm bringing the thread back because since the anime series has ended, the manga is still going pretty damn strong.

With the manga that's out on stores right now, the storyline is right around the Greed saga. This is point in the story where the manga starts to go in a different path from the anime but basically, Greed and his crew kidnap Alphonse to learn soul transmutation. Izumi comes to rescue Al but is thwarted by Greed and leaves to get Edward to tell Greed about soul transmutation in exchange for him to tell the Elrics how to create a homonculus. Edward arrives to get Alphonse and the military with King Bradley arrives as well. Greed and Edward fight as Greed's crew leaves and gets ambushed by the military. Greed finally leaves too and its just him, Alphonse, and Martel when King Bradley comes and rips Greed a new one. The end has Bradley revealing to Greed that he is the homonulus Wrath and has the Ultimate Eye.

Its pretty similar to the anime right now but it starts to turn in the next couple of chapters. Anyway, that's for the version that out in stores right now. But for the Internet's version... Spoiler Time!

spoiler (highlight to read):
I read the latest chapter on the Internet for FMA awhile ago and it takes a flashback into Roy Mustang's past. Surprisingly enough, he learned flame alchemy from Riza Hawkeye's father and Riza walked in on the both of them when Riza's father did himself in (or something like that, I'm don't really remember at this point in time). Anyway, the chapter before that is what gets me. If anybody has read it, what the hell was salamander transmutation circle on Riza's back?! Since her father was an alchemist it may have something to do with that but still, something like involving Riza was a cool twist for me. Also, since we haven't seen him yet because he's just in the shadows all the time but who the hell is Pride? Honestly, I reallly think its Hohenheim because when the boys met 'Father' who also looks like Hohenheim, he said that he was surprised that 'it' can reproduce and have children. Just something to think about as far as the Internet version goes.

So basically right now, in the Internet version, there at the point in the flashback where the Ishbalian War is under way and no new chapters have dropped yet from what I know as of now.

So anybody keeping up with the FullMetal Alchemist manga lately?
Peace.
Asirt 09-12-2006 11:05 PM
I'm sure most of you are already aware of this, but...

quote:
Viz has edited 2 panels in Fullmetal Alchemist (manga) volume 8, changing a stone cross on which a character is crucified to a round stone slab. Unable to comment on the exact details regarding this edit, Viz stated, "Minimal edits done to any manga are to fit the criteria for release to American & Canadian markets. All of our edits are done with the full wave of approval and input of the creators."

[Provided by Anime News Network]

Let the soap opera begin. Tongue
Instro 09-13-2006 11:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
:: I'm bringin' it back ::

I read the latest chapter on the Internet for FMA awhile ago and it takes a flashback into Roy Mustang's past. Surprisingly enough, he learned flame alchemy from Riza Hawkeye's father and Riza walked in on the both of them when Riza's father did himself in (or something like that, I'm don't really remember at this point in time). Anyway, the chapter before that is what gets me. If anybody has read it, what the hell was salamander transmutation circle on Riza's back?! Since her father was an alchemist it may have something to do with that but still, something like involving Riza was a cool twist for me. Also, since we haven't seen him yet because he's just in the shadows all the time but who the hell is Pride? Honestly, I reallly think its Hohenheim because when the boys met 'Father' who also looks like Hohenheim, he said that he was surprised that 'it' can reproduce and have children. Just something to think about as far as the Internet version goes.

So anybody keeping up with the FullMetal Alchemist manga lately?
Peace.

Thanks for the spoiler info, Nine XXVI! Yes, I am trying to keep up with the FMA manga as much as I can. There are some juicy storylines that are just as intriguing as any in the anime. (Besides, the manga was the springboard for the anime!) I admire your patience reading it on the Internet, I've tried doing that but all the clicking and waiting for pages to load (even with broadband) just frustrates the heck out of me. I'd rather turn physical pages...I'm like you, I'm totally into any backstory on my man Mustang!
Nine Kuze 09-13-2006 02:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Asirt
I'm sure most of you are already aware of this, but...

quote:
Viz has edited 2 panels in Fullmetal Alchemist (manga) volume 8, changing a stone cross on which a character is crucified to a round stone slab. Unable to comment on the exact details regarding this edit, Viz stated, "Minimal edits done to any manga are to fit the criteria for release to American & Canadian markets. All of our edits are done with the full wave of approval and input of the creators."

[Provided by Anime News Network]

Let the soap opera begin. Tongue

Oh. At first I didn't know what they were referring to but know I remember.

The part where Greed is killed by the "father" of the homonculi. In the original version, Greed is held in place by Wrath's sword on a sword cross (all Jesus Christ style, don't you know) and is then liquified in boiling oil. After that, the father drinks him and doesn't come back until much later, taking control of a main character's body. Actually, Greed's dialogue in that sequence is rather funny, hittin' on Lust and callin' Envy an "ugly bitch".

Yeah, although it not a big deal, I can see why they would feel compelled to do an edit like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Instro
Thanks for the spoiler info, Nine XXVI! Yes, I am trying to keep up with the FMA manga as much as I can. There are some juicy storylines that are just as intriguing as any in the anime. (Besides, the manga was the springboard for the anime!) I admire your patience reading it on the Internet, I've tried doing that but all the clicking and waiting for pages to load (even with broadband) just frustrates the heck out of me. I'd rather turn physical pages...I'm like you, I'm totally into any backstory on my man Mustang!

Glad to help and anytime. Yeah, even though I've read all the chapters so far online, I still keep in touch with the new version that Viz is pumping out now. I still like the story nonetheless and I like to see what kind of edits are made from the original.

Also, I haven't read the story online in a long while since last time I checked, there was no updates. But I'm going to have to check that out soon and see if the story's progressed since I've last read.

EDIT: Never mind, they still haven't uploaded any new chapters. Bums.
Peace.
piccorotto 09-20-2006 10:01 AM
I still fail to see why that of all things had to be editted. I mean, the Homunculi are already named after sins. Why let one thing inspired by Christian mythos go through, and not another? Plus the symbolism was lost in that scene... -_-

On a lighter note, I do indeed obviously keep up with the manga online. Waiting a month between releases is quite the beeyotch, but I get by lol

Who could've guessed Grumman of all would have come back for an important role in the story? xD And Armstrong's other sister, Major General Armstrong, just looks badass in that one panel.

All in all, I can't wait to see where Arakawa takes the story next.
Nine Kuze 02-03-2007 01:11 AM
*I'm bringin' it back*

I just read some of the latest volumes on the FMA manga online. Anybody around here still keeping up with this?

Anyway, here's the jist of what went down:

- Riza Hawkeye completed her story to Edward on what went down at the Ishbal War. Through the flashback, Archer and Grand made some appearances and Riza revealed that the tattoo on her back is the details of her father's alchemic work before he died. They also showed how Kimblee killed Scar's brother and family, the higher ranked officers he killed that got him sentenced and how Scar killed Winry's parents.

- Edward and Alphonse travel to the Northern border of Briggs to find Mei and find out more about the alchemy from Xing. Their alchemy is different from the one in Amestris, for example they can use alchemy at different places from where they are.

- Major Armstrong has an older sister, General Olivier Milla Armstrong of the Northern Border.

- The crew at the Northern border fought Sloth, who appeared out of the ground from his digging and it is revealed that he was digging a transmutation circle under the entire country of Amestris.

So yeah, that's what I got. Again, anaybody still reading and keeping up with the manga here?
Peace.
Scourge 02-03-2007 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm totally up to date.
Nine Kuze 02-03-2007 03:05 PM
Cool, cool.

There's also that very last panel on the latest chapter, where Hohenheim of Light mentioned some names, said he was sorry, and ripped his chest apart. Don't know what the hell that was all about but I've had the suspicion that Hohenheim is Pride.

Peace.
Scourge 02-03-2007 06:57 PM
I imagine that has something to do with the stone, one way or another.
MistressAnima 04-23-2007 02:37 AM
I've heard of it. However, there are some parts in the manga that were removed from the series. Like Riza Hawkeye's connection to Roy Mustang (No, not romantic, neither are they blood relatives. Sorry, but no spoilers).

Nine Kuze 04-23-2007 03:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MistressAnima
I've heard of it. However, there are some parts in the manga that were removed from the series. Like Riza Hawkeye's connection to Roy Mustang (No, not romantic, neither are they blood relatives. Sorry, but no spoilers).

What... do you mean removed? The American version hasn't gotten that far yet and the original has the Mustang/Hawkeye connection as well. I read it online a long while ago and its there alright.

You can also check above at a couple of my posts to see that I mentioned it then as well.
Peace.