[Suggestion] A Website sub catigory of Nightingale?

Green_Bird 11-06-2004 02:17 PM
I hope this wasn't suggested before. But how about a Site sub catigory in The Nightingale Club? I mean since like web sites are consitered art too...in a way. You could call it someing like...."The Lounge", or "The Back Room" or something like that.

Basicly what I had in mind for the sub-forum is, it can be used to like ask HTML/CSS/PHP questions or any site question. And then people would show off there finished/alredy made site there.

But here's the deal. You have to post your own site, not a site you like work for, or your journal, or you like. It won't be abused, since all topics/posts contaning "PLEASE COME TO MY SITE I BEG OF YOU FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD PLESE VISIT!" Would be outlawed. The corect way to post it would be like:

Topic: (Site Tittle)

Post: Hey! I just made a site on (whatever)...tell me what you think of it! I know it's not that great...I'm still working on it Smile !

(Site address)

Or whatever. I don't think that's too bad. Sorry if you think that it will be abused...I personaly don't think so, myself. Almost every forum I have been too, Had a site forum where you could ask questions and post your site for review.

Oh well....just an Idea.....
Asirt 11-06-2004 02:25 PM
Personally, this sounds like a good idea. It would nice to see other people's web sites and review them as well. The only problem that I see is that there aren't a lot of people who make web sites, so I'm not sure if there are enough threads for something like this. Other than that, it sounds like a good idea.
evanASF27 11-06-2004 02:53 PM
well..isn't it in the the rules not to advertise other sites on PCF?
Asirt 11-06-2004 02:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

That's a tough question, Evan. I guess it depends on the web site. However, the way Green_Bird wanted it didn't involve advertising. I guess we'll wait until we hear other people's opinions on this matter.
Seraphim 11-06-2004 06:38 PM
So it's basically a spam forum? Woot!
R.Smith 11-06-2004 06:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

Quiet you! Mad I'm tired of you always putting down other people's ideas and suggestions. And no, I don't care if you were being sarcastic.

It is not a spam forum. It sounds like a good idea for people to be able to share their sites and ask for help on building/maintaining their sites.
Seraphim 11-06-2004 06:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith
quote:

Quiet you! Mad I'm tired of you always putting down other people's ideas and suggestions.

It is not a spam forum. It sounds like a good idea for people to be able to share their sites and ask for help on building/maintaining their sites.

"It's not a spam forum"

Well, let's check the rules for the definition of "spam".

quote:

Spam of any kind is not allowed
. This includes posting useless or excessively short posts just to increase your rank or post count, blatant advertising...

Oh, I don't know... a forum made for advertising sites just MIGHT fit into the "blatant advertising" category.

It sounds a whole lot like it to me:

quote:

Post: Hey! I just made a site on (whatever)...tell me what you think of it! I know it's not that great...I'm still working on it Smile !

(Site address)
R.Smith 11-06-2004 06:54 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

Quiet you! Mad I'm tired of you always putting down other people's ideas and suggestions.

"It's not a spam forum"

Well, let's check the rules for the definition of "spam".

quote:

Spam of any kind is not allowed
. This includes posting useless or excessively short posts just to increase your rank or post count, blatant advertising...

Oh, I don't know... a forum made for advertising sites just MIGHT fit into the "blatant advertising" category.

It sounds a whole lot like it to me:

quote:

(Site address)

So, by what your saying, I shouldn't be able to say "Hey, I need help with my site (address of site). Can you guys help me, etc.", because that would be advertising, and there for, I would be spaming. Roll Eyes

I guess we should make sure nobody asks for help on their website, otherwise they are a baddd spaming person.Laughing
Seraphim 11-06-2004 06:56 PM
quote:
I guess we should make sure nobody asks for help on their website, otherwise they are a baddd spaming person.Laughing

I find it hard to believe that you can't see the immense abuses that will result from such a forum.
evanASF27 11-06-2004 07:01 PM
Seraphim, if the section was made for "website help" (as in "help me I don't know how to do *such and such* with php!", and "I can't get my "to top of page" links working".) then it wouldn't be spamming you fool.

Now shut it. If people post "YO! Check out my site it is teh r0x0rs!" then that's spam. However, the way Green_Bird has suggested it (if it gets off to the right start) it won't be spam.

You must look beyond the text at some of these things. Think of the good that could come from it. Every section has it's share of spam...that section will be no different. But I'm sure the people already here won't abuse it.
Mike 11-06-2004 07:01 PM
OK honestly, let's just let Krang decide if it's against the rules.
Seraphim 11-06-2004 07:04 PM
quote:
Seraphim, if the section was made for "website help" (as in "help me I don't know how to do *such and such* with php!", and "I can't get my "to top of page" links working".) then it wouldn't be spamming you fool.

Now shut it. If people post "YO! Check out my site it is teh r0x0rs!" then that's spam. However, the way Green_Bird has suggested it (if it gets off to the right start) it won't be spam.

This is the way it was suggested:

quote:

(Site address)

Not exactly for "PHP Help".
R.Smith 11-06-2004 07:05 PM
quote:
quote:

I find it hard to believe that you can't see the immense abuses that will result from such a forum.

There won't be any abuse of it, since it would be monitored and any time things get out of hand, it can simply be locked/deleted.
Green_Bird 11-06-2004 07:09 PM
quote:
quote:

This is the way it was suggested:

quote:

(Site address)

Not exactly for "PHP Help".

What I mean by that is....the example person wanted tips on how to making their website better and/or a review on it, not wanting people to go there against their will! I really don't think that would be consited advertising.
pen1300 11-06-2004 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
quote:

That's a tough question, Evan. I guess it depends on the site. However, the way Green_Bird wanted it didn't involve advertising... I guess we'll wait until we hear other people's opinions on this matter.

Later,
Trisa

There is. (I'm not going to hunt it down, but I know it exists). That would be the only thing that would stop a subforum like this (in my opinion). That's very thin line. Also, we have to be careful with what people put up. Some links could go to a website that is "bad." (Not saying any one WOULD, but you know what I mean. It could be unintentional too).

None the less, Krang will make the ultimate descision, so I guess we should just wait and see.

Later,
Pen1300
Christina Perry 11-07-2004 02:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
quote:

That's a tough question, Evan. I guess it depends on the site. However, the way Green_Bird wanted it didn't involve advertising... I guess we'll wait until we hear other people's opinions on this matter.

Later,
Trisa

There is. (I'm not going to hunt it down, but I know it exists). That would be the only thing that would stop a subforum like this (in my opinion). That's very thin line. Also, we have to be careful with what people put up. Some links could go to a website that is "bad." (Not saying any one WOULD, but you know what I mean. It could be unintentional too).

None the less, Krang will make the ultimate descision, so I guess we should just wait and see.

Later,
Pen1300

Pen1300, how about I called "Kitchen Staduim." They can post on the TV (non-anime) shows they draw, like my Takeshi Kaga artwork. What did you think??
The Fallen Phoenix 11-07-2004 04:14 PM
While it would ulimately be up to Krang concerning its legitimacy, I hate to be picky but I really do believe topics of such nature could be better suited either inside (or as a sub-category) of the JFK Mark Airport...yeah, stupid technicality, but I suppose I ought to throw it out there...

Nevertheless, it does sound like an interesting idea...again, it'll probably end up being up to Krang whether this does (or does not) viloate the spam rule (and its blatant advertising corollary), but I certainly wouldn't oppose it otherwise.
Krang 11-07-2004 08:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
I hope this wasn't suggested before. But how about a Site sub catigory in The Nightingale Club? I mean since like web sites are consitered art too...in a way. You could call it someing like...."The Lounge", or "The Back Room" or something like that.

Good idea, but I don't think enough people here have sites that they would need help with in order for this to deserve a separate subforum (and if people need help with their sites, there are a few threads in the Speakeasy that they can post in). Another reason is that, while the use that you described is fine, there will be people who post there only to get people to visit their site (or forums, which we've already seen more than enough of... Roll Eyes ). Thanks for the suggestion, though.

BTW, sorry that the "blatant advertising" rule is not more clear, but that's because it's hard to describe... Embarrassed Sweatdrop I'll give it a try, though, through the use of some examples:

A post asking for help with site design or coding, then giving a link: Not Spam
A post saying "GO TOO MY SIET NOWWW!!!!!!111" or something similar: Spam
A post asking for suggestions on what kind of software to use for a new forum: Not Spam
A post giving the link of a cheap PCF-ripoff forum and trying to recruit people to join: Spam

BTW, these are just extreme examples, not anything specific. If anyone can sum this concept up in a single sentence, it would be appreciated...
Hienrich Ele 11-07-2004 08:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang

BTW, these are just extreme examples, not anything specific. If anyone can sum this concept up in a single sentence, it would be appreciated...

How about this:

No blatant advertising. This includes posting a link to a site or forums so people will join or affiliate with it only. Posts, however, that ask for help with a site or a site hosting Fanwork is acceptable.

Sounded a little better when I was thinking it...
Asirt 11-07-2004 08:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hienrich Ele
How about this:

No blatant advertising. This includes posting a link to a site or forums so people will join or affiliate with it only. Posts, however, that ask for help with a site or a site hosting Fanwork is acceptable.

Sounded a little better when I was thinking it...

That would work. This is what I was thinking.

Blatant advertising is considered to be a type of post that notifies people to join certain events or websites for no apparent reason other than to get people to join.

My definition might need some work, though.