Episode 1 Discussion: "To Challenge the Sun"

Shredder 11-06-2004 02:35 AM
I'm beginning this a little early, but here's the first of weekly FMA episode discussions! We hope you all will enjoy the series as much as we did and contribute with your thoughts and theories much like when Big O Season 2 aired (has it really been over a year since it ended?) I really enjoyed those discussions and reading everyone's opinions every week. I hope someday we can continue that with Season 3, if one is ever made. Until then, please enjoy episode 1 of Fullmetal Alchemist and I hope we can get a similar level of enthusiasm for this show as well. Some people say it has a slow start, but I don't think so. Either way, please give it a few weeks, I think it'll draw you in. Smile ) Enjoy!
R.Smith 11-06-2004 11:04 PM
Since Krang and Shredder aren't on (assuming they are busy), and Gk is off for the moment (poor guy is really sick), I'm making this thread for you guys to use until the other "offical" thread is reopened.
dominusofdeath 11-06-2004 11:26 PM
That was.....................................................................AWE
SOME!
But it's past my bedtime so I'll post more tomorrow.
evanASF27 11-06-2004 11:27 PM
friggin awesome. I'm gonna keep watchin this series Big Grin

(I'm guessin it's going to be like TRIGUN in a way...comedy in the first bit and then it gets more and more serious as it gets towards the end)
Asirt 11-06-2004 11:29 PM
Man, I still have 3 hours until it comes on AS. I really want to see this soon. Ah well, since the both of you have said it was awesome, I'll most likely enjoy it. However, I'll make a post about it after I wake up and watch my tape. Sleeping
Green_Bird 11-06-2004 11:59 PM
It's accualy qute good....given who did the dubs.....It's funny....espsualy the face falts and stuff....Sure to become one of my favorites Big Grin .....

I remember when everyone was so gung ho about Big O....I guess this will be like the new big O in a sence...because it seems that AS is really exited about that insted of GitS given the whole running promos for it every two breaks or so....
R.Smith 11-07-2004 12:04 AM
Not bad, not bad! Smile

I like the characters so far! Big Grin

Can't wait to see the next episode! Cool
Hobodoken 11-07-2004 12:28 AM
Looks like a good show, funny, with action.
Only thing that I dislike about it (as of yet) is the little kid voice in the suit of armor sounds really off.
Raven 11-07-2004 12:37 AM
I liked it to be honest, much better than Wolf's Rain. The show looks promising, and I hope it lives up to my expectations.
Kittie heavenly6 11-07-2004 12:37 AM
*stumbles out of bed on to the forums*

Ok, I decided to unlock and merge the two threads making this the official Talk back thread. I slept through the first airing of it (as R Smith mentioned, Im very ill) But I've got my timer set for the second airing of it, which is only an hour and a half away! Im looking forward to seeing it.
Avenir 11-07-2004 12:46 AM
I found it to be quite entertaining, I will be catching next week's episode. But one thing I found worth nitpicking over was the dub, it was mediocre. Oh well, something to be expected from a company like FUNimation. Roll Eyes
stryker 11-07-2004 12:51 AM
Elric is a complete brat, and this constant "Alchemy is SCIENCE" is getting on my nerves. Plus he's another teen with Ahnuld strength to go with his super powers.

Sigh, I miss Big O... Frown

Ghost in the Shell was good tho.
Sharpshooter005 11-07-2004 02:17 AM
quote:
Only thing that I dislike about it (as of yet) is the little kid voice in the suit of armor sounds really off.

Thats a bit grating (also disconcerting), yes.

I keep hoping some random background character begins screaming "NO, THATS BARTER." whenever that equivilent exchange line is reiterated.

Also the fact it went from severed limbs (apparently) to trigun style physical comedy in less than three minutes was odd enough to be interesting. I'll have to wait and see how much this show holds my attention though.

quote:
this constant "Alchemy is SCIENCE" is getting on my nerves.

They could have "she blinded me with science" as the end credits theme, and it would fit fairly well.

EDIT: I just...read the AS site, apparently theres a "fuhrer" in this now? So...it involves a military force of some kind, with a "fuhrer", attempting to harness various mystic powers.

Sounds like the zombie levels in return to castle wolfenstein...yeah, the part where the game just became a bit wonky in general.
Kittie heavenly6 11-07-2004 02:45 AM
Okay I watched it and I have to say, so far I am hooked. It was really funny, and Im diggin' the whole Alchemy thing. I'll definetley come back for more of that series.
The Big Finale 11-07-2004 02:47 AM
Now I don't know about Al being grating. He's already my favorite character simply because of the oddness transpiring with him (like Ed throwing Al's head at the guy after he got it blown off. That was just plain wierd).

What really stressed me out, though, was the constant dodging of what Al and Ed really were. Throughout the entire fight scene, for example, it was like "COME ON! Just show us the freaking metal limbs already! We know he has them!" Of course, if I hadn't been told that thanks to a spoiler by Krang that I inadvertantly read (the one in the "Welcome" thread. Figures), I probably wouldn't have been so stressed about it.

The disturbing mother-zombie-thing at the beginning was freaky, serving only as a plot device to show us why Al and Ed are like they are and nothing more, but that'll doubtlessly becomes more significant as the story progresses and we learn more about the characters. And like stryker, I don't particularly enjoy the idea of just another freakishly strong teen with super powers. Given how easily Al was taken out, it looks like Ed is going to be doing most of the fighting, which kind of annoys me. I hope we get to see Al kick some more butt beyond getting his noggin tossed at someone else's.

Hmm. Looking at this overall, it seems like a pretty good series. Still, it doesn't seem like it's the type of series, at least not yet, to loan itself to speculation and theories, which makes me wonder why a whole forum was opened for it. But then again, having seen only one episode, while Krang and Shredder have seen the whole thing, I guess I'm not qualified to make that judgement yet.

Anyway, looks pretty good. I probably wouldn't of checked it out if our illustrious admins weren't so pysched about it. Thanks for introducing me to a reasonably entertaining anime!
Travis Bickle 11-07-2004 04:10 AM
That was a great show. I missed it at 12:00, so I caught it again at 3.

spoiler (highlight to read):
As soon as it started (and it started off pretty gory, may I add, but that's cool), my roommate (who just entered a fraternity, or however you spell it, and finished pledging yesterday) and came in drunk off of his ass (as I write this, he's passed out on the floorRoll Eyes ). He's a jock, so I'd expect him to make fun of me for watching it, but instead he pulled up a chair, sat down, and laughed so hard that he fell off the chair, which was expected.

Anyway, I really see no resemblence to Big O whatsoever, but that was an amazing episode. I am going to stop what I'm doing every Saturday night and watch FMA from now on. I can see why you guys made this little section of the forums here. I have to get the FMA PS2 game that is coming out next year after seeing some more episodes.

By the way, is it me, or does this remind anyone else of the GBA game Golden Sun?
Tickle Tickle 11-07-2004 08:32 AM
I like it. I like it alot.

That scene at the start scared the death out of me. Was that their mother?!

Were there any edits?
Asirt 11-07-2004 10:06 AM
I just saw the first episode, and I must say it has started off with a bang indeed. I was surprised to see that Ed's brother Al is a suit of armor. The same goes for Ed with his arm and leg. When I first saw it, that "thing" in the beginning was freaky. It looked like the experiment to revive Ed and Al's mother didn't work. Other than that, it's really cool so far, and I hope to see more of this series soon.
IanC 11-07-2004 11:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Super Umino
Were there any edits?

people on animeondvd who have seen it on fancub have said its unedited apart from a mess up with the ED (which will be fixed next week)

Im just going to say i wish i was in the US..... Oh well FMAs out on dvd in the UK in may!

(oh and all ive heard is the dub is great, of course most stuff FUNi does is great)
pen1300 11-07-2004 11:12 AM
Well, I decided to stay up and watch it since a WHOLE forum is dedicated to it. The dubs are not that bad. I find Al's younger voice to not be that annoying at all. I thought that later on I would be annoyed to hear his voice, but I didnt' mind. In fact, I find the dub to have been wonderfully done.

Liked the animation too.

I definitely need to give this show a few more episodes. I'm not overly impressed, but I did enojoy it. The overall meaning of this show is Science vs. Religion. I couldn't help but find myself REALLY wanting to watch HeatGuy J. I miss HeatGuy J...

None the less, I will def. try to give this show a few more episodes before I come to a MAJOR decision. A half an hour is way too short though, I wanted more...

Later,
Pen1300